A Question On House Painting

Buying a new house in a 'moo baan". The house is up with walls and roof. The walls have not been cemented yet. Only brick and mortar at this time.

I want to use a better quality paint than what they use, both inside and outside the house.

What I would like to do is to ask the builder to use the paint that I will supply. The problem is that there does not appear to be any concept of "adjustments" to what you buy. They want to complete the house to their specs and then I do what I want after the fact.

The question I have is:

My understanding of steps are (limited knowledge here) that after the walls are rendered the next step is an undercoat. Then the actual paint goes on.

If they refuse to use the paint I supply, is it ok to simply paint over the paint they use? OR do I have to get the previous paint stripped first?

Hope I have been clear with my issue :)

I hope you can resolve this with the builders - I'm sure they would use a higher-quality paint if you paid the extra. It would be an awful waste to re-paint freshly-painted walls, you'd be better to stipulate the way you wanted the concrete walls painted in the first place (ie TSP solution to clean any grease or oil, a coat of concrete sealer first) than waste good paint.

If they refuse to use the paint I supply, is it ok to simply paint over the paint they use? OR do I have to get the previous paint stripped first?

no it is not ok because the actual paint coat is only long lasting if a quality primer coat has been applied properly. stripping is nearly impossible, i.e. you should force the contractor to use the material you are supplying.

I have found that all builders I have used will use the paint I supply, some will deduct the ammount they would have spent on paint and some dont.

I am sure the builder will use the paint you wish as long as you pay for it. Use a new cement primer as an undercoat, I have found Hydrofresh the best to use on the outside walls as finishing coat (at least two coats) and Duraclean low sheen on the inside walls. All wood work should be enamel paint.

Has it occurred to you to ask what paint they are planning to use?

If it's a moo bahn it's quite possible they have discussed the paint with a rep from the paint company or in any case are using perfectly adequate paints.

If you find it's just lime mixed with water......then take Naam's advice and "force" them ha-ha.

Minor point....a poster suggested Duraclean indoors.

This is indeed durable paint and can be used as a satin coat for woodwork.

However sheen walls I personally find a bit institutional even if they can be washed easier.

The fact is the matt emulsion, which looks much softer, is pretty damned good these days and so easy to touch up I prefer to just do that.