Double Pricing!

MrZM

Well whether its systematic, not systematic or any other type of process the people I have spoken to who have lived here for years have very rarely come acrross this double pricing.

Edited by rinteln

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well whether its systematic, not systematic or any other type of process the people I have spoken to who have lived here for years have very rarely come acrross this double pricing.

Yes, I believe you have mentioned that several times now. Lets not go round in circles on this. Out of the kindness of my heart I have highlighted a few hotspots where this happens for you which are renowned for it. Best of luck.

The scams are aimed at 'first time' tourists.

That's why the scammers always ask "is this your first time to Thailand?"

The scammers realize if you are on the ground here more than a few days, you are already on 'red alert.'

Sad but true.

Yes, I believe you have mentioned that several times now. Lets not go round in circles on this. Out of the kindness of my heart I have highlighted a few hotspots where this happens for you which are renowned for it. Best of luck.

Yes I belive you have also mentioned your points a view times. Lets also not go around in circles. Out of the kidness of my heart I have also highlighted the fact that several people I have spoken to here have no experiences of the double pricing you are talking about. Best of luck.

Yes I belive you have also mentioned your points a view times. Lets also not go around in circles. Out of the kidness of my heart I have also highlighted the fact that several people I have spoken to here have no experiences of the double pricing you are talking about. Best of luck.

Haha, that sounds more like an attempt to save face on your part but if it makes you happy then you carry on. We'll forgive you as you have only been there 2 months. Careful ordering that chilli crab though, they'll sting ya for it.

If charging somebody ten times as much for entrance to a park based on their appearancee ..Thai/White isnt classed as racism, some need educating

If you hadn't just insulted many posters on this thread with your comment that they need to be educated, then I would have let it go, but I suggest you go back and read some of the posts on this thread. You can get an education yourself as the subject has been well covered already. There's no need to backtrack.

I think it's just shameless, immoral & unethical, taking advantage of visitors.

There's no need to preach. Each of those adjectives are subjective and open to personal interpretation... and as for the last one "taking advantage of visitors" - that's the whole point of the tourism business in every country - making a profit from tourists. If tourists were paying local prices for everything, there wouldn't be a tourist business.

There's no need to preach. Each of those adjectives are subjective and open to personal interpretation... and as for the last one "taking advantage of visitors" - that's the whole point of the tourism business in every country - making a profit from tourists. If tourists were paying local prices for everything, there wouldn't be a tourist business.

Yes there would. Just a fairer one where more locals would benefit instead of a greedy few. For example if I go on holiday for two weeks I would set a spending budget for those two weeks. I wont spend more than that and I'll probably make sure I spend it all. Having shameless, immoral operators in the tourist industry just means that less of my money is available to other people reliant on the industry and I have a less memorable experience as things cost me more so am less likely to return which has a further knock on effect on repeat business.

Haha, that sounds more like an attempt to save face on your part but if it makes you happy then you carry on. We'll forgive you as you have only been there 2 months. Careful ordering that chilli crab though, they'll sting ya for it.

Errrm...no not really sitting here worried about saving face....lol. Besides you are carrying on just the same as me so surely the same applies.

I can only go on what my freinds tell me. They have been here for years and tell me double pricing is very rare. Cant see why they would lie.

Ok 2 months isnt a long time but to do a cpmparison. If I was in Thailand for 2 months I would/could experience double pricing everyday. I have been here for 2 months and not experienced any as far as I can see.

As I said before Im sure there may be some but seems quite limited. The point and origin of our little dispute here is whether Singapore has double pricing. Ok if it means you win then yes I accept that there must be some somewhere in Singapore but in no way can it be compared to Thailand in the same breath............surely !!!

Yes there would. Just a fairer one where more locals would benefit instead of a greedy few. For example if I go on holiday for two weeks I would set a spending budget for those two weeks. I wont spend more than that and I'll probably make sure I spend it all. Having shameless, immoral operators in the tourist industry just means that less of my money is available to other people reliant on the industry and I have a less memorable experience as things cost me more so am less likely to return which has a further knock on effect on repeat business.

It's more of the same - preaching. "immoral", "shameless", "fair", "unfair". I find these adjectives constantly shoved in my face "objectionable".

As already explained, the Thais are paying the discounted price. The only people complaining are resident foreigners who know the local price and want the same. They're not even part of the tourist industry. The ones who make a scene are likely considered as no more than trouble makers by the park staff. Do you think any real tourists would even care.

When I'm a tourist anywhere, I go to the attraction, pay the price and enjoy. If I consider the attraction too expensive for my budget I skip it.

You're making a song and dance over absolutely nothing at all.

• Like 1

It's more of the same - preaching. "immoral", "shameless", "fair", "unfair". I find these adjectives constantly shoved in my face "objectionable".

As already explained, the Thais are paying the discounted price. The only people complaining are resident foreigners who know the local price and want the same. They're not even part of the tourist industry. The ones who make a scene are likely considered as no more than trouble makers by the park staff. Do you think any real tourists would even care.

When I'm a tourist anywhere, I go to the attraction, pay the price and enjoy. If I consider the attraction too expensive for my budget I skip it.

You're making a song and dance over absolutely nothing at all.

The Thais pay a discounted price? The farangs pay retail?

So the entire country is having a sale except for farangs?

You catch on fast, but scrub the word "farangs" and substitute "tourists" or "non-Thai". You're taking it far too personally - there's more tourists and non-residents here than just "farang".

• Like 1

You are nearly there... the full price is paid by anyone who is not eligible for any discounts offered by that particular business... depending on the business, discounts may be available for students, pensioners, children, online booking, advance booking, bulk purchases, discount coupons, employees of partner companies, etc... in some cases (although it is very rare) there may be a discount for all Thai residents, and in some of these businesses, lazier cashiers may judge eligibility for such a discount on appearance rather than ID (although the unprofessionalism of such staff is unlikely to be limited to this particular aspect of their job)...

Do you understand now?

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

• Like 2

You are nearly there... the full price is paid by anyone who is not eligible for any discounts offered by that particular business... depending on the business, discounts may be available for students, pensioners, children, online booking, advance booking, bulk purchases, discount coupons, employees of partner companies, etc... in some cases (although it is very rare) there may be a discount for all Thai residents, and in some of these businesses, lazier cashiers may judge eligibility for such a discount on appearance rather than ID (although the unprofessionalism of such staff is unlikely to be limited to this particular aspect of their job)...

Do you understand now?

For instance, today, I had a coconut. It cost 50% more for me than a Thai person.

Are you saying coconuts are discounted for Thai people?

For instance, today, I had a coconut. It cost 50% more for me than a Thai person.

How much did you pay for your coconut? In the streets in Pattaya they vary from 20 to 30 baht - but Thais won't get them cheaper. Right now they're 19 - 22 baht in the supermarkets.

Do you understand now?

No, you are saying that.

Errrm...no not really sitting here worried about saving face....lol. Besides you are carrying on just the same as me so surely the same applies.

I can only go on what my freinds tell me. They have been here for years and tell me double pricing is very rare. Cant see why they would lie.

Ok 2 months isnt a long time but to do a cpmparison. If I was in Thailand for 2 months I would/could experience double pricing everyday. I have been here for 2 months and not experienced any as far as I can see.

As I said before Im sure there may be some but seems quite limited. The point and origin of our little dispute here is whether Singapore has double pricing. Ok if it means you win then yes I accept that there must be some somewhere in Singapore but in no way can it be compared to Thailand in the same breath............surely !!!

Never said it was. However you were under the impression it never happens in Singapore and I with 48 times more experience than you living there said it does and provided well known examples to back this up based on first hand experience that you dont have yet having just arrived.

Kananga "Never said it was. However you were under the impression it never happens in Singapore and I with 48 times more experience than you living there said it does and provided well known examples to back this up based on first hand experience that you dont have yet having just arrived."

Well Im glad we are starting to come to some sort of agreement in some way.

I am simply stating that in 2 months I have never experienced double pricing, I can only report my experience within that time. I believe I mainly used the word rare, which means I accept it can/does happen sometimes based on what colleagues have told me.

As I accept and concede to your greatness over me of "48 times more experience" (lol). I think it will be generally accepted by any rational person that 2 months (while yes being short) would be enough time to come across this problem at least once if it were big enough within the community. As I mentioned before I would only have to be back in Pattaya for a few days or even hours to come across double pricing, let alone 2 months. You may have more personal experience than me but as I mentioned and rather worryingly keep having to mention, I know of some westerners who have lived here for years and they say the practice is rare and doesnt happen enough for it to be a national or cultural problem for them. Now I cant see why they would lie as they dont have any interest in this topic or in this small side issue within Thai Visa forum. I also cant see how they could of missed double pricing in their day to day lives for all these years as they are all either married to or together with Singaporeans and doing everyday things like eating, using services, travelling etc etc.

Since our little side issue I have also quizzed one Chinese guy here who speaks perfect English, while he accepts that yes some taxi drivers do the long route and yes some food vendors will charge locals lower rates he doesnt think its much more than quite isolated and a small issue. Now I am really really hoping for you that you dont now come on here and now say that you have more experience of Singapore than a Chinese speaking Malaysian that has been living and working here, with westerners incidentally, on and off for 10 years !!

As I said I am sure there are cases of double pricing but as I think/hope you accepted it is not comparable with Thailand.

Edited by rinteln

Retail is the normal price, are you a shop owner/trader? are you buying in bulk? is there any specific reason you would expect a discount from the published retail price?

If you can get a price less than retail for no legitimate reason then good for you - just ask, you may be surprised.

Grab your pick up truck and a ladder, come out to my place in Huay Yai and harvest your own coconuts, i will sell to you at 5 baht each, same price as the Thai traders pay me - i make no distinction between Thai, Foreigner, Race, Creed or Colour, then you can go and sell them to whoever you want for whatever price that makes you happy.

post-62606-0-71432300-1345251919.gif post-62606-0-71432300-1345251919.gif post-62606-0-71432300-1345251919.gif post-62606-0-71432300-1345251919.gif

I can sell you bananas too on the same basis.!

Edited by LennyW

Grab your pick up truck and a ladder, come out to my place in Huay Yai and harvest your own coconuts, i will sell to you at 5 baht each, same price as the Thai traders pay me - i make no distinction between Thai, Foreigner, Race, Creed or Colour, then you can go and sell them to whoever you want for whatever price that makes you happy.

post-62606-0-71432300-1345251919.gif post-62606-0-71432300-1345251919.gif post-62606-0-71432300-1345251919.gif post-62606-0-71432300-1345251919.gif

Ok, i'll take you up on 5 baht a coconut, where about's on Huay Yai?

Not so keen on banana's though, what other fruit you got?

If the rain keeps up give me about a week to 10 days for the next round of coconuts, about 2 weeks and i will have sweetcorn by the barrowload too.

A bit off topic, but if you consider the bulk and weight of coconuts, 20 baht for a chilled coconut on the street is a pretty good deal.

I buy coconuts (retail) all year around as I drink the water at the gym as a natural electrolyte replacement. Earlier in the year they were as low as 12 baht in Big C. Now they're up to the low 20's or high 10's. I've seen them as high as 35 baht in the stores in the past. When does the price peak?

Edited by tropo

Kananga "Never said it was. However you were under the impression it never happens in Singapore and I with 48 times more experience than you living there said it does and provided well known examples to back this up based on first hand experience that you dont have yet having just arrived."

I am simply stating that in 2 months I have never experienced double pricing, I can only report my experience within that time. I believe I mainly used the word rare, which means I accept it can/does happen sometimes based on what colleagues have told me.

As I accept and concede to your greatness over me of "48 times more experience" (lol). I think it will be generally accepted by any rational person that 2 months (while yes being short) would be enough time to come across this problem at least once if it were big enough within the community. As I mentioned before I would only have to be back in Pattaya for a few days or even hours to come across double pricing, let alone 2 months. You may have more personal experience than me but as I mentioned and rather worryingly keep having to mention, I know of some westerners who have lived here for years and they say the practice is rare and doesnt happen enough for it to be a national or cultural problem for them. Now I cant see why they would lie as they dont have any interest in this topic or in this small side issue within Thai Visa forum. I also cant see how they could of missed double pricing in their day to day lives for all these years as they are all either married to or together with Singaporeans and doing everyday things like eating, using services, travelling etc etc.

Since our little side issue I have also quizzed one Chinese guy here who speaks perfect English, while he accepts that yes some taxi drivers do the long route and yes some food vendors will charge locals lower rates he doesnt think its much more than quite isolated and a small issue. Now I am really really hoping for you that you dont now come on here and now say that you have more experience of Singapore than a Chinese speaking Malaysian that has been living and working here, with westerners incidentally, on and off for 10 years !!

As I said I am sure there are cases of double pricing but as I think/hope you accepted it is not comparable with Thailand.

Never said it was comparable to Thailand, just that it happens after you were initially under the impression it didnt. I've told you it did after living there far far longer than you and cited examples where it happens frequently (Newton Circus, Lucky Plaza, Sim Lim) and this Malaysian Chinese person who has lived there on and off for ten years has reinforced what I said too. That it does happen. So if I were you I would accept that we (with nearly 20 years combined experience of living there compared with your two months) are right, you are wrong in assuming it doesnt ever happen and to keep your eyes open in future as I only had your best interests at heart.

Dont also forget that as you are under the impression it doesnt happen, so it may have already happened to you but you were blissfully unaware as you have an overconfident mindset that you are not getting ripped off. Not only is your guard is down but you come across strongly as someone who wont admit it when they are wrong and thats only going to serve you badly in the long run.

Edited by Kananga

If the rain keeps up give me about a week to 10 days for the next round of coconuts, about 2 weeks and i will have sweetcorn by the barrowload too.

Ok, noted.

A bit off topic, but if you consider the bulk and weight of coconuts, 20 baht for a chilled coconut on the street is a pretty good deal.

I buy coconuts (retail) all year around as I drink the water at the gym as a natural electrolyte replacement. Earlier in the year they were as low as 12 baht in Big C. Now they're up to the low 20's or high 10's. I've seen them as high as 35 baht in the stores in the past. When does the price peak?

Always been 5 baht as far as i can remember, if there is not much rain then they can be scarce, but the year before last people could not give them away and many were just left to rot, then the floods came and the street vendors upped the price but the price from the farm remained the same even though they were scarce and transport was limited - no idea the logic behind that??

It's a bit like the mangoes, i have a small farm up in Sam Chuk near Suphan Buri, we sell green mangoes off the farm at 9 Baht a kilo (PYO), and the yellow ones at 19 Baht a kilo, they sell for 4 or 5 times that on the high street in Pattaya.

But it is like anything..... a packet of lettuce seeds cost 20 baht - but a single lettuce in the shop will cost 20 baht, it is not racisim, it is not dual pricing, it is not farang tax, it is just commercial enterprise / standard practise.

Unfortunately some people think the world revolves around them and think they are a benchmark for all that should happen - sorry to dissapoint! :(

In any and all market economies, supply and demand will dictate prices but even when other economic systems operate things are worth only what people will pay for them. A street vendor can be last in a long chain of middle men and transporters and depending at which point you can buy, prices will vary. There are laws about price tagging things in Thailand but haggling is so ingrained that this is not always the practice and prices can change. However, many markets often have prices for produce and that's what most of us would pay for the displayed items. But as has been stated in the context of commercial attractions, if you don't like the price, then don't buy.

• Like 1

Never said it was comparable to Thailand, just that it happens after you were initially under the impression it didnt. I've told you it did after living there far far longer than you and cited examples where it happens frequently (Newton Circus, Lucky Plaza, Sim Lim) and this Malaysian Chinese person who has lived there on and off for ten years has reinforced what I said too. That it does happen. So if I were you I would accept that we (with nearly 20 years combined experience of living there compared with your two months) are right, you are wrong in assuming it doesnt ever happen and to keep your eyes open in future as I only had your best interests at heart.

Dont also forget that as you are under the impression it doesnt happen, so it may have already happened to you but you were blissfully unaware as you have an overconfident mindset that you are not getting ripped off. Not only is your guard is down but you come across strongly as someone who wont admit it when they are wrong and thats only going to serve you badly in the long run.

"Best interests at heart".............lol. Nice try. I dont think when coming into the thread and reading my comments that your intentions when replying were to help me, more to start a fight.

Thanks for your concern and advise on what I should do but I should be ok, thanks all the same.

I have reapeated my comments and points so many times now. If you dont get it by now then you never will and I cant put them any simpler for you.

Oh and yes, sorry I forgot to satisfy your ego as you seem to keep on going until I reply with something like the following line.................... Yes you are completly correct, I am completly wrong, i bow to your greatness and unchallengeable knowledge in regards to Singapore.

Cool, hopefully we are done here.

Edited by rinteln