Vast Majority Of Thais Have Never Read Constitution: Poll

webfact

Vast majority of Thais have never read Constitution: poll

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Most Thais have not read the Constitution, believing it is hard to understand, out of reach and boring, according to the results of an Abac poll released Sunday.

About 83 per cent of respondents had never read the charter, saying they found it confusing and pointless to read since the legal language is hard to comprehend. They also disapproved of the Opposition's move to censure the government, believing the no-confidence debate could be premature.

Around 16 per cent said they had read a lot or all of the charter, because they use it in their work or to solve problems in their life.

Asked what provisions of the charter they want to see changed, 56 per cent said those relating to protection of people's rights such as their safety, security, stability and health issues; 52 per cent said provisions on injustices such as discrimination; 49 per cent said provisions involving justice procedures; 46.5 per cent said those relating to Thai people's freedom; 37 per cent said provisions on elections of Senators and MPs; and 37 per cent said treaties ratified with foreign countries.

Over 91 per cent believed public participation was needed in the charter amendment and 8 per cent believed the matter should rest with Parliament; 64 per cent did not see the benefit of charter change and believed only politicians would gain from changes; 35 per cent said they saw how people would benefit from the charter amendment; 68 per cent believed the charter amendment would result in violence and conflict; 32 per cent did not believe so; 77 per cent did not think that reconciliation bills would bring about reconciliation.

Asked if a censure debate was appropriate, 52 per cent believed it was not because the government still performs well and the debate would bring about only political turmoil and hurt Parliament's causing Thais to have a more negative attitude towards politics; and 47 per cent agreed with the move, saying the debate was a check on the government and would allow the public to access information and allow intensive checks on the government.

Of the total, 57 per cent said their happiness was at the same level; 30 per cent said they were less happy; 12 per cent said they were happier; 81 per cent identifying as red shirts said they were happiest when Thais are united and displayed loyalty; and 76 per cent identifying as yellow shirts said they were happiest when Thais are united and demonstrate their loyalty.

The poll was conducted on 2,275 people over 18 years old in 17 provinces across the country from July 25 to August 4.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-06

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since most Thais don't read, then this is obvious. Perhaps they could make it into a comic book?

Must be a slow news day....

In comparision, how many British citizens have read the Magna Carta, or American's the declaration of indendence ?

People in power dont want their citizens to read or understand documents like this as this under mines their power base

What are you on about?

Since most Thais don't read, then this is obvious. Perhaps they could make it into a comic book?

In comparision, how many British citizens have read the Magna Carta, or American's the declaration of indendence ?

People in power dont want their citizens to read or understand documents like this as this under mines their power base

Not sure about slow news, more a question of where The Nation have put the emphasis of the poll. They have given top billing to something fairly irrelevant regarding how many people have read the consitution yet buried further down it states that 52 % of people polled say the government is performing well. Though I am sure we are all well aware how useless polls are in Thailand, never the less I would have said this was the more significant finding.

Not sure about slow news, more a question of where The Nation have put the emphasis of the poll. They have given top billing to something fairly irrelevant regarding how many people have read the consitution yet buried further down it states that 52 % of people polled say the government is performing well. Though I am sure we are all well aware how useless polls are in Thailand, never the less I would have said this was the more significant finding.

When it is taken out of context it is significant.

Sent from my HTC phone.

When it is taken out of context it is significant.

Sent from my HTC phone.

The context of the question is about a censure debate and wether one should be held - the majority have said no because the government is performing well, unless I missed something?? It is interesting that the'other paper' gives this top billing and relegates the number of people who read the constitution to a single sentence at the end.

The context of the question is about a censure debate and wether one should be held - the majority have said no because the government is performing well, unless I missed something?? It is interesting that the'other paper' gives this top billing and relegates the number of people who read the constitution to a single sentence at the end.

and the debate would bring about only political turmoil and hurt Parliament's causing Thais to have a more negative attitude towards politics

Perhaps you should consider the insignificance of a small poll and a majority result smaller than the likely margin of error.

Should poll MPs, see how many of them have read the constitution.

They have read it but through the glasses provided by either the Red or Yellow Shirts, which somehow gives different readings....magic glasses I guess.

I think the most significant information is the 91% who said that the public should be participating in charter amendment and the over 50% rates in charter amendments only satisfying the thievies in power and the violence and conflict that would come with it. The convicted fugitive criminal and his pack of thievies have had it pointed out to them by the public that a winning election vote is not a mandate to do what they want. Well done the Dems for taking ot to the CC.

• Like 1

I have NEVER read the constitution of my country. But, if I were still living there, and they planned to modify it, I certainly would try to get information on the changes that government would want to bring.

Are Thai doing it? Not sure. For sure, some are not, and just follow "advices"

I think the most significant information is the 91% who said that the public should be participating in charter amendment and the over 50% rates in charter amendments only satisfying the thievies in power and the violence and conflict that would come with it. The convicted fugitive criminal and his pack of thievies have had it pointed out to them by the public that a winning election vote is not a mandate to do what they want. Well done the Dems for taking ot to the CC.

"Well done the Dems for taking ot to the CC."

Even though it was found that they had no grounds to do so, which, if only they had read the constitution, they would have known?

Is anyone surprised that the common folk haven't read it? Even PM Yingluck admitted earlier this year that she hadn't read it... and as such, was unable to comment on the proposed changes involved!!

Edited by GeorgeO

Google "Stable Constitution" , homework for politicians, not only in Thailand. A finnish team of researchers gives a mathematical analysis of the problem.

But mathematics are an unknown science in Thailand..... ethesis.helsinki.fi/julkaisut/eri/.../consiste.pdf

What are you on about?

I think you'll have to write slower for Moruya Edited by Cardiff1963

"Well done the Dems for taking ot to the CC."

Even though it was found that they had no grounds to do so, which, if only they had read the constitution, they would have known?

Found by who? The PTP & red shirt 'leaders'? predictable.

The CC didn't think they had no grounds & they are a lot more credible than you. or the other 2.

• Like 2

Total adult literacy rate is about 94%, 2005-2010

http://www.unicef.or...statistics.html

The literacy rate does not say anything about the interest in reading...

But I can understand why people don't bother with reading the constitution. Before anyone can finish reading, it will either have changed, or there has been a coup....

Edited by Gimbo

In my neighborhood (160) apartments there is only one Thai I have ever seen with a book! Just because someone learned how to read does not necessarily mean he/she is reading. And btw. you don't get knowledge and education just by reading but by thinking about what you have read and that don't happen as we all know by now: it creates headaches!

What has literacy got to do with the desire to read??

If you meant "desire to read" you should have written that. "Don't read" can encompass ability and inclination, and a generalized assertion of fact. If the statistic offends, please ignore it. If you have evidence for your assertion, then please justify it... with evidence. Cheers, RM.

Edited by Reasonableman