Ict Ministry Expands Free Wi-Fi Project To 200,000 Access Points Nationwide

webfact

My question is this... What will this free Internet be used for? Possibly emails, gaming, etc etc. Educational?

A great way for the govt to APPEAR to be helping the population.

To Control us, remember this is a government agency. And government agencies are bureaucratic and therefore stink, because it takes another century to make things happen.

Without any corruption cases under the table those agencies cannot exist, get it???

TOT free wifi registration confirmation:

post-21260-0-46424800-1344078945_thumb.g

I'm sorry, i don' t understand what they are saying, Can anybody explain me "IN REAL ENGLISH" what they mean ???? Looool

Edited by MaxLee

The information at the top of the screenshot tells me that the web page has been Google-translated from Thai to English.

As all information is shown twice on the page, I take it that the original page was Thai and English. Therefore, in the screenshot the first occurrence of a text item would be the Google translation from Thai and thus not in good, understandable English, the second occurrence must be the English text as it was on the original page.

The way I read the page, the use of this free wi-fi service has three restrictions:

1. With every logon, you can use it for 20 minutes, then you will be disconnected.
  2. You can log on multiple times a day, but only for a total connection time of 120 minutes for the day.
  3. Your registration for the free wi-fi service is valid for 180 days from the date of registration. After that you can no longer log on with the username and password you have been given. I assume that you can then register again for the same free wi-fi service and use it for another 180 days, and repeat this every 180 days or as necessary.

@Buchholz@whybother

@Bucholz......

I dont go through BKKAirport transit very often,sometime only.My experience with old wi-fi system there was negative:they wanted my name,passport number and they gave me

scratch card with password valid 15 minutes!Very stingy indeed!!And it was painfully slow!!!

The next time there - I was prepared and I used DTAC sim card instead,which I sticked into broadband modem.It worked very well and....surprise?....my sim card is not registered anywhere....so much about the LAW.

Stupid laws and regulations are....universally ignored.

Last time - when I was there,I discovered new free internet terminals at the beginning of every row of gates(C,D E,F),and wi-fi is available in the same area.I could use it without login and with no time limit.

Old system worked like before(passport number/name/scratch card) - but now with 60 minutes of time limit,nice change as a result of competition.Old system is part of wi-fi

network which provides paid wi-fi access,it explanes everything.(credit card charge 5$/10mins?)

I am not sure what is the situation now - 3 months later.Old internet shop TOT with price 100B/10 mins. is out of business?

I think,that new free wi-fi is part of government initiative.They do not need to register the users!Users are in controlled area - everybody is very REGISTERED already(Pax!)

with boarding pass,ticket,his face photoed by immigration cameras and his moves recorded by video cameras;in case of any serious abuse - they can identify offender in no time.

Such situation did not happen untill now however(5 years? of free wi-fi in airport) - the proof? - attitude of ladies from Q counter,who give you wi-fi password:they do not care

what name you write - nobody ever was interested about it.

@"whybother" - in Singapore Airport Transit you do not give anything,no names, no numbers,plenty of terminals waiting for you;places to connect with power and LAN cables/sockets,wi-fi and no questions.

But in town? - free wi-fi is everywhere provided by the same system as the Airport ... you have to register and you will not fool them,they do it properly,no way around.

And they have the law -" do not kamoyl your neighbours wi-fi"!They prosecuted somebody already(for comments on forum).

What Thai government will do with this problem?They can register users on- line;it is very easy.The biggest problem? - kids,who play games online clogging the system,

and expats downloading movies/TV...

I've seen lately some of the wifi access points for this service on my mobile phone when I was scanning for a connection.

I don't recall the exact wifi access point name it showed up as...but something like... ICT Free Wifi.

So there are some out there... But how widely available and in service at present, I can't say.

BTW, my GF registered tonight with her Thai ID number and got her user ID and password from the website...\

I tried with my info, and using my U.S. passport number, and got an "incorrect passport number" message. So presumably it only will accept Thai versions of passport numbers.

http://vip.totwifi.com/ict-nakhonratchasima/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

The information at the top of the screenshot tells me that the web page has been Google-translated from Thai to English.

As all information is shown twice on the page, I take it that the original page was Thai and English. Therefore, in the screenshot the first occurrence of a text item would be the Google translation from Thai and thus not in good, understandable English, the second occurrence must be the English text as it was on the original page.

The way I read the page, the use of this free wi-fi service has three restrictions:

1. With every logon, you can use it for 20 minutes, then you will be disconnected.
  2. You can log on multiple times a day, but only for a total connection time of 120 minutes for the day.
  3. Your registration for the free wi-fi service is valid for 180 days from the date of registration. After that you can no longer log on with the username and password you have been given. I assume that you can then register again for the same free wi-fi service and use it for another 180 days, and repeat this every 180 days or as necessary.

What;s the point of "free Wi-Fi" if you have these dumb a***** behind the back restrictions and confusion??? Isn't free Wi-Fi supposed to mean we can just use the internet for unlimited times "for free" ermm.gifermm.gif ?????

I tried with my info, and using my U.S. passport number, and got an "incorrect passport number" message. So presumably it only will accept Thai versions of passport numbers.

In reply to TallGuy, I had the same problem with a USA passport that was unacceptable. Perhaps it requires a prefix to identify the issuing country and they simply forgot to add that field?

I have seen.I wrote post about it: free internet in Bangkok International Airport - you can find there free terminals and 2 free wi-fi networks.One is old and working for years,

where you need to log-in,the new one works without any restrictions and no log-in is required.

This post I am writing from free wi-fi hotspot in restaurant.

Have you fallen from the Moon just last night??

A free wi-fi hotspot in a restaurant is not part of the governments free wi-fi policy.

If you need to log in, where do you get the user/password?

If you don't need to log in, then someone is breaking the law, since the law says that everything needs to be logged so that the government can track down anyone that breaks the law with things they put on the internet (such as posts here).

The Muslim terrorist could use the Free untraceable WiFi to denote the bombs in Pattani Kingdom.

Goodie!!! You already can't get a seat in the food courts at shopping centres because of all the kids sitting there using the free wifi. Why not just make it more affordable for thais to have it in thier homes?

Their randomly gonna ask 200,000 people to use there home wi-fi to expand there network.. cheesy.gif

a forthcoming email...

Dear 3BB ADSL Subscription Customer:

In order to meet the campaign pledge of Thai Rak Thai Pheu Thai Party to provide free nation-wide WiFi, we are seeking your help.

If you are currently using a WiFi router on your your service at home or work, please set the password option to "No Password."

Thank you.