20,000 Security Cameras For Bangkok

webfact

20,000 CCTVs for Bangkok

The Nation

30187439-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Governor Sukhum-bhand Paribatra yesterday promised to have more than 20,000 security cameras up and running across the capital before the end of this year. So far, half of them are already in place.

"We will install 10,000 more," he said, adding that many of these cameras would be installed in areas where student brawls have taken place in the hope of preventing such violence.

"Cameras will also be installed at communities with a high concentration of schools," he said, adding that the cameras would be linked to 88 police stations across the capital to boost public safety.

He said Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) would allow the Traffic Police Division and the Intelligent Traffic Information Centre to use information gathered via the cameras. "It would be very useful for drivers," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-01

Hm - if the EXTRA 10,000 are to be connected to 88 police stations, that gives around 113 to 114 channels per police station - on average a user can monitor around 10 channels as long as close inspection is not required - lets say it was 14 (I dont think it can be more and be of any use at all) so it means they will need to deploy 10 more staff per station 24 hours a day - thats 30 staff per day, or if they push it maybe 20 doing a 12 hour shift, and to allow for sick time, annual leave, etc, it probably will mean that each station needs to have an extra say 25 to 35 staff, just to make the monitoring of these security cameras of any value at all. Thats 88 x 25 = 2200 extra police resources.

I also have my doubts about the space available inside most police stations - space fo the control facilities and monitor walls necessary.

I do however totally agree that its a good idea - just that making a promise that all this will be up and running in 4 months... admittedly, I dont know how far they have progressed thus far, but this is a huge job, so I wish them well...

Hm - if the EXTRA 10,000 are to be connected to 88 police stations, that gives around 113 to 114 channels per police station - on average a user can monitor around 10 channels as long as close inspection is not required - lets say it was 14 (I dont think it can be more and be of any use at all) so it means they will need to deploy 10 more staff per station 24 hours a day - thats 30 staff per day, or if they push it maybe 20 doing a 12 hour shift, and to allow for sick time, annual leave, etc, it probably will mean that each station needs to have an extra say 25 to 35 staff, just to make the monitoring of these security cameras of any value at all. Thats 88 x 25 = 2200 extra police resources.

I also have my doubts about the space available inside most police stations - space fo the control facilities and monitor walls necessary.

I do however totally agree that its a good idea - just that making a promise that all this will be up and running in 4 months... admittedly, I dont know how far they have progressed thus far, but this is a huge job, so I wish them well...

I don't think that's the way it works. Read here, the principle is the same: https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Panopticon

post-155923-0-88752700-1343790584_thumb.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

Here's a guess of what they will be used for. They will be lined up around places that the cops loiter in the shade, and will pin point anyone smoking. Then the alert will go off, and the cop will watch you drop it on the floor and come hassling you for cash.

No problem. They'll just re-assign some of those plastic police officers that have been stationed along the roads for this task. They are well known not to do any mistakes, so should be completely safe whistling.gif

• Like 1

First the comments on other posts complain about the law and order and police in Thailand. Then when they do something that might help catch some of the gangsters and criminals, they make fun of the news. Thailand is Amazing. The Farang guests in this country is not amazing.

First the comments on other posts complain about the law and order and police in Thailand. Then when they do something that might help catch some of the gangsters and criminals, they make fun of the news. Thailand is Amazing. The Farang guests in this country is not amazing.

I'll agree with you that positive moves to increase law and order in Thailand are needed, but CCTV is not the answer. Even the police admit in the UK that cameras do very little to deter crime.

To genuinely address Thailand's 'lawlessness' the laws they do have need to be applied uniformly, strictly and without corruption. CCTV won't do that.

• Like 1

As with all issues involving the highly respected Thai Police, the additional cameras again begs one to ask the question...Who polices the police? I think many of these cameras should be pointed at points where police usually conduct there 'activities.' Cheers.

Properly installed, maintained, adequately staffed and monitored, the CCTV is a useful tool. But.....TIT. Why do I have the feeling this is just another con?

I used to run such an operation. Among others.

Little Roy

Edited by laffnliv

Your logic is flawless, but do not underestimate the Thai resourcefulness! They probably install some CCTV to monitor the walls of CCTV-screens, and so on and so on. There is only 1 BIB needed to watch 10 screens, which are filled with other CCTV walls whistling.gif

(Basically this means the next press release will be about expanding 88 police stations to the boys can sit inside and watch video screens all day. They may even be able to wear white t-shirts only while doing this+).

[/quote

Well, maybe that is a good thing....they won't be out harassing people for Tea money !!

how many of the cameras in the UK are actually manned?

i reckon it is very few, and, in the case a crime is committed footage is reviewed.

why should it be any different here, with eyeballs on every screen?

edit -- this article claims 1 camera for every 32 people.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/mar/02/cctv-cameras-watching-surveillance

Edited by nocturn

CCTV is not a solution. Punks beat up and rob tourists in broad daylight right in front of CCTV cams in Pattaya all the time. The police hardly ever look at them and many are said to be not working now. You literally have to be murdered in most cases to even get the police off their lazy asses to look at the footage.

It must be said, CCTV doesn't deter anybody. The gold shop have had them fitted for decades and everybody knows it. But they still get robbed with alarming regularity. CCTV is an excellent tool for figuring out most of what actually happened after the event.

But, if the western nations havn't the ability to grab information off them in real time and send police to the scene of an on-going crime (or set up some sort of software screening to do the same), I do not think Thailand could.

The time schedule of 4 months to set up 10,000 cameras, complete with repeater stations, cabling infrastructure, server rooms, monitor stations etc is almost impossible. Getting teh bugs out of teh system and operator training alone will take twice that.

But it's a nice facility which I suspect the police will not use.

As earlier posts have already said, it is not the number of cameras but the support required to monitor, direct resources and also to maintain them on a 24/7/52 basis.

The cost of manpower will be very high and there will be no guarantee that resources will be avilable from the existing police forces without expanding the police force, providing vehicles, accommodation etc.

Some posters are making jokes and sarcasm but several are pointing out the obvious which needs serious consideration BEFORE you deploy extra cameras.