The More I Read The More Confused I Get

Well after 14 years of living in the UK with me the wife(Thai) has agreed that it is time to move to LOS.

She holds a Thai (Expired and needs to renew) and UK Passport.

When we do make the move can someone explain (preferably in a way a 2 year old could understand) what is the ruling on Long term living in LOS.

I have read many posts and the more I read the more confused I get!!!!

I am not old enough for the Retirement Visa.....

Am I right in thinking:

1. Obtain a "O" Visa from the UK (Hull) first?

2. In LOS obtain a year Visa (How and what would I ask for here)?

3. Would I report every 90 days in Thailand or would I have to endure the dreaded Visa runs out of the country?

4. After the year is up,where would I go to renew the year Visa?

5. Do I need to show 800,000 or 400,000 in a Thai Bank(In my name only or a joint account)?

6. After 3 years of 1 years stays do I qualify to stay in LOS indefinately (no Visas)?

These questions have probably been asked hundreds of times already.

But I want to make sure that I will be applying for the correct Visa and know for sure what will be instore when I do relocate to LOS....

Ok, you are in the same position as I was 12 months ago. this is what I did.

Multi-entry non-O from Cardiff in my case. No problem, no financial requirements just a copy of your wife's Thai passport and your marriage paperwork. This visa gives you a nice buffer of up to 15 months in the Kingdom, you do need to do visa runs every 90 days, not exactly a chore though.

Within 30 days of the end of your last stay you can get an extension of 1 year on the grounds of supporting a Thai spouse. This is where you need to have 400k Baht in a Thai bank account or the equivalent in earned income. There are a number of threads detailing the pain you go through to get this extension so I won't repeat it here.

You could get a single entry non-o (cheaper) but that does mean you have to get your finger out in sorting your extension.

One important point, a non-O DOES permit you to have a work permit, no matter what some employers tell you.

After three years of uninterupted EXTENSIONS (not visas) you can apply for permanent residency, as to whether you really want to or will get it, there are several threads also on this subject.

Enjoy Thailand, we are :o

Edited by Crossy

Ok, you are in the same position as I was 12 months ago. this is what I did.

Multi-entry non-O from Cardiff in my case. No problem, no financial requirements just a copy of your wife's Thai passport and your marriage paperwork. This visa gives you a nice buffer of up to 15 months in the Kingdom, you do need to do visa runs every 90 days, not exactly a chore though.

Within 30 days of the end of your last stay you can get an extension of 1 year on the grounds of supporting a Thai spouse. This is where you need to have 400k Baht in a Thai bank account or the equivalent in earned income. There are a number of threads detailing the pain you go through to get this extension so I won't repeat it here.

You could get a single entry non-o (cheaper) but that does mean you have to get your finger out in sorting your extension.

One important point, a non-O DOES permit you to have a work permit, no matter what some employers tell you.

After three years of uninterupted EXTENSIONS (not visas) you can apply for permanent residency, as to whether you really want to or will get it, there are several threads also on this subject.

Enjoy Thailand, we are :o

Thanks for the info.

So have you now got the 1 year extension?

Was it easy to get?

Ha, working on it as we speak :o

There are several threads about getting the extension (use the search). It is not complicated per-se, just involves several trips to immigration and several 'under consideration' stamps along with a possible visit from the police to verify that you live where you say you do and are actually living with your wife.

I went for the multi-entry visa so that we could get settled and I could get work sussed before having the hassle of getting the extension, worked for me :D

Paul nearest place to you would be Hull Thai Consulate...............you could go for a Non Imm O Multiple entry based upon visiting family and friends, no need to send any paperwork (i.e marriage cert/wifes passport) that way .........thats what i/m on...........you can still extend once here based upon support of Thai wife.

Or if you feel happier do what Crossy says and apply to Hull and send the neccessary documentation for support of Thai wife off.

Google their site all the info is there and the apps are downloadable.

:o

Thanks Alan.

Just want to avoid the visa-runs if at all possible.

I read that getting a year extension in Thailand means that I would have to report to immigration every 90 days instead of the dreaded visa-runs.

But there is also posts that say this is not possible.

I sent an email to SunbeltAsia who have said "Apply for the "O" visa and extend to a year while in Thailand".

They seem to think that with this "extension of stay",I will only have to report every 90 days and this can be done by post as immigration only need to know where I am staying....

It`s all starting to make sense now.

I think my problem is that I have read too many posts on this forum....

There is that much advice to be had but the advice is not always the same.

Thanks again Alan.

Hope to see in the Wonderful bar sooner rather than later......

The 90 day is an address report that is only required if you stay for 90 days in a row. If you leave the country at any time it starts again on the day you return. So what you report with an extension is your present address each 90 either at an immigration office or by mail. It is not doing your 90 day visa trip as on a multi entry visa at immigration as some people think of it. So what Sunbelt told you is the way it works.