Recommended Air Con Brands

I'm looking for an air con unit for a room about 35 sq meters. I know it is only natural to recommend brands we currently own but does anyone have experience with many brands? Looking for a quality quiet unit. Willing to spend extra for a quality one. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The brand is not so important. More important is to buy the correct size (slightly more powerful than you need) and make sure it's an inverter type.

Inverters make less noise and use less electric than the normal compressor types.

Yermaneewai.gif

Only the most expensive model lines are inverter. I bought a Mitsubishi model several months ago and very happy with it. The EER at over 15 was better than the Panasonic that I had been thinking about (as have several non inverters which have been good). Daikin is also considered a top line by most. Do not buy larger than required.

Thanks for your reply Yermanee. Do most brands feature inverter technology?

Yes every major brand does carry them. Mitsubishi and Daikin are considered to be the best, Doesn't mean the other brands are no good.

Yermaneewai.gif

Yes every major brand does carry them. Mitsubishi and Daikin are considered to be the best, Doesn't mean the other brands are no good.

Yermaneewai.gif

I have daikin in every room of my house and swear by them

• Like 1

Yermaneewai.gif

I'm also interested.

Home-pro seem to push LG inverter as the best (maybe best commission for the salesman of course) and they told me that Daikin don't have Inverter technology. Is that true?

Slightly radical advice - but - in my experience, as air conditioners need to be cleaned at least every six months (and ideally more often) and this process of disassembling the front and protecting the electronics is quite invasive; I'd suggest finding a reputable local shop and asking what brand they recommend as they, not some random salesman or shop employee, will be the ones you call to clean and service it.

• Like 1

Yermaneewai.gif

I'm also interested.

Home-pro seem to push LG inverter as the best (maybe best commission for the salesman of course) and they told me that Daikin don't have Inverter technology. Is that true?

Daikin does have inverter technologie for sure i have seen it.

I was told that an inverter is not recommended unless the room is bigger than 40sqm and you plan to run it all day.

Id like to know the awnser to that too.

Not exactly sure, but the Daikin installer told me that if the unit is only used at night or a small room the inverter won't operate properly.

He said small rooms are easier to control temperature where in bigger rooms, the inverter will help control temperature so the compressor doesn't run as much.

A farang electrician advised me to get Daikin and I did. Although they cost more than most brands, paid for itself within a year in lower electric bills. They do an excellent job with the least energy consumption.

A farang electrician advised me to get Daikin and I did. Although they cost more than most brands, paid for itself within a year in lower electric bills. They do an excellent job with the least energy consumption.

no user can judge performance and energy consumption of different brands. and that applies to the usual marketing rubbish of manufacturers too. needless to say that just being an electrician (Farang or Thai) does not qualify to judge an aircon unit.

Yermaneewai.gif

i have Daikin in every room in my home because Bill, Buck, Hank and Somchai recommended the brand during construction phase in 2005 and, with an experience of 6 years and a total of 19 units, i am very unhappy when comparing Daikin with the Panasonic units installed in another home.

oh yes, i too swear quite often dry.png

• Like 1

Some more things to think about . . .

You said a room of about 35 sqm. Is that in a house or Apartment/condo ?

What floor are you on ? and what is the sun path or is the room insulated ?

EER ratings on every aircon unit will tell how good it will save. Hard to fund a unit now under 10 but the higher number the better they have 15, 16, and even 18 on the market now

wWth the size of room you say, your looking at a smaller unit 8,000 - 12,000 BTU Depending on many factors I said above.

If a Condo or apartment, the size of the outside unit may matter to you. you may not want a large unit outside taking up space. So check that part too. Samsung makes the smallest units for outside, however others are close

I live in a small two story house. The unit will be for the living room downstairs which is approximately 35 sq meters. I will use the unit mostly in the late afternoons when the sun won't penetrate through to the room directly. The windows of the room face to the east somewhat. The house next door should block some of the rays I suppose.

Now I'm not sure what brand to get! Lol. Everyone seems to swear by their own brand.

How about powerbuy selection? There is a homepro near me as well. Which one is better? Either way I'll check them out today.

:)

I've just had to make a similar choice. In the end i went for 2 LG inverters @ 21,000 baht each. I am very happy with their performance so far. One factor for me was their (claimed) low noise 19 db. Can't say i've noticed much change in electrity bills but then i probably use them more.

I've just had to make a similar choice. In the end i went for 2 LG inverters @ 21,000 baht each. I am very happy with their performance so far. One factor for me was their (claimed) low noise 19 db. Can't say i've noticed much change in electrity bills but then i probably use them more.

That seems kinda cheap for an inverter unit. I have seen them only much more expensive how many BTU are they.

I live in a small two story house. The unit will be for the living room downstairs which is approximately 35 sq meters. I will use the unit mostly in the late afternoons when the sun won't penetrate through to the room directly. The windows of the room face to the east somewhat. The house next door should block some of the rays I suppose.

Now I'm not sure what brand to get! Lol. Everyone seems to swear by their own brand.

How about powerbuy selection? There is a homepro near me as well. Which one is better? Either way I'll check them out today.

smile.png

You will need a unit of abt 12.000 BTU. Wherever you buy or whatever brand make sure that the installation is included and if possible a 1 year free maintenance. Normally the smaller shops specialized in AC will give you better service, and sometimes better deals. Correct installation is very important.

Yermaneewai.gif

Yermanee

I'm not a typical user and only have an air con in the bedroom. Here in Loei province nights cool off nicely and I doubt I run my air con more than maybe 30 or 40 nights per year. I have a 9,000 BTU Samsung and had to have it charged once in 7 years. I do keep it clean. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Samsung.

Be aware that you can do better than major sellers price - I have local repairman buy and save about 15% from Home Pro price and he installs free.

We have very bad luck with LG brand - both inside and outside units - but was an early model to Thailand.

I have a building of 18 apartments equipped with LG. After 4 years our heavy users are all in need of re-gassing and we have had 2 mechanical failures. Apart from that everything is fine. Not a perfect record, but the LGs are cheaper than the Daikin and Mitsubishis. That said we have Mitsubishis at home....wonderful units! Quiet and coooool!