Bangkok Or Chiang Mai (Moving In 6 Months)

k1d

Hi,

I'm moving over to Thailand in the next 6 months and wanted to get your opinion on which place is the better place to move, considering this will be my first time in Thailand. A little about me, I'm 25 yrs old, I run my own web business as well as work a corp. job in the states. I'm looking to get away from the US for a long time (6 months) and Thailand seemed like a good place to do that.

As far as my corp. job, I'm not worried about it, because I think I make enough via online to cover my expenses when I get there. The two places I had in mind were Bangkok and Chiang Mai. I would like to know a few pros and cons that members like about each.

I'm originally from Florida, but currently live in Washington D.C. for my job. So cities don't bother me, as well as suburban areas are fine too.

I'm in the process of learning the language, but I know 6 months is not enough to be completely prepared when I get there. Currently doing pimsleur.

Anyway, before I keep chatting away about myself would love to get your opinions. I heard one thing about Chiang Mai about dogs roaming everywhere and biting people, that's a little crazy to me lol but anyways pros and cons :)

Thanks!

Do you want a loud (and hot) city life where you can do something 24 hours a day, or a slower, relaxed life where things shut down early and it's easy to get around town?

You can't really compare BKK to CM. Two totally different places and people.

At your age, I would base myself in Bangkok first. Perhaps a bit more to keep you entertained there, as a young person. Don’t forget to take trips to other areas of Thailand. Checkout the islands down south. Visit Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Spend a few weekends in Pattaya.

Six months isn’t really all that long so don’t try to get all settled in one place. Move around and work out of coffee shops and the like. As long as you are coming all this way you may as well see as much as you can. Whatever you do don’t freakout just because a dog barks at you.

Edit:

I just noticed your ridiculous dog post in the Chiang Mai Forum. Your may end up having little time for anything else if your plan is to “knock the F” out of any dog that barks at you. Just come to Thailand and chill. You may or may not enjoy yourself here, but it will be an invaluable learning experience.

Edited by villagefarang

BKK area is about 14 million people and Cm 1 million. Both have some areas that are OK and others not so much.

Hard to say with what you said, or should I say didn't say. I like CM but it is not for everyone. How will you get around ?

Traffic is very heavy in BKK Not so much in CM. Crime is higher in BKK but neither as much as from where you said you stayed in the states. Wash D.C. has the highest murder rate in America. More time will be spent in traffic in BKK but they have the subway, skytrain. and other things. Both have Taxi and busses. Item for Item CM is less cost 2- - 50% less. There is still a ton to do, nightlife and clubbing until 6 a.m. if you want. There is also more outdoor activities up north. If your into motorcycleing hands down Northern Thailand has some of the best in the world.

But i would suggest, at your age, and what you say you do, maybe start north and work your way down or the other way around. get a 1 month service apartment in Phuket or Hui Hin, Then move on. BKK for a month, Pattaya, Khon Kean, Chiang Mai. Everyone on Thai Visa like one area or another for one reason or another.

Or just get a easy to ride scooter and make a 6 month tour of thailand.

you are lucky your not tied down by your work or family and there is so much to see and do here.

11 years and I am still exploring Thailand and finding wonderful new things every day

I'd take BKK over CM in a heartbeat.

BKK exciting city, CM nice for visit but ready to hit road after a couple days. I think the one poster was pretty spot on when he said dull.

Yea, and get over your dog phobia, they are actually very beneficial as alarm systems and keeping burglars away.

Jumping into anywhere at the deep end is never wise and you should spend a holiday or two in Thailand before deciding to move here. Come see both Cities for yourself and then decide where to live, as other people can't experience it for you.

BTW; the dogs in Chiang Mai do not bite any more or less than the dogs in Bangkok !

Just curious, what made you pick Thailand out of 192 countries on the planet? Spin the globe and throw a dart? Friends at the office tell you stories about the place? You watched the Hangover part 2 and are determined to find out what "Bangkok has him" actually means? Now worries and enjoy the adventure.

how much do you make from your online business

At the moment I just about clear 6 figures with career and online business. Online business it self probably puts me back into mid 5 figures.

I just noticed your ridiculous dog post in the Chiang Mai Forum. Your may end up having little time for anything else if your plan is to “knock the F” out of any dog that barks at you. Just come to Thailand and chill. You may or may not enjoy yourself here, but it will be an invaluable learning experience.

Yeah, my post about the dogs... got a little riled up after reading everyone's posts about them being aggressive, but in general love dogs, not keen on the whole rabies thing.

Just curious, what made you pick Thailand out of 192 countries on the planet? Spin the globe and throw a dart? Friends at the office tell you stories about the place? You watched the Hangover part 2 and are determined to find out what "Bangkok has him" actually means? Now worries and enjoy the adventure.

Never watched the hangover 2.

Reasons for picking Thailand:

1. Everyone says it's amazing to live there

2. I like asian looking women.

3. It's cheap to live there, I currently spend $2,300 USD renting a one bedroom penthouse in DC... sucks but it's the best for my career and for me not to live in the not so good areas.

4. I want to travel

5. YOLO, lol I might be 25, but that doesn't make it any different than me being 30, 40 or 50+.

6. I want to frequentl vipassana over there

and more reasons, but off the top of my head, those came to mind. I use to getting picking up and just doing what I want. I moved to DC without never being here because I had a career oportunity. Now I see a different oportunity.

But i would suggest, at your age, and what you say you do, maybe start north and work your way down or the other way around. get a 1 month service apartment in Phuket or Hui Hin, Then move on. BKK for a month, Pattaya, Khon Kean, Chiang Mai. Everyone on Thai Visa like one area or another for one reason or another.

Your probably right, I'm definitely going to want to check out the beach area smile.png The two places I heard the most of is BKK and CM, I got one friend who lives in BKK he loves it because he's a city guy, but to me city or rural is not much of a issue. Just wanted to know your experiences in each was all.

how much do you make from your online business

At the moment I just about clear 6 figures with career and online business. Online business it self probably puts me back into mid 5 figures.

Yeah, my post about the dogs... got a little riled up after reading everyone's posts about them being aggressive, but in general love dogs, not keen on the whole rabies thing.

Never watched the hangover 2.

Reasons for picking Thailand:

1. Everyone says it's amazing to live there

2. I like asian looking women.

3. It's cheap to live there, I currently spend $2,300 USD renting a one bedroom penthouse in DC... sucks but it's the best for my career and for me not to live in the not so good areas.

4. I want to travel

5. YOLO, lol I might be 25, but that doesn't make it any different than me being 30, 40 or 50+.

6. I want to frequentl vipassana over there

That stood out. If you do decide to move to or are one day visiting ChiangMai I know a couple of great temples, far up in the hills, and far, far away from cars, businesses, etc. Send me a message should you decide on the Northern area. Around the time you come I may be up there, so it would be fairly convenient for ya.

That stood out. If you do decide to move to or are one day visiting ChiangMai I know a couple of great temples, far up in the hills, and far, far away from cars, businesses, etc. Send me a message should you decide on the Northern area. Around the time you come I may be up there, so it would be fairly convenient for ya.

Yeah, sounds good. I'm heavily into learning meditation and being more spiritual. I'm in the middle of reading "The Joy of Living" by Yongey Mingyur Rinponche.

On another note, been doing some reading on these forums and noticed this whole dark skin thing. Naturally being from Florida I was a beach person, so I'm fairly dark skinned. I would love to here some insight from someone who is dark skinned and how living in Thailand has been for them. I'm like Chris Brown's skin color.

chris_woman_beater_brown.jpg

Edited by k1d

Yeah, sounds good. I'm heavily into learning meditation and being more spiritual. I'm in the middle of reading "The Joy of Living" by Yongey Mingyur Rinponche.

On another note, been doing some reading on these forums and noticed this whole dark skin thing. Naturally being from Florida I was a beach person, so I'm fairly dark skinned. I would love to here some insight from someone who is dark skinned and how living in Thailand has been for them. I'm like Chris Brown's skin color.

chris_woman_beater_brown.jpg

Lol, you'll figure that out when you get here. You'll probably get many responses but this is one area where personal experience is the most important insight.

By the way, I completely forgot to ask about the type of Buddhism you were interested in, but I'm not too familiar with the branch you're practicing from. I'll ask around for some temples oriented to that type of practice. In the meantime you might want to check out the Buddhism forum. Camerata, FabianFred and a few others are great people, and their words speak volumes.

Most Thai people could care less if a white guy from Florida has a tan. Some of them look down on dark skinned Thai people, but it does not extend to rich farangs.

It's only six months of your life & you're able to support yourself from your online business. Just come to Thailand and have a look around and experience a different people & culture. Go to a few other countries in the region for a week or so. It's cheap to fly to say Cambodia/Vietnam. A bit of detail, buy an insurance policy for accident/medical cover.

Have a great time...

• Like 1

It's only six months of your life & you're able to support yourself from your online business. Just come to Thailand and have a look around and experience a different people & culture. Go to a few other countries in the region for a week or so. It's cheap to fly to say Cambodia/Vietnam. A bit of detail, buy an insurance policy for accident/medical cover.

Have a great time...

+1... perfect plan... don't forget China too...

I'd take BKK over CM in a heartbeat.

BKK exciting city, CM nice for visit but ready to hit road after a couple days. I think the one poster was pretty spot on when he said dull.

Yea, and get over your dog phobia, they are actually very beneficial as alarm systems and keeping burglars away.

Couldn't agree more, the Hos are better looking and more genuine in their monosylabic grunts between mobile calls and emails in exciting Bkk. It is a really big and really exciting city with lots and lots of Hos. CM is dull because there aren't so many Hos and no sex shows and other cultural stuff with Hos. Besides Bkk has more temples and other religious stuff like massage parlours which is good for filling in time between the Hos.

If you are into outdoor activities I would pick Chaing Mai over BKK. I've had a lot of fun cycling in and around Chaing Mai and I haven't been able to find good rides in BKK. Also good hiking, I don't know about the climbing but that isn't my sport.

I actually prefer the pace in CM, but BKK has grown on me over the years, first time in BKK I couldn't leave fast enough. Now I actually enjoy my visits. My first time in CM I didn't want to leave, but I only had a couple months until I had to be back to work.

At your age, I would base myself in Bangkok first. Perhaps a bit more to keep you entertained there, as a young person. Don’t forget to take trips to other areas of Thailand. Checkout the islands down south. Visit Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Spend a few weekends in Pattaya.

Six months isn’t really all that long so don’t try to get all settled in one place. Move around and work out of coffee shops and the like. As long as you are coming all this way you may as well see as much as you can. Whatever you do don’t freakout just because a dog barks at you.

Edit:

Ditto that.

The first time I came to Thailand was for a month. I realized I had not seen anything in a month. Try to get around a bit. I have not been to Krabi but I hear it is great and am making plans for when My youngest comes to visit again. He is 47

At your age if you want to get it all Bangkok is the place to be. You can get as much sex there as Pattaya or Phukket and the nite life is all you want. If you are into touring then there is lot to see rite in Bangkok.

Here in Chiang Mai we have a slower pace. The nightlife is here but no where near the choice you have in Bangkok. The weather is a little cooler.30 centigrade here now at 7:40 P M. Lots of Temples and you can pretty well walk to many places. If not walk there is always tuk tuk's and songtel's reasonably priced. You might have to dicker with some of them. But they can take you any where at a reasonable amount of time. In Bangkok that is not always the case. Traffic there can be a ordeal.

Both cutie's offer one day tours to different attractions.

• 1 month later...

Chiang Mai ( and more recently) Bangkok both suffer from flooding and I understand that the air quality in CM isn't all that great, so much so that people walk around wearing masks for a couple of months of the year. Having said that, with all the traffic and exhaust fumes in BKK, the air quality isn't much better there either.

Does all this help???

Edit:

Ditto that.

The first time I came to Thailand was for a month. I realized I had not seen anything in a month. Try to get around a bit. I have not been to Krabi but I hear it is great and am making plans for when My youngest comes to visit again. He is 47

At your age if you want to get it all Bangkok is the place to be. You can get as much sex there as Pattaya or Phukket and the nite life is all you want. If you are into touring then there is lot to see rite in Bangkok.

Here in Chiang Mai we have a slower pace. The nightlife is here but no where near the choice you have in Bangkok. The weather is a little cooler.30 centigrade here now at 7:40 P M. Lots of Temples and you can pretty well walk to many places. If not walk there is always tuk tuk's and songtel's reasonably priced. You might have to dicker with some of them. But they can take you any where at a reasonable amount of time. In Bangkok that is not always the case. Traffic there can be a ordeal.

Both cutie's offer one day tours to different attractions.

Don't forget the thrill rides in Bangkok. More exciting than the highest rollercoaster. Motorcycle taxi driver, yabbed up in the rain gettng through a traffic jam! Fun? Yes sir.