Thailand Or Bali ?

TwoDogz

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my money Bali has better looking beaches and countryside, seas are cleaner, food is better, people are friendlier, culturally more open, women better looking, language easier to learn and there are fewer tourists.

But there are some big drawbacks, for me at least: I would say its more expensive, particularly accomodation, visa's for stays longer than a few months are a pain and there are less nightlife options for single, older, male visitors that don't look like Brad Pitt (like me !).

Other thing I've noticed recently, is that there are an awful lot of Aussie tourists in the beach resort areas. Nothing wrong with that as such, but a lot of the bars and restaurants have become a tad one-dimensional.

If they had a decent retirement visa I would be there like a shot.

The bar and girly nightlife is not an issue.

Wondering about cost of living, rent etc and food.

For example what are wages like, if you can get a maid in Los for between 5 and 8k a month livein, whats the equivalent in bali etc ?

Are cars expensive to buy ?

Schooling ? although one school I just looked at was 350k baht a year most likely ++

I reckon you'd be better off in Malaysia

Bugger me....did not see that written in the headlines, must be that invisible ink stuff.

The choice is Thailand or Bali, there is a reason for Bali as the choice that does not exist in malaysia or anywhere else.

I reckon you'd be better off in Malaysia

Bugger me....did not see that written in the headlines, must be that invisible ink stuff.

The choice is Thailand or Bali, there is a reason for Bali as the choice that does not exist in malaysia or anywhere else.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box.

Well Bali is more expensive. But there seems to be a peacefulness to it. It is a Hindu culture as a result they often have little offerings with a stick of insense in them as you walk down the street I find it nice.

Tourosts are mostly from Australia and as such you can be guarenteed a night life if that is your thing. Taxi's are cheap don't know about the cost of vehicles but It sure looked like gas was cheap.

My Thai wife likes it there.

Al told Bali is a wonderful place to holiday in for a month but I prefer Thailand to be my home. I guess part of it is the ease to get to other countries. Plus the Wife's family all live here and she is a family orientated women.

I much prefer the beaches in Thailand and pretty much everything else. Personally, I was disappointed in Bali, but to each his own I guess.

Maybe I went at the wrong time of year, but it did not seem like a good place to surf to me (but I am not a surfer).

I go to Bali about 8 times a year, my brief synopsis:

Beer is more expensive, cigarettes are cheap. Gasoline is very cheap, as are cars and motorbikes. Accomodation is quite a lot more expensive than here. Avoid Kuta and there is a lot of beautiful countryside/beaches. Kuta is like a mini Pattaya if you need a wild night from time to time. Full of Aussies, but they are good for taking the piss out of, and I have actually made a few good mates over there. Traditionally Hindu as stated previously, however the island is now run by Jakaratans and Sumatrans so getting more and more Muslim by the day. Everyone speaks a bit of English, and as said the language is a lot easier to pick up.

I always enjoy my trips there, but always glad to get back to Thailand, could not see myself living there.

• Like 2

I go to Bali about 8 times a year, my brief synopsis:

Beer is more expensive, cigarettes are cheap. Gasoline is very cheap, as are cars and motorbikes. Accomodation is quite a lot more expensive than here. Avoid Kuta and there is a lot of beautiful countryside/beaches. Kuta is like a mini Pattaya if you need a wild night from time to time. Full of Aussies, but they are good for taking the piss out of, and I have actually made a few good mates over there. Traditionally Hindu as stated previously, however the island is now run by Jakaratans and Sumatrans so getting more and more Muslim by the day. Everyone speaks a bit of English, and as said the language is a lot easier to pick up.

I always enjoy my trips there, but always glad to get back to Thailand, could not see myself living there.

sounds like Phuket,lol.

I'm 80% Bali 20% Thailand, I posted my Bali trip report in the travel section about a month ago and it's all very very positive.

http://www.thaivisa....li-trip-report/

Thanks, I shall go and have a read.

Sounds more expensive though which I thought would be the opposite except for the tourist areas obviously.

I'm not certain it is more expensive, possibly housing is but that's all I would guess, difficult to know as a tourist on their first visit. One point to note is that health care facilities are pretty poor, even the best hospital in Densapar has a poor reputation amongst the ex-pats we spoke to.

Depends if you want to own a property, in Bali, you can own nothing. At least in Thailand you can own a condo. People will tell you there are ways around it but that is a load of bull

Renting both are similar prices I would guess, but teh quality in Bali is pretty damm good on the whole..

Alchohol much better to be in Thailand

Quality of Air give me Bali

Road safety, both are poor,

Food, Bali ok but Thailand far superior

Beaches Bali, wins

Nightlife Thailand ( if you are into that )

Price of a maid live in cheaper in Bali, but not by a great deal.

Corruption slightly worse is Bali, and potential for getting set up/scammed/bullshit charges much worse ( do not piss off the locals )

Retirement visa similar in both cases

Ability to set up a business, huge opportunities in Indonesia, and similar hoops to jump through

Bank rate interest Inodnesia every time 8% with governmant guarantee up to 100k USD ( equivalent ) easy money and reasonable return, and stable ecconomy.

Golf give me Thailand as Bali is damm expensive

Health cover/facilities of course Thailand, Bali is only a small island

Ok but if you were to change Bali to Lombok ( next island over ) I would say Lombok would win, but comparing only Bali, Thailand wins ( unfair comparisson in my mind)

• Like 1

Ok lets add Lombok.

Thanks for all the info, a few negative issues of concern, most though not an issue for me.

Nobody smokes in Bali

SC

EDIT: I feel guilty for that, and I think I owe the Indonesians an apology

• Like 1

to all those, who claim balis beaches are better than thailands...

could you please name the beaches, you like that much?

i have never seen any more beautiful beachsites than in thailand...

nowhere in the world you see that turquoise water, such fine sand, many palm trees, and easy to bath (no rocks etc)...

the scenery from the sea back to the island is always totally stunning and beautiful...

bali/lombok dont have nice beaches...

they are very wide, in the meantime really clean, and nice sand... but the water doesnt have that color, nor is the setting beautiful... water/tide is here a problem too, its more than in thailand and the sea is often very rough (also more than in thailand)...

the tide is a real issue on some islands, and some spots are possibly a good choice for experienced surfers, but beginners will have a hard time...

Edited by peppat

nowhere in the world you see that turquoise water, such fine sand, many palm trees, and easy to bath (no rocks etc)...

the scenery from the sea back to the island is always totally stunning and beautiful...

they are very wide, in the meantime really clean, and nice sand... but the water doesnt have that color, nor is the setting beautiful... water/tide is here a problem too, its more than in thailand and the sea is often very rough (also more than in thailand)...

the tide is a real issue on some islands, and some spots are possibly a good choice for experienced surfers, but beginners will have a hard time...

If Thailand has the best beaches in the world, I presume you have only visited Indo, Thailand and England.

Thailand has some nice beaches, but not the best by far. I have seen beaches that would make your jaw drop and pristine in the true meaning of the word, not a touristy gimmick.

But, if you have misspelt that word, then I agree with you.

Dude, if you have never seen beaches anywhere more beautiful than Thailand, you haven't travelled much, or you're Stevie Wonder.

• Like 1

To the OP, if you are really considering this, what sort of visa are you contemplating for Bali?

There are options depending on your status ( age ) social, tourist or easier if you are married to an Indonesian, If you are thinking tourist, after a few trips immigration will hassle you, it is not like Thailand

There's beaches and then there's beaches, some of the Thai islands have very pleasent "tropical island" type beaches, white sand, tourquoise waters, palm trees etc. Take the boat from Phi Phi to Ao nang and you'll see such places at Raley (sp) for example.

But equally as pleasant and appealing are the long curving beaches that go on for miles, thunderous crashing waves ideal for surfing and a nice offshore breeze all the time, the type of beach you'll find at Legian for example - I like both types and can live with either, not that one is any nicer than the other in my world.

Legian is not teh best beach for surfing, not by a long way.

Lombok has some nice stretches, and still clean and unspoilt.

Also for anyone contemplating a golf holiday to Bali, it is damm expensive, fantastic, views but real pricey. If you are going to do that, take the short trip to Lombok which has 3 courses which are much cheaper and one of those is a gem

Edited by KNJ

Legian is not teh best beach for surfing, not by a long way.

Lombok has some nice stretches, and still clean and unspoilt.

Also for anyone contemplating a golf holiday to Bali, it is damm expensive, fantastic, views but real pricey. If you are going to do that, take the short trip to Lombok which has 3 courses which are much cheaper and one of those is a gem

Kuta / Legian might not be the best for surfing - but my impression is that they are a great place to learn to surf. And for swimmers like me, its a great place to go in the sea - when the waves pick-up a bit, a dip in the sea there is fantastic fun.

Plus there's Uluwatu - another lovely place to be IMHO.

Seminyak when the sun is setting, sitting on the beach drinking ice cold Bintang.

Sanur is nice and chilled-out if you like a quieter scene.

Ubud is cool - bit like Goa.

As for visa's, I don't think the Indonesian retirement visa is anywhere near as easy to get as one in Thailand - the conditions are onerous and using agents to bypass the reg's can be expensive. There's a good Indo expat website with a visa section that gives some experiences of trying to get a retirement visa (google: Indonesian Expat).