Any Tips To Make Your Dogs Stop Stealing Chickens?

Take your dogs to the chickens. When ever they show ANY interest in the chickens give them a hit (not hard) to take their attention away from the chickens.

No need to hit the dogs. Take a newspaper, hold your dog, hit anything, like the wall, and make a lot of noise. It is very efficient and you never touch your dog. Just make sure your dog understand why you're not happy.

If you have many dogs, it's important to identify the leader. It's him (or her) you need to correct, the others will follow.

I don't mean hit the dog to hurt it, just to get it's attention. It would be no worse than giving it a fright by banging other things.

If you have ANY dogs, it's important to identify YOU as the leader.

Unfortunately few of us have Cesar Milan's abilities... But, you're right - our dogs have to recognise the human as 'pack leader'.

Even so, one dog will be the 'alpha' DOG if you have a few, and therefore its necessary to concentrate on that dog or, the dog causing the problem.

I've two 'hunters' amongst my four dogs and have found the best tool to be a water pistol with any problem behaviour - i.e.when they are too excited to pay attention to me.

I suspect the OP does not take his dogs for walks. Walking your dogs is the best way to sort out problem behaviour as, you're around when the problem happens and in a position to do something about it.

Edit - my dogs roam freely too as I'm in the fortunate situation of having no near neighbours - BUT, its no excuse for allowing your dog/s to annoy others or kill the wildlife. I'm not being sanctimonious here, as I'm still working on my two 'hunting' dogs.

Edited by F1fanatic
  • Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your dogs are stealing their chickens. Doesn't matter where you live or what colour your skin is - YOUR dogs are stealing THEIR chickens. The only way it will be 'a phase' is if you take control of the dogs that belong to you. The dogs are under your control (or not apparently). If your dog stole my chickens it would find itself no longer a dog - or anything else for that matter.

Ok, let me ask you a question. If one of us leave the front gate open, and one of the neighbor's dogs comes wandering in and eats all the food it can find, who's fault is that? Ours for leaving the gate open, or the neighbor's for "not having control over" their dogs? Personally, I think it's my fault for leaving the gate open, but apparently you think differently? Should I get all irate, and demand retribution from my neighbors when this happens?

Or say you own a small farm in the West. You make sure your chickens, and other livestock are properly enclosed / gated / penned, right? That's kind of common sense. If you care about your chickens, then spend 500 baht and build a pen for them, or put them under those dome things they use. I don't know, but if you let your chickens just wander around the streets freely, I'd say it's pretty stupid to get dismayed when something happens to one of them.

They're dogs, of course they're going to love to go after a chicken. Same as they go after cats, cockroaches, rats, toads, and basically ever other moving animal that's smaller than them.

Edited by cdnmatt

Your dogs are stealing their chickens. Doesn't matter where you live or what colour your skin is - YOUR dogs are stealing THEIR chickens. The only way it will be 'a phase' is if you take control of the dogs that belong to you. The dogs are under your control (or not apparently). If your dog stole my chickens it would find itself no longer a dog - or anything else for that matter.

Ok, let me ask you a question. If one of us leave the front gate open, and one of the neighbor's dogs comes wandering in and eats all the food it can find, who's fault is that? Ours for leaving the gate open, or the neighbor's for "not having control over" their dogs? Personally, I think it's my fault for leaving the gate open, but apparently you think differently? Should I get all irate, and demand retribution from my neighbors when this happens?

Or say you own a small farm in the West. You make sure your chickens, and other livestock are properly enclosed / gated / penned, right? That's kind of common sense. If you care about your chickens, then spend 500 baht and build a pen for them, or put them under those dome things they use. I don't know, but if you let your chickens just wander around the streets freely, I'd say it's pretty stupid to get dismayed when something happens to one of them.

They're dogs, of course they're going to love to go after a chicken. Same as they go after cats, cockroaches, rats, toads, and basically ever other moving animal that's smaller than them.

Except you rarely see soi dogs chasing one of the many 'free-range' chickens. They have somehow learned that this will result in them being killed - its only the dogs with owners that have the confidence to chase the chickens, cats etc.

We looked after a family members dog for a week and he caught and killed 10 chickens in that time. I ended up paying for them as I get on with my neighbours and wanted to keep it that way.

That mutt is not staying again because I don't want another two weeks of chicken for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I've waited a long time to be asked this question...tongue.png

So long, in fact, I've forgotten most of the answer!

Many years ago, I read a book by an Austrian colonel (Col. Most) who specialized in Schutzhund training for dogs.

Basically, it involved tying a chicken onto a conductive material (chicken wire?) and connecting to large battery. He claimed chicken nervous system was not much disturbed by this treatment.

Dog sees and grabs chicken. The dancing begins! Dog no longer interested in chickens....

Seriously though, this can be a capital offense for a dog, which might have had considerable time put into training, so warranted an effective intervention.

Lastly, I actually saw this book for sale in a Pattaya bookshop a few years back...

Edited by bobbin

How about if your dogs attack a cyclist, pedestrian, motorcyclist causing a crash or a child playing is it their fault too ?

Peoples dogs who have been let out go for me all the time when cycling. It's selfish.

I hope you have good insurance to cover anything that happens.

It's illegal not to have your dogs under control in the UK. I hope it is here too. I doubt leaving your front gate open is.

How about if your dogs attack a cyclist, pedestrian, motorcyclist causing a crash or a child playing is it their fault too ?

Peoples dogs who have been let out go for me all the time when cycling. It's selfish.

I hope you have good insurance to cover anything that happens.

It's illegal not to have your dogs under control in the UK. I hope it is here too. I doubt leaving your front gate open is.

There is no law that I know of that prevents dogs from running free. But there is a big difference between city life and the country. As I live in the country every one has 2,3,4 or more dogs to protect them. This is a common tribal practice. Snakes, night-time visitors, etc. are the dogs responsibility and it is not inconceivable that sometimes they get their job confused with noisy motor bikes and nighttime walkers etc. The property line and the road are difficult to distinguish for a dog. But if you are injured by a dog it is normal for the dog owner to be responsible. Not by law, but by community rules. Usually if your dog injured someone you will pay a sorry about that fee but sometimes if consistent the dog must go. Keep in mind this all takes place with free roaming dogs. Village Thailand is tribal in nature and tribal rules apply. People frown on those who go to police before going to the village leadership. Village leadership are historically the justice of the peace and therefore #1. City life and country life are far from the same!

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

You've got two choices. You either get your dogs under control or you get used to the fact that you're going to be paying for poultry that they've eaten whilst having unhappy neighbours too.

• Like 1

It's not your fault because you're a white guy - it's your fault because you have no control over your dogs.

What??? Absolutely everyone around here allows their dogs to run around freely without a leash, so I just followed suit and did the same.

They just recently discovered where the chickens are, so hopefully it's just a phase.

A lot of folk in your area probably drink and drive too.... I don't think I need to explain the fundamental flaw in your excuses beyond this example...

Your dogs, their chickens. Simple solution: muzzle your dogs, harder solution: make a choice to take responsibility and train your dogs (or dont have dogs)...

Next someone with a similar attitude to responsibility will be posting that their underage kid has driven a 'white Honda Civic into a Van killing some of the passengers'....

Yes a stretch, but I see the thin end of that wedge of responsibility here....

Watch the Dog Whisperer and learn how to control your dog.

The Dog Whisperer works in the western world where dogs are not free range (unconfined). This is not to say that his example is not very productive but simply put it does not apply to the general dog population in Thailand. His advice works but there is no way you can control free range dogs. My dogs respect me as pack leader while they are around but when they are off wandering they have other outlooks on their environment.Very good to control your dogs though when they are around.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

It's not your fault because you're a white guy - it's your fault because you have no control over your dogs.

What??? Absolutely everyone around here allows their dogs to run around freely without a leash, so I just followed suit and did the same.

They just recently discovered where the chickens are, so hopefully it's just a phase.

do the other dogs come home with chickens? if no then it is you and your lack of control of your animals.

The Dog Whisperer works in the western world where dogs are not free range (unconfined). This is not to say that his example is not very productive but simply put it does not apply to the general dog population in Thailand. His advice works but there is no way you can control free range dogs. My dogs respect me as pack leader while they are around but when they are off wandering they have other outlooks on their environment.Very good to control your dogs though when they are around.

I disagree.

Having worked v hard to teach my (free range) dogs not to chase motorbikes, cyclists etc. (one of them used to), I'm 100% sure that they have learned that this behaviour is not acceptable. (Edit - even when I'm not around)

They still bark when anyone comes near my house, but have also learned that to continue barking will not be tolerated. (I like them to bark initially, as its good for people to know I have dogs - I live in an isolated position)

I'm still working on training them to understand that they can only bark from inside our 'territory' (i.e. not outside the gates) and, on the hunting behaviour...

It always takes time and a lot of hard work - but can be done.

Edited by F1fanatic
  • Like 1

I disagree.

Having worked v hard to teach my (free range) dogs not to chase motorbikes, cyclists etc. (one of them used to), I'm 100% sure that they have learned that this behaviour is not acceptable. (Edit - even when I'm not around)

They still bark when anyone comes near my house, but have also learned that to continue barking will not be tolerated. (I like them to bark initially, as its good for people to know I have dogs - I live in an isolated position)

I'm still working on training them to understand that they can only bark from inside our 'territory' (i.e. not outside the gates) and, on the hunting behaviour...

Please tell us how. I have a lot of free time on my hands.

I had a Scnauzer in Canada that killed chickens. I bought an electric collar that works with a remote. I set him up with chickens in a horse stable with a dutch door: when he went to look at the chicken he got zapped repeatedly and jumped out of the stable: it set in his mind a fear of chicken and the problem was solved from then on.

Bit severe but dead chickens were not an option on the farm.

I disagree.

Please tell us how. I have a lot of free time on my hands.

The hardest part (at least for me as I'm not naturally authoritative), was to change MY behaviour to make my dogs understand that I'm the 'pack leader'. It really is down to attitude - nothing else.

The other thing I found v hard work, was to be consistent at all times - rather than thinking every now and again 'I can't be bothered/by the time I get there it will be too late' etc. etc. Now, if one has ignored me, I'll keep plodding after them until they eventually realise I'm not going to give up....

Once they get the point that they accept 1) the human is the pack leader and 2) the human is not going to 'give up' - its truly amazing how things change, and they start paying attention to an authoritative, deep shout, even when they can't see me!

As I mentioned previously, its still an ongoing project as I have two 'hunting' dogs that (if I'm not there quickly enough), get too excited to pay me attention. But I've found that a water pistol stops them immediately.

The alpha dog is my hardest problem as she is clever and determined. I've discovered that nowadays she keeps quiet when killing a snake, lizard, rat etc....

Even so, she's one hell of a lot better behaved now than previously and, as I've succeeded in stopping her chasing motorbikes (completely) and attacking other animals when I'm around - I know that I'll also get her to accept that hunting is not tolerated AT ALL!

havent read the entire thread so missed what breed or breed mix the dogs are, but chicken hunting is an age old problem that humans have been dealing with dog and human have been together. different training methods must be applied to different breeds. to train a saluki not to course hunt after anything that moves is a great deal more difficult than to train a GSD or a lhaso or a poodle or border collie. anyone owning a border collie knows that heeling is very difficult to train due to the genetically inbuilt 'push' of the collie to 'herd' anything that moves. my sister's aussie shepherd herds the dining room chairs before dinner:)..

\

loose range chickens, loose dogs and farmers have forever been 'at war'; dogs can be broken of the habit, but, like alcoholism and gambling, some dogs, once 'cured' , cannot be left, ever, near tempattion, because once a chicken hunt happens again, old habits come back. conditioning training is the most successful, but like F1 says, you can NEVER give in even once. im sure mangotogo can add his two bits about keeping whippets from running after things.

even more then being 'alpha', its about persisntance, and being aware, at ALL TIMES, htat there is a possibility that there might be a chicken near by and the dog might go for it. and u have to stop it from even going in to start mode : tensing up in the direction , looking in the direction of, moving ears or nose in teh direction of, a chicken.

a method i used with nero, my highly ,driven working line boxer dog who had an obsession to 'go for things' , was diversion. he had been trained partially to grab moving hands (sticks, rifles), and go for and jump on moving objects (people). but his training had never been finished. he also never ever gave up. i had to untrain him.it took him and me with a lot of internet help, about six months. one of the methods i used was diversion to chasing balls and pinecones (in plenty in our area, and therefore easy to throw in the air just as a bycycle came towards us, or a soldier walked past with gun. in the beginning this was done on long leash for optimum control.

electric collars, when used appropriately can work, but do not work on all dog breeds , especially the sensitive breeds (those that are bred to please the operator) as opposed to 'one track minded' breeds .for nero this wanst needed since more then anything else besides work, he wanted to please me. our little rat fox terrier mix on the other hand, had a very hard time restraining himself from going after cats and chickens no matter how much he wanted to please us, his terrier drive would take over. for us, leashing and gates were the answer for him.

the easiest, (least amount of time and work) most reasonable method is not to let dogs off leash or out and about when u arent in control of it... work on come/sit, and leave it! or stop . commands to teach the dog to respond regardless of what it was about to do, and make sure u have enough money to pay for any chickens that lose their lives...

and never let the dog run with othe3rs that do go for the chickens because the pack instinct takes over, and dogs learn from each other.

bina

My father in law had a similar problem when my brother in law found a soi dog in BKK and took it home to live in the village. Everytime the dog killed a chicken it cost my father in law 2000 baht in compensation. When i was a kid growing up on the farm after the second chicken we would be using the post hole digger to dig a grave for the dog but somehow here in Thailand a murdering dog has more right to life than a productive egg laying chicken ( even if 2000 baht is an massivly inflated compensation). That is life in Thailand !!!

Incidently the dog ended up back where it was found.

Take your dogs to the chickens. When ever they show ANY interest in the chickens give them a hit (not hard) to take their attention away from the chickens.

Your not far wrong with that..........you need to teach the dogs a negative connotation with chickens, hitting can work, the one I preferred training my dogs was freezing cold water. As soon as the dogs make a move for the chickens soak them......it will give them the shock of their lives and they won't be long learning to connect chickens with being freezing. Just use your left over songkran water pistol.....and try not to hit the chickens, wait till you see their reaction if you hit them cheesy.gif

ps......another cracking dog training tip.......get a large plastic bottle and half fill it with shale / pebbles. If you have a problem with your dog charging or excessively barking, smash the bottle on the floor in front of it.......remember smash the floor, not the dog, again it gives them the fright of their lives.

So if your sitting at home and the door goes, and the dog goes wild this is the best way of stopping it.......get someone to knock your door, and as the dog makes a move, smash the bottle down......keep doing it, until it sinks in. It won't take long and you'll be amazed at how quickly the dog will learn.

Dogs are all about learned behaviour, teach them correctly and you will have the best pet imaginable.

Depends what kind of dog, try training a wee ankle snapper, no chance.

A favourite method that has been posted many times is this:

Tie your dogs legs together so he cannot move.

Tie a dead chicken round his neck and leave him for a couple of hours.

The experience will be so bad that he will never chase a chicken again.

Sounds terrible and I have never tried it but some members have and swear by it.

I don't know about tying the legs. Tying a dead chicken around their necks...can be effective. You're really the problem here. Your dogs are causing problems. You would be a problem anywhere on earth. If you become too much of a problem, someone will eliminate the problem.

-xen-

2.000 Bath for a chicken? Only Pricefighting chickens around in that village? Crazy!

But OP, you can borrow me your dog(s) the chickens here, come-fly-jump in my GF fenced garden

and eat the dogs dry food.

My GFs dogs do nothing against it!

Also no other dog on the road kills chicken here.

I look now for a strong airgun European style for the chickens! :-)

And OP, maybe feed your dogs more, a really full stomach can also help against unnessecary movement.

A fence cam help to. ;-)