Jalapeños

i haven't seen them in villa for months. anada farms used to have them but seem to have stopped.

i gave up waiting and planted some seeds about a week ago, they are shooting up. doesn't help you much now but in a few months i'll have some. if i have too many, i can share them.

i grew them before and they do really well here, don't know why they haven't caught on in thailand.

• Like 1

The raw jalapeño season is basically finished.

I can send some pickled sliced jalapeños in 1 kg bags to you. Let me know your address and I will try to get a bag to you from Chiang Rai by postal service.

Missing my friends in Phuket.

Don Battles

081 894 6401

Hi Don. That is very nice of you. I wonder if having them pickled would change the taste of the chutney? I am not a cook, but am wondering. But I take your kind offer. Will send pm. Please reply with banking details. More than happy to pay for them.

PS. Yes, and miss your restaurant dearly. Horrible shophouses there now.

If you ever find the fresh ones, they are great fried in a shallow pan with a little oil, salt and fresh ground black pepper. Yummy with a few cold beers.

Edited by Shot

If I get a hold of some seeds, that is what I will do.

Yesterday I missed the EMS delivery from Don. I am hoping I do not have to wait until Tuesday. Will call them on Monday and see if they are open.

look on ebay, 1 pack of seeds is about $1.50 and postage about the same.

those prices are really high. you can get a pack of pepper or tom seeds for about $1.50 and pay combined postage of about $2 from many places on ebay.

also, i think the trick to growing peppers and toms here is the soil. i use a mix of 50/50 potting soil from the garden shop and top soil from my garden. the better potting soil looks more like soil and less like composted coconut and the top soil you use should be as dark as possible.

i used to use 100% potting soil but that's expensive and i found mixing in real soil is better for the plants.

it would be cool to have a gardening sticky thread like the samui/phangan forum has. is that possible mods?

Edited by stevehaigh

those prices are really high. you can get a pack of pepper or tom seeds for about $1.50 and pay combined postage of about $2 from many places on ebay.

also, i think the trick to growing peppers and toms here is the soil. i use a mix of 50/50 potting soil from the garden shop and top soil from my garden. the better potting soil looks more like soil and less like composted coconut and the top soil you use should be as dark as possible.

i used to use 100% potting soil but that's expensive and i found mixing in real soil is better for the plants.

it would be cool to have a gardening sticky thread like the samui/phangan forum has. is that possible mods?

Maybe under hobbies, if not under Phuket forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve. Will check it out.

One of the plants has died. No idea why. Both get water in the morning or evening, both are not in the sun, but bright light shade (not like you had them, under the green canopy).

At a loss as to why. Any ideas?

maybe too much water, let dry a bit before watering, once a day should be fine. you need to plant lots of plants as some will not make it.

buy some jalapenos in villa and plant the seeds from them, i think they will grow ok. if they have sold out already, i've got a few left, you can have some of mine.

I just got back from a five week vaction in the US. I brought back way too much hot sauce... really hot sauce. My wife took a drop on her finger and tasted it... she couldn't believe how hot it was. I kept telling her that chillies aren't that hot. Now she believes me. :-)

I also brought several types of seeds. One that should be really interesting is called a Chocolate peppers because of their color. I got some Caribbean Red Habanero as well as some ghost peppers.

All of these blow chillies completely out of the water. If my crop turns out to be really big, I'd be happy to share.

I just got back from a five week vaction in the US. I brought back way too much hot sauce... really hot sauce. My wife took a drop on her finger and tasted it... she couldn't believe how hot it was. I kept telling her that chillies aren't that hot. Now she believes me. :-)

I also brought several types of seeds. One that should be really interesting is called a Chocolate peppers because of their color. I got some Caribbean Red Habanero as well as some ghost peppers.

All of these blow chillies completely out of the water. If my crop turns out to be really big, I'd be happy to share.

i ordered some habanero chilli seeds, i'm going to give those a go and try make my own hot sauce. its strange that in a country that likes everything phet phet, there's no good hot sauce

i ordered some habanero chilli seeds, i'm going to give those a go and try make my own hot sauce. its strange that in a country that likes everything phet phet, there's no good hot sauce

Hi Steve,

I had some Habanero chillies from Krabi recently. They were definitely a step up from the normal peppers available here, but still bearable. I am sure there are different strains of these that are hotter. Best of luck in your growing.

I make my own salsa fresca. I like like the flavor of jalepenos or serronos chili peppers better than Thai peppers for it, but I've gotten used to using Thai peppers. I still buy hot sauce when I'm in California though. My wife says I eat everything more phet than she does. Not sure about that. I wouldn't even try some of the things she eats!

I'm currently waiting for some Caribbean Reds to sprout. If I'm successful, I've got some Chocolate chillies (500,000 Scoville Units) and Ghost chillies (off the scale) to put in the ground.

The ghosts aren't off the scale, they're around 1.5 million I think. The Trinidad Moruga is 2,000,000.

The package actually says "Please keep away from eyes and bare skin", so I suppose burning your digestive tract out doesn't count.

tongue.png

I'm currently waiting for some Caribbean Reds to sprout. If I'm successful, I've got some Chocolate chillies (500,000 Scoville Units) and Ghost chillies (off the scale) to put in the ground.

The ghosts aren't off the scale, they're around 1.5 million I think. The Trinidad Moruga is 2,000,000.

The package actually says "Please keep away from eyes and bare skin", so I suppose burning your digestive tract out doesn't count.

tongue.png

A mere 500,000 units difference. I'm not sure if my palate could tell the difference. ermm.gif

Actually, thanks for letting me know about this one. I wasn't familiar with it. I just read about it at http://gizmodo.com/5885581/the-2-million-shu-trinidad-moruga-scorpion-pepper-is-the-worlds-hottest

My Caribbean Reds have started coming up through the soil... yippee.

I'm waiting for my Ghost peppers to come up now.