Sustainable Local Timber

Morakot

I looking for information about soft and hardwood, in form of sawn timber, in Thailand. What is good, sustainable and reasonably affordable?

• Softwood for a craft project: I'm looking for something similar to Japanese cedar (Cryptomeria japonica). What kind locally available conifer timber would be sustainable and reasonably affordable?
  • For hardwood, I understand that eucalyptus timber, very durable and to some extent water resistance, is sustainable and reasonably affordable.

Detailed information and experience very much appreciated.

Probably not what you need to know but here in in the southern peninsular there is a sort of weed tree ( don't ask me the name) looks like a Tamarind....cut down lots in our farm and noticed ants and bugs don't attack it after I stripped bark from good size stick for a a waliking stick...and also to support climbing plants....555??.

.Soft wood methinks not unlike a pine or..don't cut 'em anymore let 'em grow .( they do get big)

Probably not what you need to know but here in in the southern peninsular there is a sort of weed tree ( don't ask me the name) looks like a Tamarind....cut down lots in our farm and noticed ants and bugs don't attack it after I stripped bark from good size stick for a a waliking stick...

Thanks. Actually, I'm looking for sawn timber. Tamarind sounds interesting though.

(I heard its heartwood is hardwood, but the sap is much softer.)

Edited by Morakot