Bus From Chiang Mai To Pai

oceanm5

Information I found on the web that is now a bit dated said that air conditioned buses from chiang mai to pai do not actually use air conditioning and the windows cannot be opened, making the ordinary bus a better option.

Is this still the case, or are there new air conditioned buses now in which the air conditioning actually works?

The schedule I saw online shows ordinary buses leaving at the top of every hour and aircon buses leaving 30 past the hour, throughout the afternoon. Is the case every day of the week, including weekends?

Thanks for the info.

Information I found on the web that is now a bit dated said that air conditioned buses from chiang mai to pai do not actually use air conditioning and the windows cannot be opened, making the ordinary bus a better option.

Is this still the case, or are there new air conditioned buses now in which the air conditioning actually works?

The schedule I saw online shows ordinary buses leaving at the top of every hour and aircon buses leaving 30 past the hour, throughout the afternoon. Is the case every day of the week, including weekends?

Thanks for the info.

The mini van option is air conditioned and were pretty readily available last year in November directly from the bus station in CM.

Edited by quadman

I'm planning to take one of the public buses. Too many safety issues with minivan drivers. Anyone know the answer to my question about the air conditioned buses?

how about the safety-issues of the bus drivers? when you are in pai check behind the policestation the leftovers of a bus [the airconditioned one that you want to take] that didn't make it... some busses still are the old ones, open windows no aircon... there's no exact schedule of the aircon-ones, this goes random as anything else in t'land... minvans are still ok, i agree it depends on the driver but that's always the case, also with regular cars...

but there's a private company "aya", with schedule 5 or 6 times a day; their office is situated across the railway station, they drive pretty good i think, at least the vans they use are new and you can't say that about the vans that leave from arcade bus station so take your pick and keep your fingers crossed!

I'm planning to take one of the public buses. Too many safety issues with minivan drivers. Anyone know the answer to my question about the air conditioned buses?

Too many safety issues with all drivers in Thailand.

Please do not be fooled into thinking that because they drive for a living they are good drivers.

They aren't, 99.9% are really terrible drivers and drive dangerously taking unnecessary risks with little to no regard for their passengers.

I used Aya for a visa run to Mae Sai. We were an hour late getting started, then stopped just outside town and waited fifteen more minutes for the connecting van from Pai. When we got to Mae Sai, the schedule was so screwed that we had thirty minutes to eat, walk through Thai immigration twice, and Burmese entry office once. The drive home was possibly the most exciting transport I've experienced outside amusement parks. They picked me up at 7:30AM, and dropped me off at 7:00PM. I've driven that same trip in less than six hours.

All minivan rides are a bad option to a real bus, IMHO.

As for the state of the buses to Pai, I can't say. When I've gone there I rented a car.

As for the aircon thing, it's not all that hot in the mountains. If Green Bus has service there, I'd use them, but I'm not sure. They're at the main terminal at Arcade in Chiang Mai, and you could ask. Their buses are aircon, and in good shape.

Edited by anselpixel

mini vans use ac but it's taboo to open the windows. most people dont want them open and would rather breathe recirculated air (go figure).

a three hr ride is nothing to worry about safety wise, but you may reconsider overnight rides like from chiang mai to ventiane a safety hazard, I think my last driver was on something, acting weird, would not answer questions, skidded twice hard on brakes, strange red eyes.

I sat behind the driver and had my feet up behind his head (I thought this was funny, maybe it gave him bad luck).

Edited by jacktrip

I always take an a/c minivan.. although I too am no so trustworthy of the drivers! But depending on your funds and motivations, perhaps you could rent a car/taxi/motorbike to go there - I've had friends do all three and recommend all. :)