If My Partner Has Died How Do I Sell Her Car?

tonybuak

As others have posted, its extremely easy to register vehicles in ones' own name.

If you are married and your spouse dies, you need to get a Court Inheritance Order (or something of the sort) to establish ownership of everything. Or at least that was my experience when my husband died.

True, but it`s gone passed that in the OPs case, so that advice is of no use to him.

I am very interested in the Court Inheritance Order to establish ownership of everything, which you mention, as I’ve never heard of this before.

Please could you tell us the procedure and how this is done? Maybe extremely helpful and useful for anyone after the death of a spouse.

I had to employ a court solicitor (as my husband was living with a g/f at the time, who was not keen to give up anything).

My solicitor went to Court to obtain the 'Inheritance Order' (or something like that), that the land office/vehicle dept. etc. would accept. I had to attend Court too in case the Judges had any problem with the application.

From memory, the Application was given to the Court and approx a month later (to allow time for others to object) - we ended up in Court for the final documentation to be approved.

Edit - Its not 'Inheritance Order', but as it was a couple of years ago and all the documents are in Thai, I've forgotten the term used.

Edited by F1fanatic

As others have posted, its extremely easy to register vehicles in ones' own name.

If you are married and your spouse dies, you need to get a Court Inheritance Order (or something of the sort) to establish ownership of everything. Or at least that was my experience when my husband died.

True, but it`s gone passed that in the OPs case, so that advice is of no use to him.

I am very interested in the Court Inheritance Order to establish ownership of everything, which you mention, as I’ve never heard of this before.

Please could you tell us the procedure and how this is done? Maybe extremely helpful and useful for anyone after the death of a spouse.

I had to employ a court solicitor (as my husband was living with a g/f at the time, who was not keen to give up anything).

My solicitor went to Court to obtain the 'Inheritance Order' (or something like that), that the land office/vehicle dept. etc. would accept. I had to attend Court too in case the Judges had any problem with the application.

From memory, the Application was given to the Court and approx a month later (to allow time for others to object) - we ended up in Court for the final documentation to be approved.

Edit - Its not 'Inheritance Order', but as it was a couple of years ago and all the documents are in Thai, I've forgotten the term used.

That’s marvellous. You should be, F1Fantastic, because anything like that could give us down trodden farangs an ace up the sleeve when it comes stopping those who would rob us blind from sneaking in through the back door.

I will certainly research this further and thanks for this tip off.

That’s marvellous. You should be, F1Fantastic, because anything like that could give us down trodden farangs an ace up the sleeve when it comes stopping those who would rob us blind from sneaking in through the back door.

Not really - my advice only REALLY benefits wives that have been left by their husband for a new g/f.

Otherwise its just general advice as to how inheritance law works - in my experience.

The following may be of some use to you.

http://www.thailandlawonline.com/Laws/inheritance-laws-civil-code-on-succession-and-inheritance.html