Thai Govt'S Approval Rating Drops Below 50 Per Cent: Poll

webfact

Govt's approval rating drops below 50 per cent: Poll

image_20120806121235FA595762-016B-F941-32D071B69AF1C6DD.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 6 - Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's approval rating outstripped that of her government, which was rated at only 4.8 out of 10 points, but 70 per cent of the public still want the premier to continue her work, according to an opinion poll released on Monday.

The Bangkok Poll was conducted among 1,177 respondents aged above 18 nationwide gathering their assessment in rating the Yingluck Shinawatra administration’s performance after one year in office this month.

Ms Yingluck herself was rated at 5.31 out of 10 points on her work as prime minister, up 0.02 points from the previous evaluation on the occasion of her government's six-month performance—and barely half a point ahead of her government.

Regarding public satisfaction on the government's performance, the respondents gave less that 50 per cent approval -- 4.84 points -- down 0.10 point from the six-month evaluation.

High profile Deputy Premier Chalerm Yubamrung topped the achievement list of ministers with 22.3 per cent -- less than one in four respondents -- voicing approval, followed by Deputy Prime Minister/Interior Minister Yongyuth Vichaidit at 5.1 per cent.

The largest number of respondents, 29.8 per cent or nearly one in three of those surveyed said no minister demonstrated an outstanding performance.

The government's most approved performance rate was in drug suppression (27.9 per cent or less than one in three respondents), followed by low ratings in regard to the water management and flood rehabilitation scheme (15.4 per cent) and raising the minimum wage to Bt300 per day (13.7 per cent).

Regarding the performance of political parties, the ruling Pheu Thai Party was rated at 5.28 out of 10 points, the coalition parties at 4.37, while the Opposition Democrat Party got 3.55 points.

Nearly three out of four persons -- 70.4 per cent of the respondents -- say they want Ms Yingluck to continue her work, and only 9.8 per cent said a Cabinet reshuffle is necessary.

Meanwhile, Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Monday that the Opposition will not lodge a no-confidence motion until the debate on the budget bill is finished and the government delivers its one-year performance statement.

Mr Abhisit said there's still time to collect information to scrutinise the government, and the current parliament session will not last until December.

Following recent polls indicating that the public did not want a censure debate, Mr Abhisit commented that the public might worry about possible turmoil or might not yet know enough information as the ordinary House session has just resumed.

"The censure is not something to worry about as it is a checks and balance mechanism which requires the House to present facts and information," Mr Abhisit said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-08-06

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The message is clear (landslide ?) : 70 per cent of the public still want the premier to continue her work

Following recent polls indicating that the public did not want a censure debate. It's a clear message, the public is fed up with all these maneuver from the opposition, just let the government work.

Abhisit, who has never been known for his sharp mind, worries that the public might not yet know enough information. Mr Abhisit, the message is clear, 70% of the public want you to let the government do its job. Please go away until you have something constructive to say.

• Like 1

70 per cent of the public still want the premier to continue her work, according to an opinion poll released on Monday.

blink.png What work?.......sad.png

Its a translation mistake, the actual text was

70 percent of the public still want the premier to actually do some work, according to an opinion poll released on monday

No translation mistake, 70% of the Thai population is satisfied with the job of the government.

And if I read the poll right, Yingluck personal score is 54% .

In an earlier post regarding a announcement from Mr Amsterdam, I was saying that the opposition should be really desperate to try to make such a big thing of what was basically a non event. WIth figures like that, I can understand why the opposition is now running in panic mode.

• Like 1

No translation mistake, 70% of the Thai population is satisfied with the job of the government.

No. 48% are satisfied with the job of the government.

70% don't want Yingluck to step down, and to stick it out until the end of her term.

And Yinglucks personal score is 53.1%

Edited by whybother

70% think she should stay in the Job, when the idiot comes out with stuff like this?

(and yes, i use the word Idiot with purpose)

http://www.dvb.no/an...scontents/22272

Worst of all, she thought that the citizens of the 10-ASEAN states, estimated at 600 million, represents half of the world’s population.

I guess the opposition is right to be in "panic mode" - how can they possible compete with such a person? cheesy.gifclap2.gifcoffee1.gif

Edited by MunterHunter
  • Like 1

The message is clear (landslide ?) : 70 per cent of the public still want the premier to continue her work

Following recent polls indicating that the public did not want a censure debate. It's a clear message, the public is fed up with all these maneuver from the opposition, just let the government work.

Abhisit, who has never been known for his sharp mind, worries that the public might not yet know enough information. Mr Abhisit, the message is clear, 70% of the public want you to let the government do its job. Please go away until you have something constructive to say.

So you want the opposition to stop doing the job they are paid to do. Dont forget they were also voted into position by their supporters also thai. Just 2 sides of the coin.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Ms Yingluck herself was rated at 5.31 out of 10 points on her work as prime minister, up 0.02 points from the previous evaluation on the occasion of her government's six-month performance—and barely half a point ahead of her government. This poll proves beyond a doubt that the Thai public are like most other democracies, they prefer that their politicians do nothing, rather than do something harmful. Ms Yingluck has done nothing better than most, a stellar performance indeed! As for poor Chalerm, what can he do, he's in charge of everything.....and everything is a SNAFU.

No mate. 800 people said they wanted her to continue. You can give them all a seat in an A380

• Like 1

Jurgen you make a very good spin-meister.

Like the red shirts & the loud-mouthed PTP pollies, you seem to be advocating a one-party state where the opposition is silenced a much as possible. Most democracies allow opposition.

When the current government carries out policies that benefit Thailand, they deserve support. When they drop the baton & concentrate on absolving criminals, they will rightly find opposition from many sides.

Lastly, the 74% who want the PM to carry on seemed to me to answering a question about a cabinet change. 10% or so don't want it but I'm sure they know that it is not Yingluck who will make that decision.

The largest number of respondents, 29.8 per cent or nearly one in three of those surveyed said no minister demonstrated an outstanding performance.

I'm sure the PM will be disappointed and maybe even a bit peeved. Her handpicked cabinet, selection criteria knowledge, capabilities, potential and suitability; and the public thinks 'no outstanding performance'?

Well, at least we have a fully justified reason for a shake-up after the 12th this month

So you want the opposition to stop doing the job they are paid to do. Dont forget they were also voted into position by their supporters also thai. Just 2 sides of the coin.

Agree, they were voted in the opposition because people thought they were no fit to lead the nation.

Unfortunately so far they haven't make much progress.

_

Agree, they were voted in the opposition because people thought they were no fit to lead the nation.

Unfortunately so far they haven't make much progress.

_

They've made more progress than the encumbents who are fixated with one man.

Are you aware of the failed wages policy? Money stealing? Even the focus on the war on drugs falls way behind the Dems.

Thank you biggrin.png

Like the red shirts & the loud-mouthed PTP pollies, you seem to be advocating a one-party state where the opposition is silenced a much as possible. Most democracies allow opposition.

When the current government carries out policies that benefit Thailand, they deserve support. When they drop the baton & concentrate on absolving criminals, they will rightly find opposition from many sides.

Lastly, the 74% who want the PM to carry on seemed to me to answering a question about a cabinet change. 10% or so don't want it but I'm sure they know that it is not Yingluck who will make that decision.

For a functioning democracy, you need (at least) two strong party competing each other.

Today you have one, PT.

Unfortunately the democrats are not willing to play their part. Abhisit is a leader of the past, a civil servant with the emphasize on "servant".

As long as the democrats can't find a strong leader there will be an unbalance in Thai poliltic.

Don't blame PT for that.

_

Edited by JurgenG
  • Like 1

For a functioning democracy, you need (at least) two strong party competing each other.

Today you have one, PT.

I disagree - entirely.

PT isnt a party, is a poor excuse for an.. err.. excuse... a cover story for Thaksin.

Unfortunately the democrats are not willing to play their part. Abhisit is a leader of the past, a civil servant with the emphasize on "servant".

And how, exactly, isnt PT a servant (to Thaksin) in every way?

As long as the democrats can't find a strong leader there will be an unbalance in Thai poliltic.

Actually i think Abhisit could be a strong leader, had he been given an opportunity to govern the country without the red shirts hounding him (illegally) every step of the way, using terror tactics and intimidation, threats and actual violence, he would have stood as one of the better Thai leaders (IMHO) - of course there are shady elements of the democrat party which need to be culled (there are in all elements of Thai politics and you would be a fool to think otherwise, regardless of which side you support!) but i think he would have been one of the better ones.

Thank you biggrin.png

Today you have one, PT.

Don't blame PT for that.

PT have their own problems with the (lack of) strength with their "leader".

• Like 1

Thank you biggrin.png

Today you have one, PT.

Don't blame PT for that.

_

I agree that you need at least 2 strong parties for a fully functioning democracy. The Dems are a strong party despite your futile efforts to belittle them. Your thrust is for them to be quiet - strange behaviour for someone who appears to advocate democracy.

Whether Abhisit is a leader of the past or not is not yet proven. Calling him a servant is hypocritical given that the current PM is the servant of the big paymaster.

Are you suggesting that the Dems should look for a corrupt, rich, criminal who doesn't know what nepotism is? No, I don't blame PT for who is chosen by the opposition to lead them.

When the Thai populace stops regarding corruption as acceptable, the country can then make a real effort to join the developed world.

Today you have one, PT.

Don't blame PT for that.

At least Abhisit tries to serve his country! Cannot say that of Yingluck, the crime boss in Dubai and their loyal ghouls!

PT is not a political party, it;s a criminal entity!

Face it, their leader is a on the run convict!

So her score has plummeted downward 12% in just a couple of weeks.

The masses are wising up.

thumbsup.gif

at least a recent poll showed that the PM has 66% support...

Edited by Buchholz

thumbsup.gif

Dream on.Abhisit would give his right arm for Yingluck's ratings which are startlingly good.Given the PM's lack of experience and a lack lustre economy, the Democrats should be powering ahead.Few doubt however that a general election held now would result in another solid PTP government.Even the most embittered opponents must try and understand why this is the case.

• Like 1

Thank you biggrin.png

Today you have one, PT.

Don't blame PT for that.

_

You are absolutly right. The Dems have no strong leader. The Thai politics is unbalanced.

My conclusion of your post is:

The Dems are not corrupt enough (Abhisit was not corrupt enough).

This is why they lost.

You can win elections only by big corruption and popularism. PT is the best party of Thailand. You are able to follow my argument?

• Like 2

thumbsup.gif

Dream on.Abhisit would give his right arm for Yingluck's ratings which are startlingly good.Given the PM's lack of experience and a lack lustre economy, the Democrats should be powering ahead.Few doubt however that a general election held now would result in another solid PTP government.Even the most embittered opponents must try and understand why this is the case.

The lemming syndrome, more the habitat is limited (rice pledge policies) more they take refuge to the "leader" who gave them the wrong direction.

thumbsup.gif

How do you think an election featuring only people who have read and understood the constitution would fare?

In an earlier post regarding a announcement from Mr Amsterdam, I was saying that the opposition should be really desperate to try to make such a big thing of what was basically a non event. WIth figures like that, I can understand why the opposition is now running in panic mode.

70% Don;lt want a change

This only means they don't want the 'world class trouble' of a change of government at this time.

this means no more riots and relative calm, most want that.

But the real story is not the percentage wanting a period of stability,

but the lack of government and ministers personal approval in general.

"...High profile Deputy Premier Chalerm Yubamrung topped the achievement list of ministers with 22.3 per cent -- less than one in four respondents -- voicing approval, followed by Deputy Prime Minister/Interior Minister Yongyuth Vichaidit at 5.1 per cent.... "

The most in your face active guy is a paltry 22%

and her deputy incharge of keeping the country running is a pathetic 5.1%

Yes folks the SECOND best Govrnment Minster is getting FIVE point ONE percent approval.

All the REST are so far below him to not even warrant being mentioned.

Edited by animatic

You are absolutly right. The Dems have no strong leader. The Thai politics is unbalanced.

My conclusion of your post is:

The Dems are not corrupt enough (Abhisit was not corrupt enough).

This is why they lost.

You can win elections only by big corruption and popularism. PT is the best party of Thailand. You are able to follow my argument?

Yes, I can follow your argument but it's weird.

You mean strong leaders are always corrupt ? I don't know enough about American politic but if I follow you right you mean Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher were corrupts ? I can't say I agree 100% with what they did but I don't think anybody can call them corrupt.

Face the facts. Abhisit is a nice guy to have for dinner but to lead a party to victory, sorry, he doesn't have what it takes.