Yingluck Seen As Weak, Lacking Leadership

webfact

I think this is a question more suited for you. Please give a list of the accomplishments that she (read "Thaksin"), has accomplished since taking the helm over a year ago. And I'm serious... please list what campaign promises have been fulfilled and what then above and beyond that (if any) have been accomplished. Because for my observations, as well as plenty of others living here, I haven't seen much of anything to make life better here. In fact, it's been the worst year of the past 8 years living here... and 8 years ago the world economy was thriving so don't try crediting that to Mr. T... he had very little, if anything, to do with the healthy economic boom of the early 2000's in Thailand.

For a guy (read "Thaksin"), who claims to know how to solve all the problems of Thailand, as far as anyone can tell things are still pretty much in the gutter. So much for your angel from heaven here to save the poor and shower the "good life" on all who reside here. When I asked a Thai friend of mine what happened to Thaksin's promise stating that he would eradicate poverty and that there will be "no more poor in 6 months!" he said, "Yeah... there will be no more poor. They'll all be dead!" HAh! Even his dedicated faithful are starting to see through his "Emperor's New Clothes" crock o' crap!

why is it a question more suited for me???

i'm neither singing her praises nor am i criticising everything she does, that's why i asked the question.

I haven't seen much of anything to make life better here. In fact, it's been the worst year of the past 8 years living here

and do you blame that on the policies of the yingluck government, what negative impact has the ptp policies had on your personal life? please answer me that.

because if you're blaming this worst year (of your life here) not on the changes made to the country by yingluck's government, then what are you basing it on? the general political turmoil?

are you blaming all that on yingluck's government?

So much for your angel from heaven here to save the poor and shower the "good life" on all who reside here.

see this is what i mean... it's the same old rubbish that i hear from numerous posters here... if you're not a staunch anti-ptp/yingluck/thaksin/red shirt hater then that must mean you worship them like gods.

it's just ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous... i mean how can i have a reasonable debate with people who've already made their minds up in that fashion.

it's either - or, with ye

and it's just tiresome.

It's difficult being objective in a subject that's totally based on opinion. That being said, I wish there were some positive things that I could say about Yingluck as a Prime Minister but I find it difficult to indicate any. I'm not sure if my bias against her is too strong for me to see any good in her or there really just isn't any?

Would you call dodging debates and playing the "i don't know" card a positive trait of hers? If yes, please explain how so that we can see from your perspective.

Out of her populist policies, which ones were successful? Rich pledge? Minimum Wage? Tablets? Again, please indicate which.

Is she improving the lives of the people? If so, how?

These are just some of the questions and notice I tried to refrain from projecting any negativity. I'd just like to be enlightened on some of the positive things about her that I have missed.

There were many negative remarks but as you've said that they were biased strongly against her. So what other remarks might you accept as being unbiased?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's difficult being objective in a subject that's totally based on opinion. That being said, I wish there were some positive things that I could say about Yingluck as a Prime Minister but I find it difficult to indicate any. I'm not sure if my bias against her is too strong for me to see any good in her or there really just isn't any?

Would you call dodging debates and playing the "i don't know" card a positive trait of hers? If yes, please explain how so that we can see from your perspective.

Out of her populist policies, which ones were successful? Rich pledge? Minimum Wage? Tablets? Again, please indicate which.

These are just some of the questions and notice I tried to refrain from projecting any negativity. I'd just like to be enlightened on some of the positive things about her that I have missed.

There were many negative remarks but as you've said that they were biased strongly against her. So what other remarks might you accept as being unbiased?

"Would you call dodging debates and playing the "i don't know" card a positive trait of hers?"

definitely not.... as i said, just because im not a staunch anti-ptp/yingluck/thaksin/red shirt hater doesn't mean that i am not critical about any of their/her actions.

"Out of her populist policies, which ones were successful? Rice pledge? Minimum Wage? Tablets?"

i can't say whether they were successful or not, as it's early days for all of them.

i'm very wary about the rice scheme atm.

i think the tablets could be a great investment for the future, but who knows, not i, not you... but it's definitely part of the future of education.

minimum wage could prove a good move, it could prove a bad move, these are all still debatable atm, and outside economic factors will be an obvious factor in this.

"So what other remarks might you accept as being unbiased?"

first off, clarify what remarks in particular that i suggested were biased, i suggested that a lot of critcisms in general from posters on here come from a biased angle, is that something you think i'm making up, do you think that's all in my head?

Edited by nurofiend

my point is that there are legitimate grievances to have with yingluck, but i think people push it ott with their expectations for results from a pm that's been in office a year.

A day is a long time in politics........................but a year is too short to expect results?

"Would you call dodging debates and playing the "i don't know" card a positive trait of hers?"

definitely not.... as i said, just because im not a staunch anti-ptp/yingluck/thaksin/red shirt hater doesn't mean that i am not critical about any of their/her actions.

"Out of her populist policies, which ones were successful? Rice pledge? Minimum Wage? Tablets?"

i can't say whether they were successful or not, as it's early days for all of them.

i think the tablets could be a great investment for the future, but who knows, not i, not you... but it's definitely part of the future of education.

minimum wage could prove a good move, it could prove a bad move, these are all still debatable atm, and outside economic factors will be an obvious factor in this.

first off, clarify what remarks in particular that i suggested were biased, i suggested that a lot of critcisms in general from posters on here come from a biased angle, is that something you think i'm making up, do you think that's all in my head?

"definitely not.... as i said, just because im not a staunch anti-ptp/yingluck/thaksin/red shirt hater doesn't mean that i am not critical about any of their/her actions."

Ok, so the dodging does need to be criticized, regardless of bias.

can't say whether they were successful or not, as it's early days for all of them.

Fair enough, but people do have reasons for the doubt; such as the foretelling of the rice pledging scheme to fail which is seemingly headed that way. It doesn't necessarily mean that all the other policies will fail, but you can't really help people from judging things presently.

Let me clarify by explaining that it wasn't direct toward any particular remark. It would seem that any remark might be considered bias against her if it's of negative opinion and that it's difficult to find any positive ones from other people's point of view.

It's probably safe to say that if Yingluck shows improvement and continues to work in the interest of the Nation, she can definitely score positive points from those sitting on the fence and even her opponents. All she has to do is stay away from controversial issues, and by staying away I don't mean literally.

<snip>

<snip>

The rice scheme isn't successful. All it has done is lift the price of Thai rice. Exports are down. It's more expensive for the locals. And the farmers are getting a small amount of the money that they should be getting.

Tablets might be a great investment for the future, but as a policy it is clearly a failure. The original promise was a tablet for every child. That was quickly whittled down to a tablet for every grade 1 child after the election. They also said "by the start of the first term". It's 3-4 months past that, and they still haven't delivered all the tablets. Less than a 1/4 have been delivered, and the rest need to be delivered in a bit over a week. Not going to happen.

The original promise for the minimum wage was 300 baht per day nationwide by 1st January 2012. Then they back tracked. Failed policy.

my point is that there are legitimate grievances to have with yingluck, but i think people push it ott with their expectations for results from a pm that's been in office a year.

A day is a long time in politics........................but a year is too short to expect results?

it's too short to expect final results, yes.

what achievemant that resulted in a notable positive change for the thai people did abhisit finish to completion within 12 months?

oh and did he manage to reduce hiv by 50% in his time in office?

see, i wouldn't expect that of him, but then again i'm a reasonable person.

"definitely not.... as i said, just because im not a staunch anti-ptp/yingluck/thaksin/red shirt hater doesn't mean that i am not critical about any of their/her actions."

Ok, so the dodging does need to be criticized, regardless of bias.

can't say whether they were successful or not, as it's early days for all of them.

Fair enough, but people do have reasons for the doubt; such as the foretelling of the rice pledging scheme to fail which is seemingly headed that way. It doesn't necessarily mean that all the other policies will fail, but you can't really help people from judging things presently.

Let me clarify by explaining that it wasn't direct toward any particular remark. It would seem that any remark might be considered bias against her if it's of negative opinion and that it's difficult to find any positive ones from other people's point of view.

It's probably safe to say that if Yingluck shows improvement and continues to work in the interest of the Nation, she can definitely score positive points from those sitting on the fence and even her opponents. All she has to do is stay away from controversial issues, and by staying away I don't mean literally.

"Ok, so the dodging does need to be criticized, regardless of bias"

yes, i think it does.

"It would seem that any remark might be considered bias against her if it's of negative opinion"

well that's not how i form my views on whether people are coming from a biased angle or not.

<snip>

<snip>

The rice scheme isn't successful. All it has done is lift the price of Thai rice. Exports are down. It's more expensive for the locals. And the farmers are getting a small amount of the money that they should be getting.

Tablets might be a great investment for the future, but as a policy it is clearly a failure. The original promise was a tablet for every child. That was quickly whittled down to a tablet for every grade 1 child after the election. They also said "by the start of the first term". It's 3-4 months past that, and they still haven't delivered all the tablets. Less than a 1/4 have been delivered, and the rest need to be delivered in a bit over a week. Not going to happen.

The original promise for the minimum wage was 300 baht per day nationwide by 1st January 2012. Then they back tracked. Failed policy.

it's not a failed policy because it wasn't completed in time, you can't judge it's failure of whether it's a good policy based on that.

"Tablets might be a great investment for the future, but as a policy it is clearly a failure"

again, you're basing it all on ridiculous thai timelines... you can't say it's a failed idea just because it hasn't been completed yet.

what achievemant that resulted in a notable positive change for the thai people did abhisit finish to completion within 12 months?

Free education for children under 15.

what about the reduction of hiv by 50%?

do you see the point i'm getting at here?

No he didn't reduce HIV by 50% - but he didn't try to do it by mass killings either.

Try to avoid the "what about the democrats" button.

No he didn't reduce HIV by 50% - but he didn't try to do it by mass killings either.

Try to avoid the "what about the democrats" button.

why should i avoid asking about the comparisions of what abhisit did? when you ask a question like

"A day is a long time in politics........................but a year is too short to expect results?"

<snip>

<snip>

it's not a failed policy because it wasn't completed in time, you can't judge it's failure of whether it's a good policy based on that.

"Tablets might be a great investment for the future, but as a policy it is clearly a failure"

again, you're basing it all on ridiculous thai timelines... you can't say it's a failed idea just because it hasn't been completed yet.

I didn't say it was a failed idea. I said it was a failed policy. It's the PTP's ridiculous time frames. It's pointless coming up with ideas if they don't get implemented.

So everything is OK with the PTP's policies, because the Democrats policies weren't all implemented? And we can't criticise the PTP because the Democrats didn't do everything?

Is that your point?

<snip>

<snip>

I didn't say it was a failed idea. I said it was a failed policy. It's the PTP's ridiculous time frames. It's pointless coming up with ideas if they don't get implemented.

that's my point, you know as well as i do that these ridiculous time frames come from both sides.

it's a thai trait to say this problem will be solved by such and such a time.

it doesn't therefore mean that they will never be implemented just because they pass their deadline.

So everything is OK with the PTP's policies, because the Democrats policies weren't all implemented? And we can't criticise the PTP because the Democrats didn't do everything?

Is that your point?

mate, if that's the conclusion that you've drawn from my post, as an intelligent human being, then ok, because i haven't the energy to carry on in this type of back and forth nonsense.

Edited by nurofiend

that's my point, you know as well as i do that these ridiculous time frames come from both sides.

it doesn't therefore mean that they will never be implemented just because they pass their deadline.

OK. The rice pledging scheme is a failed policy, because it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing. The 300 baht per day minimum wage policy is a failed policy, because it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing.

The tablet policy is just a delayed policy. We're yet to see if it will be successfully implemented or not.

OK. The rice pledging scheme is a failed policy, because it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing. The 300 baht per day minimum wage policy is a failed policy, because it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing.

The tablet policy is just a delayed policy. We're yet to see if it will be successfully implemented or not.

And Yingluck Shinawatra just posted 15 new pictures on facebook ... giggle.gif

2vwbn0x.png

• Like 1

What's with all the 'she's beautiful' comments? I mean in general. Is this really her saving Grace?

I like a good looking woman as much as the next man. Judge her on what she does and what she says.

So far in my humble opinion - she's been useless.

could you answer me this, what do you know that she has done since being in office?

please just you answer this, do you know anything that she has done?

i just want to see if you're speaking out of biased ignorance or do you actually know what you're talking about.

I think this is a question more suited for you. Please give a list of the accomplishments that she (read "Thaksin"), has accomplished since taking the helm over a year ago. And I'm serious... please list what campaign promises have been fulfilled and what then above and beyond that (if any) have been accomplished. Because for my observations, as well as plenty of others living here, I haven't seen much of anything to make life better here. In fact, it's been the worst year of the past 8 years living here... and 8 years ago the world economy was thriving so don't try crediting that to Mr. T... he had very little, if anything, to do with the healthy economic boom of the early 2000's in Thailand.

For a guy (read "Thaksin"), who claims to know how to solve all the problems of Thailand, as far as anyone can tell things are still pretty much in the gutter. So much for your angel from heaven here to save the poor and shower the "good life" on all who reside here. When I asked a Thai friend of mine what happened to Thaksin's promise stating that he would eradicate poverty and that there will be "no more poor in 6 months!" he said, "Yeah... there will be no more poor. They'll all be dead!" HAh! Even his dedicated faithful are starting to see through his "Emperor's New Clothes" crock o' crap!

1. Lowering Company tax.

Show us one of your posts critical to PM Yingluck. Thanks.
  • Like 1

Only been in a year is no excuse. The reason she is so inept is because she took a job she was not capable of fulfilling. If she had some political experience it could have been a different story.

no... you see that is the thing, it is an excuse when people are bitching about what she has done so far.

because it's coming from a biased perspective, and that doesn't mean i disagree with everyone's criticism that they have of her, i agree with some of them... i just think it's because it's coming from this biased perspective, that people are putting forward criticisms that they wouldn't be so harsh about if it was someone that they were in support of.

so it's not solely based on a neutral view of what she has or hasn't accomplished, a lot of it's coming from a pre-negative disposition about her.

that's my issue with posters on here.

You are absolutely rite It is your issue and has nothing to do with Yingluck's ability to fulfill her job as Prime Minister of Thailand.

I personally don't think it will help at all properly used tablets can be a great tool but using them to replace learning can not help. I f they had been introduced in the third grade after the students learned to add 2+2= 4 in their head and how to read in other words use their brains to think with rather than I wonder where I can find out what the capital of Thailand is on my computer.

Well that is an easy one Mick

Give me a list of all the woes that confounded Thailand at the point Yinguck and PTP came into office

Then tell me which of these items you personally feel could be eradicated in one year

Then, list the items where PTP acknowledge there is an issue to be addressed....a starting point if you like

Let me start,

Centuries of entrenched corruption, not fixed by the previous government in 2 years, or any government previously

Outdated education system, not fixed by the previous government in 2 years

Railway inrfastructure, outdated system, not fixed by the previous government in 2 years

Information highway, largely enhanced by the private sector, little or no input from the previous government in 2 years

Wage structure, not adequately addressed by the previous government in 2 years

Flood defences, little or nothing done by the previous government in 2 years

Just a start Mick you are welcome to add to the list of woes

But the difference is many people did not expect great improvement in the above areas from the Democrats in a short time because they are huge challenges

They were therefore not disappointed

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

Give me a list of all the woes that confounded Thailand at the point Yinguck and PTP came into office

Then tell me which of these items you personally feel could be eradicated in one year

Then, list the items where PTP acknowledge there is an issue to be addressed....a starting point if you like

Let me start,

Centuries of entrenched corruption, not fixed by the previous government in 2 years, or any government previously

Railway inrfastructure, outdated system, not fixed by the previous government in 2 years

Information highway, largely enhanced by the private sector, little or no input from the previous government in 2 years

But the difference is many people did not expect great improvement in the above areas from the Democrats in a short time because they are huge challenges

It's not about all the long term issues that the PTP didn't fix. It's about what they said they were going to do ... and haven't.

Let me start,

It's not about all the long term issues that the PTP didn't fix. It's about what they said they were going to do ... and haven't.

right, so name a single promise that is not being addressed already. No one ever comes back on that because they just want to whine about how bad this government is.

Your discussion crutch is "it's not finished yet".

It's impossible to have a discussion about what might have been done better when people refuse to admit that something has actually been done.

• Like 2

Let me start,

right, so name a single promise that is not being addressed already. No one ever comes back on that because they just want to whine about how bad this government is.

It's impossible to have a discussion about what might have been done better when people refuse to admit that something has actually been done.

Are you satisfied with the performance of this government?

Everybody knows that politicians will promise whatever it takes to win power, it's just a matter of how much of a liberty the politician thinks he or she can get away with. It's a balancing act. The politician is happy to lie about what they are going to be able to do, but they don't want to lie more than they need to, because that could come back to haunt them.

Thaksin has a history of taking the biggest gamble of all, in his parties election campaigns - take for example his promise to rid Bangkok of traffic in six months - and it has seemed to pay off. He manages to grab all the headlines and capture people's imagination. By the time it comes around to the time when his promise should have been fulfilled, he is diverting the public's attention away with a new even wilder promise. The last election was no different. Whereas the Dems campaign promises were generally quite conservative (take the minimum wage proposal which promised gradual increases), the PTP went for pie in the sky type crap that didn't have a low chance of implementation in the way it was promised, it had zero chance of implementation.

But whether a promise is pie in the sky, or the promise is realistic, the politicians win power to a large degree because of what the public thinks it will get from them, is it not therefore fair for the public to "whine" when they fail to do what they promised and put pressure on them to deliver? All very well for the party faithful followers with their bars set down low, to say "stop whining, pipe down, yes they lied, but let's not dwell on that, let's give them more time, it's the least they deserve", but others might demand a little more, and in my opinion, well within their rights to.

Granted some of the projects have been started in a half arse way or in some cases a corrupt way. They all seem headed in the same direction, due to virtually no pre planning (count the number of changes), no input from the sectors involved, etc.

Most of the promises are been handled on a credit card system and those with money being poured into them (flood/water control, rice pledging) are acknowledged as being corrupt, substandard, with little accounting. This discription does seem to follow this government like stench from a cesspool.

Many positions are filled by corrupt, outdated has beens who are along for a last harrah, then you have the inexperienced leader, trying to get out of the way of those who want seed money, times a huge multiplier back, so as to enter the ranks of the wealthly.

I am sure the 1 year progress report will mirroe the statement that" we have started our promised projects, be patient and give us a chance." The rub will come when they are asked to show what has been accomplished. This could be answered, 'we have quite burning down the cities.'