Robert Amsterdam Law Firm Terminates Lobbying Contract With Thaksin

Buchholz

Firm Quits U.S. Lobbying for Former Thai Prime Minister

A small international law firm has ended its lobbying relationship with the former Thai Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra. Amsterdam & Partners on Monday submitted a lobbying termination report that says the firm's government advocacy work for Thaksin ended on June 30, two years after it began.

The firm provided "counsel and guidance with respect to Mr. Thaksin's interest in Washington, DC and abroad," contacting the U.S. Justice, State and Treasury departments, according to congressional records. Amsterdam & Partners partner Andrew Durkovic in D.C. was the lobbyist on the account.

Robert Amsterdam, the founding partner of Amsterdam & Partners, said the firm has done "virtually nothing" in the United States for Thaksin, a billionaire who has lived in self-imposed exile after he was ousted during a military coup in 2006. The firm, which has offices in Washington and London, has focused most of its attention abroad on helping Thaksin and Thailand's "red shirt" protest movement, which supports the former prime minister. Amsterdam & Partners, which used to be known as Amsterdam & Peroff, in 2011 filed a petition to the International Criminal Court in The Hague urging prosecutors to investigate crimes against humanity allegedly committed during the 2010 Thai government crackdown against the red shirts.

Continues:

http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2012/07/firm-quits-us-lobbying-for-former-thai-prime-minister.html

Legal Times - July 31, 2012

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if the op had not cut the copy and paste short you would see that Thaksin is still a client so there has been no parting of the ways

It is you who can't read. Don't blame someone else.

Well if the op had not cut the copy and paste short you would see that Thaksin is still a client so there has been no parting of the ways

It is you who can't read. Don't blame someone else.

Seems you need to read it again, especially the part that says " ... Amsterdam said, adding that Thaksin remains a client of the firm."

So clearly they have not parted ways on neither moral or immoral grounds so my post stands firm.

I know you like to disregard the forum rules, but the OP was posted in compliance with them. wink.png

Additionally, if one reads the article, they will discover that some services with Thaksin continue while there has been a parting of the ways for other services. wink.png

So contrary to opinion it appears that Thaksin does have a visa for the United States, though the Amsterdam Office did not have any involvement with this matter. Well thats cleared that matter up at least.
  • Like 2

has our man in Dubai not been paying his bills I wonder

they certainly havent parted ways on moral grounds

They haven't parted way : " ... Amsterdam said, adding that Thaksin remains a client of the firm."

Most probably, due to the current situation, the lobbying services are no longer needed.

Good to note too that the former prime minister, was convicted in absentia on a conflict-of-interest charge. It's a legal blog so there a bit more precise in their wording that our Sondhi's boys. The only thing Thaksin has ever been convicted for is a controversial land deal To be even more precise, for a land deal his wife did when he was in office.

the land deal was not controversial, it was corrupt and forbidden by law. All the million other cases against can't proceed without him.

Terminated Lobbying for Thaksin in Washington DC

The Nation

WASHINGTON: -- International law firm, Amsterdam & Partners, has notified the US Congress to terminate its lobbying relationship with former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The lobbying termination report was filed on Monday although it had taken effect since June 30.

In the lobbying report seen by The Nation, the firm's counsel Ronald M Jacobs informed that lobbyist Andrew Durkovic would no longer represent Thaksin.

The firm reported receiving less than Bt155,000 in its work since 2010.

The firm, previously known as Amsterdam & Peroff with its principal office in Toronto, Canada, was contracted by Thaksin to provide counsel and guidance in Washington DC.

In the past two years, the work focus was not in the US but in other countries helping Thaksin and the red-shirt movement.

Following the lobbying termination, Thaksin will remain a client of the firm, founding partner Robert Amsterdam said.

Commenting on Thaksin's trip to the US this month, Amsterdam said his firm had no involvement in obtaining the visa.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-01

you should know by now this man never give anything away. if he does he has to receive a lot more thing he gives

"It is unclear how much Thaksin has paid the firm. All of the quarterly lobbying reports Amsterdam & Partners submitted to Congress for Thaksin say the firm received less than $5,000, but they do not give an exact amount. Amsterdam declined to say how much Thaksin has given the firm.

Thaksin is scheduled to visit the United States in August to promote U.S. investment opportunities in Thailand, the Bangkok Post reported on Tuesday. The former prime minister, who was convicted in absentia on a conflict-of-interest charge brought in Thailand, secured a visa to travel to the United States, which generally won't let convicted felons enter the country."

I wish I could find a Canadian law firm that was this cheap !!!!

Is this a visit on behalf of the Thai trade folks?

From the

original link in the OP

Edited by mozzieslapper

I know you like to disregard the forum rules, but the OP was posted in compliance with them. wink.png

Additionally, if one reads the article, they will discover that some services with Thaksin continue while there has been a parting of the ways for other services. wink.png

So contrary to opinion it appears that Thaksin does have a visa for the United States, though the Amsterdam Office did not have any involvement with this matter. Well thats cleared that matter up at least.

Thaksin already said many times to his Reds (during rallies) that he could travel the whole world except Thailand. He, and the Reds, didn't understand that. Do you?

They haven't parted way : " ... Amsterdam said, adding that Thaksin remains a client of the firm."

Most probably, due to the current situation, the lobbying services are no longer needed.

Good to note too that the former prime minister, was convicted in absentia on a conflict-of-interest charge. It's a legal blog so there a bit more precise in their wording that our Sondhi's boys. The only thing Thaksin has ever been convicted for is a controversial land deal To be even more precise, for a land deal his wife did when he was in office.

the land deal was not controversial, it was corrupt and forbidden by law. All the million other cases against can't proceed without him.

Not exactly the truth. It's not that there wasn't a will to destroy Thaksin by any means possible, even the more futile, it's just that the courts couldn't find anything else that this very minor land deal.

Question to the mods : is it ok to cite wikileaks (with links) here ?

• Like 2

Not exactly the truth. It's not that there wasn't a will to destroy Thaksin by any means possible, even the more futile, it's just that the courts couldn't find anything else that this very minor land deal.

Question to the mods : is it ok to cite wikileaks (with links) here ?

There are dozens of cases against Thaksin. You don't know that? You really thought it was only the land case?

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

At least you are acknowledging him as the criminal he is - allbeit to a lesser degree as some of the more vocal anti-taksin posters here - Just glad to see a pro taksin poster such as yourself admit his criminal background and the 2 year sentence he's on the run from - Well done Jurgen!!, who says reconciliation can't happen? Actually don't answer that.

Edited by jonclark

RT@robertamsterdam: Rumors I no longer work for the Red Shirts are completely false. I remain as committed as ever to making sure my clients receive justice.

RT@robertamsterdam: I should also confirm I remain retained by Dr Thaksin with my main efforts focused on bringing the 2010 Thai regime to account at the ICC.

• Like 1

RT@robertamsterdam: Rumors I no longer work for the Red Shirts are completely false. I remain as committed as ever to making sure my clients receive justice.

RT@robertamsterdam: I should also confirm I remain retained by Dr Thaksin with my main efforts focused on bringing the 2010 Thai regime to account at the ICC.

Thaksin supporters can sleep tight now. He still has a fancy mouthpiece.

This is strictly about lobbying on USA soil of US government players.

It just means they want a free hand as lawyers if and when he steps on USA soil.

He may or may not have a visa, but they want the point to be bandied about

he has one, allegedly implied, because the US Gov. discounts his charges,

That of course doesn't mean it is so.

It could be a honey trap, to get him on US soil.

It could be they just don't care, but someone wants to fleece him

of some large amounts of questionable cash.

Or more simply;

His sisters government pulled back all warrants etc,

and have told the USA the charges don't matter to the Thai Government.

This is as much a pro-Thaksin press release as a formal announcement

of the secession of lobbying the US Gov. Much ado about nothing.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

Actually, it doesn't, as just like the original thread, there's been no proof offered. Amsterdam's word is as equally credible (un-credible) as Noppadon's.

It'll be cleared up when Thaksin actually enters the USA.

;)

Edited by Buchholz

"the firm has done "virtually nothing" in the United States for Thaksin"

Well they manage to get Thaksin a tourist visa to the USA.

That's priceless.

They say they had nothing to do with it in the article.

You have to read the paper upside down.

"the firm has done "virtually nothing" in the United States for Thaksin"

Well they manage to get Thaksin a tourist visa to the USA.

That's priceless.

They say they had nothing to do with it in the article.

You have to read the paper upside down.

No you just follow the link provided to the remainder of the text and read it.

• Like 1

Actually, it doesn't, as just like the original thread, there's been no proof offered. Amsterdam's word is as equally credible (un-credible) as Noppadon's.

It'll be cleared up when Thaksin actually enters the USA.wink.png

Lawyers know how to phrase their statement in such a way as to limit a possible responsibility for their words. "Amsterdam said his firm didn't assist Thaksin in obtaining the visa and isn't involved with the trip." doesn't mean a 'visa' is acknowledged. It's only that if k. Thaksin has a visa for the USA A&P were not involved.

So I guess we'll have to wait and see, only 30 more days in this month wink.png