3 Months Research And Finally Chose My New Car: Pajero Sport!

anon210

The Pajero Sport is an excellent choice. In addition to the goodies already mentioned, the auto gear box is a dream. Straight auto, push pull manual or the flappy paddle manual option. Add to that the cruise control and you have a great package for a smooth journey.

I'm disappointed with the Alpine equipment and the supposed screen options. Why supply an audio unit that doesn't have an iPod connection? The dealership told us that the GPS option was no good and we should use a separate GPS. Considering all the care that has gone into kitting out the Pajero, it's disappointing that they didn't get this bit right.

Mine claims on screen it supports Ipod. I Don't have one so I know little about these things but I do have a USB port in the dash and I just assumed that is where you plug the ipod to get it working. Is that not right? Do you know about my Bluetooth question?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pajero Sport is an excellent choice. In addition to the goodies already mentioned, the auto gear box is a dream. Straight auto, push pull manual or the flappy paddle manual option. Add to that the cruise control and you have a great package for a smooth journey.

I'm disappointed with the Alpine equipment and the supposed screen options. Why supply an audio unit that doesn't have an iPod connection? The dealership told us that the GPS option was no good and we should use a separate GPS. Considering all the care that has gone into kitting out the Pajero, it's disappointing that they didn't get this bit right.

Mine claims on screen it supports Ipod. I Don't have one so I know little about these things but I do have a USB port in the dash and I just assumed that is where you plug the ipod to get it working. Is that not right? Do you know about my Bluetooth question?

Where on the dash is the USB port. please. I haven't found one yet and neither has the dealership.

I haven't got as far as Bluetooth yet. I'd use it for the 'phone but I'm not inclined nowadays to answer when I'm driving. Too many loonies trying to get under my wheels. Perhaps a Bluetooth device plugs into the USB port.

It's daft that they have left these goodies unfinished. There's an opportunity for the dealership to fill the gap but ours didn't even know what was needed.

Where on the dash is the USB port. please. I haven't found one yet and neither has the dealership.

I haven't got as far as Bluetooth yet. I'd use it for the 'phone but I'm not inclined nowadays to answer when I'm driving. Too many loonies trying to get under my wheels. Perhaps a Bluetooth device plugs into the USB port.

It's daft that they have left these goodies unfinished. There's an opportunity for the dealership to fill the gap but ours didn't even know what was needed.

It's towards the bottom next to the cig lighter. I will go out in a few and take a picture for you and post.

It's towards the bottom next to the cig lighter. I will go out in a few and take a picture for you and post.

Thank, I'd appreciate that.

I have two switches there, one for the rear cabin a/c and one for the reversing alarm. Also two blanks but no USB socket.

I doubt if the USB is involved with the Bluetooth mike as is a different function connection.

Hard to believe that they would advertise Bluetooth but leave the mic out, maybe the mic is dislodged from the connector or something. Can you post the model of the Alpine stereo as that will make finding the info a bit easier.

Edit : Just checked specs and only the V6 PJS shows Bluetooth as standard

Cheers

Edited by Litlos

I doubt if the USB is involved with the Bluetooth mike as is a different function connection.

Hard to believe that they would advertise Bluetooth but leave the mic out, maybe the mic is dislodged from the connector or something. Can you post the model of the Alpine stereo as that will make finding the info a bit easier.

Cheers

The USB port has nothing to do with bluetooth. When I click on my on screen display to select bluetooth it says I need to plug in a microphone. When I asked the dealer what that was about they said I need to purchase the mike and have it wired into the stereo.

I realize the specs don't mention Bluetooth for the model I hgave but the onscreen display shows it and the sales man repeated multiple times that it's part of the unit but you need to wire in a mike.

I will get out there and take pictures of everything so things become more clear what I'm talking about.. including the stereo model.

Edited by Jayman

Cheers

The USB port has nothing to do with bluetooth. When I click on my on screen display to select bluetooth it says I need to plug in a microphone. When I asked the dealer what that was about they said I need to purchase the mike and have it wired into the stereo.

I realize the specs don't mention Bluetooth for the model I hgave but the onscreen display shows it and the sales man repeated multiple times that it's part of the unit but you need to wire in a mike.

I will get out there and take pictures of everything so things become more clear what I'm talking about.. including the stereo model.

Well looks like you have two choices.

A:/ Tell the dealer to arrange for the install at the same time as a service and lose the car for a day (would give at least a weeks notice on this) and 100% maintain the warranty (maybe). Probably pay double the going rate for the priviledge.

B:/ Contact an Alpine agent in Pattaya to arrange the install. http://www.alpine-asia.com/contact/20

I was shaking my head and saying why install the capability, but not the mic. Then I remembered about 2 years ago getting Bluetooth installed in BKK. Was the first installation for a very popular sound place, just after they introduced no talking on mobile while driving. Go figure.

So looks like the simple answer is the head unit has the capability, just needs a microphone installed.

Cheers

• Like 1

Cheers

Well looks like you have two choices.

A:/ Tell the dealer to arrange for the install at the same time as a service and lose the car for a day (would give at least a weeks notice on this) and 100% maintain the warranty (maybe). Probably pay double the going rate for the priviledge.

B:/ Contact an Alpine agent in Pattaya to arrange the install. http://www.alpine-asia.com/contact/20

I was shaking my head and saying why install the capability, but not the mic. Then I remembered about 2 years ago getting Bluetooth installed in BKK. Was the first installation for a very popular sound place, just after they introduced no talking on mobile while driving. Go figure.

So looks like the simple answer is the head unit has the capability, just needs a microphone installed.

Cheers

I asked the dealer to make it all good to go and they said they don't do that.. not even sell the mikes and I would have to go to a 3rd party shop to buy it and have it fit. My intention was to go with option 2 and have a local stereo shop do it. Thanks for the contact info for the alpine guys, I will check prices with them. I can't imagine it would be too much for the just mike but you never know.

Just went through the book for the m9 head unit cause I couldn't get the usb working. Called the number in the book and talked with the reps. Seems the unit didn't like my flash drive. Tried a different one and worked just fine. I asked about the Mike and they said its 3000thb just for the Mike needed to get the Bluetooth to work. Seems extremely excessive.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

post-32036-13606438752642_thumb.jpg

post-32036-136064393508_thumb.jpg

post-32036-13606439715829_thumb.jpg

Just went through the book for the m9 head unit cause I couldn't get the usb working. Called the number in the book and talked with the reps. Seems the unit didn't like my flash drive. Tried a different one and worked just fine. I asked about the Mike and they said its 3000thb just for the Mike needed to get the Bluetooth to work. Seems extremely excessive.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

The reason one USB drive work and another doesn't is likely due to the filesystem they've been formatted with. FAT16/FAT32 should work everywhere (but can't support large drives), EXT3/NTFS support is very patchy though...

Sent from my GT-I9100T

The reason one USB drive work and another doesn't is likely due to the filesystem they've been formatted with. FAT16/FAT32 should work everywhere (but can't support large drives), EXT3/NTFS support is very patchy though...

They are both formatted fat32.. 1 is a 1GB stick while the other is a 16GB HC card. It's the HC part that is probably causing the issues.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

You are right 3000 Baht is excessive. I had a quick look and it is a standard microphone 3.5mm connector on all the Alpine mic's pictures I can find. Found prices of USD30 on Amazon and USD16 on Ebay for compatible mic's. Would suggest going to see a professional looking car audio shop locally and see what they offer. Suspect it will be a "universal" type mic offered and a lot lower cost.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9100T

You are right 3000 Baht is excessive. I had a quick look and it is a standard microphone 3.5mm connector on all the Alpine mic's pictures I can find. Found prices of USD30 on Amazon and USD16 on Ebay for compatible mic's. Would suggest going to see a professional looking car audio shop locally and see what they offer. Suspect it will be a "universal" type mic offered and a lot lower cost.

Cheers

also, not sure where it gets plugged in. There is a 3.5mm plug next to the usb port but I think that is for audio input and not the mike. I will go to an audio shop and inquire and maybe just order a mike from ebay.

Edited by Jayman

• 1 month later...

Over six months ownership of the PJS and time for another ownership report.

Over time, I have absolutely no complaint on the car mechanically or on its comfort of driving. I just have begun to notice the strong noise made by the motor when at speed... But it gives me also a feeling of knowing what the motor is doing and how it is faring, so I would say that the feeling is mixed. The car could do with more insonorisation from the diesel motor. With experience and the cumulation of kilometers, I have to confess that some of my initial prudence has gone away, but I am still in pain of knowing when it is a well-placed confidence, when it becomes daredevil audacity. Let's just say that on highway, I tend to drive more assertively and to move into traffic. Some of my friends driving with me also said that it appeared as though I had been driving for ages - not sure how much of a compliment that could be.

I think I saw on another forum a question as to the safety tools present in the car. I recently bought an extinguisher (the heavy duty model), and I had since a few months, a reflective triangle, a yellow reflective vest, and an emergency set (starting cable, etc). That was found at Tesco Rama III, takes no space and is always good to have with you. I also have a couple of torchlights (useful to search something lost in the car).

As I said in another thread, the car is an ideal family car. Dog, baby, luggages all get loaded very easily. The sheer size of the car is an advantage when going upcountry, and a big hindrance in city. I do not suffer much of the issue of small sois, but parking and circulating can be sometimes cumbersome in Bangkok. Parkings such as Central Silom (despite the ramp being large enough) can be a torture for me, especially at night and with the hindrance of the A pillar. Nevertheless, I confess being now addicted to the higher position when driving, so not sure I would drive a sedan again. When I see the size of a Teana, I wonder how much easier to drive it can be in the same circumstances.

On the equipment side, I confess I sometimes wonder if I would not feel better with some more gadgets (temperature, etc, etc). The car feels quite bare in its equipment levels, but it does what I ask of it, namely to transport me safely, so I guess if I want better or more, I should look towards a higher price tag (Lexus, for instance to stay among Japanese brands). Obviously, the price tag is quite different too.

On the side of driving experience in Thailand, it is rare that on the piece of road leading from BKK to Hua Hin, I do not see accidents or the traces of accidents (at least one or two each time I drive there). Last week-end, going to Amphawa, I even saw two accidents at about a few kilometers interval (see pic). These accidents always happen on the rightmost lane, and generally concern four to five cars that have been tailgating each other at high speeds. Last week-end, I counted at least 5 chalk markings on the road indicating accidents on the 80 kms between Amphawa and Bangkok. I generally always keep my safety distances, and I avoid like pest those "convoys" of tailgaters. Other than that, I generally have to remark the courtesy and professionalism of Thai truck drivers, who almost always have the courtesy of informing you whenever it is safe to overtake (left blink) or not (right blink). I really appreciate that form of help and of courtesy, and it makes me view the general bad view of Thai drivers with a colder eye=20389.[attachment9:20130310195559.jpg]

On the side of fuel consumption, I will share with you today the total fuel consumption performance since I bought the car. https://www.fuelly.com/driver/blackpjs/montero-sport The very low figures are whenever I was exclusively doing city driving. On highway, I generally drive at 100 kph (sometimes more, such as the portion of highway marked at 120 kph leading to Ayutthaya). I use both excel and an Android app called "Mileage" to determine my consumption.

With that, I believe that the picture becomes about complete around the use of the PJS and its various advantages or inconveniences. Of course, I will keep updating with my experience, and adventures across Thailand.

post-156158-0-38232500-1363109341_thumb.

• Like 1

Think your report does confirm that the Mitsu has a far too noisy engine and that is the big difference between it and the Toyota 3.0. I too drive around a 100 kph and my Toyota 3.0 is really quiet at any speed after warm up.

Thats good to know TA. I'm sure you will be on Toyota's Christmas card list this year.

"Too Noisy" is not really what Freemindxs said. Yes the PJS engine makes a bit more noise than the Fortuner D4D, mainly when accelerating, but it is not a deal breaker. The Fortuner has other minor issues to even the score like less steering feel and more dated interior. Ultimately either one is fine as a PPV if you consider the whole package.

I frequently drive a PJS & Fortuner back to back and from cold starting the Fortuner is quieter than the PJS, but once they are warmed up there is not much to pick between the two of them. Under hard acceleration the Toyota engine is quieter, but on the flip side has a little less urgency. As Jitar has pointed out, I wouldn't choose one over the other based on engine traits alone.

Had my PJS for over a year now and it certainly handles everything I throw at it. Great family hauler, and I really appreciate the interior versatility. If I was in the same situation and needed to buy a vehicle now, I would comfortably make the same choice again.

The Fortuner I use is also a good vehicle, smooth, efficient, and gets the job done but the interior leaves me cold and the third row seat design from the dark ages really annoys me. Otherwise a solid and depandable vehicle.

Ok, about one week after having the car, I was on my first roadtrip to Hua Hin. An occasion of giving it a nice little run and unclogging the motor after mainly city driving.

First of all, contrary to what I thought and had read, the brakes on the Pajero are quite good. I had on two occasion to do an emergency stop (a car "unexpectedly" deciding to do its u-turn with me very close), and the brakes stopped me quite well. To be honest, I had anticipated and my foot was already on the brakes, but nevertheless the reaction was quite good (and no, the ABS did not have to come into play).

I kept it mostly to the limits: 80 and 90 kms/h. However, there were spots where I had to drive faster. Namely, whenon the rightmost lane, I was overtaking a truck... And a Fortuner was breathing down my neck. Maximum speed on this trip: 120 kms. And honestly? I believe that for a novice driver, that is already too fast with a SUV. I had to operate a quick correction of trajectory at 110 kms (I will be candid, it was my mistake there), and i could feel the car wallowing from side to side. HOwever, at no moment loss of control or tipping over, so I guess I am lucky not to have a Fortuner... Besides this, cornering at speed is quite good, but I found I was more comfortable if I did it at the maximum of 80 kms, depending on the tightness of the bend.

The other interesting part is my actual driver's experience with the thai traffic: I don't know which I hate most: trucks or drivers biting on two lanes at the time, or the occasional car swerving before lanes, cutting in front of you and then zipping to the rightmost lane. Or then, the sense of the thai engineers, who oblige you to drive 2 miles ahead to just u-turn and come back to turn into your hotel (because there is a continuous line whereby you cannot "legally" turn right...).

Gas usage... Obviously much better on highways than in town. So far, my tank was about 80 % full when leaving for HH with something like 180 kms of city driving . I managed to put up over 450 kms with the 80 % remaining (HH and back, with some bit of HH in-city driving, but very little stop-and-go as in the ordinary city traffic). So, some figures for the specialists to mull over:

656 kms / 59.93 L (today's tank) = about 10.94 km/l if I am not mistaken for a distance 1/3 city, 2/3 highway. Just a rough figure to consider, and to be further refined with other readings from different tankings, but then again, I keep a light foot and did not drive excessively fast. On exclusively highway, I am sure it is possible to get something approaching the Isuzu consumption figures with an adapted driving. Most of my driving was made with the rpm below 2500. I once again am very happy with my choice: nothing beats a SUV when it comes to facing potholes, irregular roads, or the heightened driving position.

There is one big black point however: when I picked the car, there was a stench of tobacco inside (probably the option mounters who smoked). I did not make big deal of it, persuaded it would go away... But it has been awful since one week. I feel as though I am a 10-yr smoker... Each time I drive, the aircon belches in an odor of tobacco which is just sickening (I don't tell you about my lungs or my clothes and hair that stink awfully!). The dealership told me to bring the car in and they would see what they can do. Anybody got an idea on this issue and how to solve it? Cleaning up the aircon circuits?

Sure

Buy an ozone generator. Can get them for as little as $30 on ebay. Just run it once for a few hours in the car.

Stinking smell.. not sure - but i bought a new hyundai in australia. Its made in Korea. They spray the underside with some kind of sealant to protect it from salt air on the container ship.

Took about a month for this stuff to "burn off" - horrible smell.

I am probably buying a PJS 2.5 4wd tommorrow. There are throwing in everything bar the kitchen sink... 1 year comprehensive insurance, 3 year servicing,etc... but any advice on must haves... Thanks

Well, they did not throw "everything" in. Just gave you the corporate offers of Mitsu. Take a look at this page and see whatever accessories you can ask: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.th/en/Parts-Accessories/Pajero-Sport

I would advise also to ask for a full rust treatment of the underbody... And ask them to take in charge the car registration costs + add in some fuel when you leave (typically, push for 1.000 THB and you may get 500). Ask also for a manual in English (free!).

I am probably buying a PJS 2.5 4wd tommorrow. There are throwing in everything bar the kitchen sink... 1 year comprehensive insurance, 3 year servicing,etc... but any advice on must haves... Thanks

Well, they did not throw "everything" in. Just gave you the corporate offers of Mitsu. Take a look at this page and see whatever accessories you can ask: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.th/en/Parts-Accessories/Pajero-Sport

I would advise also to ask for a full rust treatment of the underbody... And ask them to take in charge the car registration costs + add in some fuel when you leave (typically, push for 1.000 THB and you may get 500). Ask also for a manual in English (free!).

Tint/film

Scuff plates

3 in 1 immobilizer

Thats good to know TA. I'm sure you will be on Toyota's Christmas card list this year.

"Too Noisy" is not really what Freemindxs said. Yes the PJS engine makes a bit more noise than the Fortuner D4D, mainly when accelerating, but it is not a deal breaker. The Fortuner has other minor issues to even the score like less steering feel and more dated interior. Ultimately either one is fine as a PPV if you consider the whole package.

Hmmmmmmm, the less steering feel is the 50 psi in the tyres. laugh.png ................sorry.gif

Other than what has already been mentioned by others, reversing camera if thay are not standard anyway these days. You should be able to get the 1,000 baht fuel. There are a bunch of nonsense things they throw in such as chrome bits and pieces but I think most things are covered. There were a total of 11 extras on my list but can't recall what they all were but certainly window tint, reversing camera, insurance, service plan, rust proof, 1,000 baht fuel, carpet & rubber mats, and registration costs were amongst them.

Stinking smell.. not sure - but i bought a new hyundai in australia. Its made in Korea. They spray the underside with some kind of sealant to protect it from salt air on the container ship.

It seems to be in many new vehicles now. Both the Ford & PJS we bought last year had the same smell, I was not sure if it was he rubber mats or perhaps the rust proofing but in both cars it disappeared in a month or two. My kids preferred initially to drive with the windows down which is really saying something with the air quality of Bangkok, but all is fine now. It certainly wasn't tobacco though.

It seems to be in many new vehicles now. Both the Ford & PJS we bought last year had the same smell, I was not sure if it was he rubber mats or perhaps the rust proofing but in both cars it disappeared in a month or two. My kids preferred initially to drive with the windows down which is really saying something with the air quality of Bangkok, but all is fine now. It certainly wasn't tobacco though.

Back off the Curry's eh. laugh.png