R I P Gore Vidal

endure

Is he the guy who made shampoo ?

No, he's the guy who declared the end of American civilization.

He's also the guy who said that there was no risk of American culture dying – because it had never existed.

From an interesting essay from Gore Vidal circa 1981:

Some Jews & The Gays

http://www.thenation.com/article/169197/some-jews-gays

“same-sexers” are always an abstract other to the homophobe, a faceless mélange of stereotypes, projections and threats (most importantly, to another airy concept, the “family”). And, unlike real, flesh-and-blood people who have a tendency to evoke messy feelings of empathy and basic respect, abstractions are emotionally inert things, easily beaten and molded into whichever shape best fits your ideology.

Those are good quotes. I did enjoy some of Gore Vidal's works and probably especially his hilarious t.v. appearances.

However, I feel there is some criticism in order.

This is a man who was promoting the 9-11 conspiracy myth which is clearly a crock, among some other inanities.

http://www.slate.com...n_elitist_.html

Vidal was a paradigmatic, almost stereotypical representative of the traditional American elite—WASP lineage, prep schools, money, connections. Fashioning himself a latter-day Henry Adams, a valiant upholder of a civilization under siege—he compared America to Rome in its decadence—he repeatedly denigrated those arriviste groups he considered less than fully American.
Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

given his body of work i would suggest his death is worthy of being called news irrespective of his sexuality and not limited to the gay people in thailand forum.

Edited by nocturn
  • Like 1

given his body of work i would suggest his death is worthy of being called news irrespective of his sexuality and not limited to the gay people in thailand forum.

There's nothing stopping anyone from posting it in another TV forum but no-one else seemed to think it newsworthy enough.

There's nothing stopping anyone from posting it in another TV forum but no-one else seemed to think it newsworthy enough.

Generally these kinds of items get posted by the news sources here. I think people (including me) are shy about posting this kind of story on the general forum because NEWS has become a function of the management here.

• 3 weeks later...