Vast Majority Of Thais Have Never Read Constitution: Poll

webfact

Most expats haven't read their home country's constitution, but there is not a large group of people saying it should be changed either.

In Thailand, there is a large group of people that want it changed, but very few of them have read it or know what they want changed.

Sent from my HTC phone.

The 'problem' is that most people rely on their political leaders to tell them what's in the constitution,

the implications of such, and what "needs" to be changed. But there's nothing unusual about Thailand in this regard.

And don't forget... Constitutions are not drafted with readability for the masses in mind but instead to provide a solid legal framework for governance.

In mature Democracies there would be a lively for & against argument going on. Never ending TV debates to support one's cause, and more of a chance for the 'middle ground' to gain an understanding they are each happy with.

Obviously the die-hards won't be influenced, but it's the 'undecideds' who will decide.

I think the point of your last statement probably only needs:

"Constitutions are not drafted with readability for the masses in mind"

Well we've got "never ending TV debates" but maybe you're not referring to Thai Visa.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone surprised that the common folk haven't read it? Even PM Yingluck admitted earlier this year that she hadn't read it... and as such, was unable to comment on the proposed changes involved!!

I think you'll find she hadn't read it but was able to comment on it. She was sure whichever draft was used would be OK. Everyone else who wasn't as clever as she is should read them before commenting.

I can't find the thread mentioning this as I'm a bit busy but I'm certain that's pretty much right.