Bought First Android Phone. Now What?

bobbin

I bought a ZTE RacerII last week for Bt.1990. Spec for spec (aside from processor) same as a Samsung Galaxy Y, which sells for Bt.4700. Entry-level unit to allow me to discover a new technology.

Made the newbie mistake of failing to turn off data (default on) the first night and awoke to find I had wiped out about Bt.300 of pre-paid time. Ad-hoc internet rate of Bt.1 per minute!

So after a week of YouTube and internet tutorials, I'm more up to speed. Loaded the phone with Go SMS Pro, Go Contacts, Go Launcher EX and data-monitoring app. Installed FoxFii for wifi hotspot. Dolphin HD browser as well.

I bought a 1GB per 30 day data package.

Yesterday I went online (via wifi at home) and spent a few minutes using Dolphin. I like the voice search function... A somewhat underwhelming experience with that small 2.8 screen, but the famous IPhone is only a bit bigger so can't be that much better.

So I'm sitting here thinking "Is that all there is?"

I don't like either the stock Contacts or Go's version. How do I save an unknown number and give it a name (my latest new friend)? Neither one seem to do it as easily as my old feature (dumb) Samsung.

Oh yeah.. no easy GPS solution for Thailand. There goes a major geek feature I was looking forward to using. I do have a Garmin stand-alone but don't carry that around in my pocket or even use it much in Pattaya as I know where I'm going after 10 years here.

I don't think I'll be doing much internet on this phone, so whats left? My home setup is so much superior.

Maybe I should have stuck with the old phone and bought one of those Chinese tablets. I saw a 10 inch with 3G, wifi and IceCreamSandwich for Bt.6600 at Tesco yesterday. That would at least not be painful to use for the net.

Experienced non-business users please feel free to fill in the gaps for me!

Edited by bobbin

I bought a ZTE RacerII last week for Bt.1990. Spec for spec (aside from processor) same as a Samsung Galaxy Y, which sells for Bt.4700. Entry-level unit to allow me to discover a new technology.

Made the newbie mistake of failing to turn off data (default on) the first night and awoke to find I had wiped out about Bt.300 of pre-paid time. Ad-hoc internet rate of Bt.1 per minute!

So after a week of YouTube and internet tutorials, I'm more up to speed. Loaded the phone with Go SMS Pro, Go Contacts, Go Launcher EX and data-monitoring app. Installed FoxFii for wifi hotspot. Dolphin HD browser as well.

I bought a 1GB per 30 day data package.

Yesterday I went online (via wifi at home) and spent a few minutes using Dolphin. I like the voice search function... A somewhat underwhelming experience with that small 2.8 screen, but the famous IPhone is only a bit bigger so can't be that much better.

So I'm sitting here thinking "Is that all there is?"

I don't like either the stock Contacts or Go's version. How do I save an unknown number and give it a name (my latest new friend)? Neither one seem to do it as easily as my old feature (dumb) Samsung.

Oh yeah.. no easy GPS solution for Thailand. There goes a major geek feature I was looking forward to using. I do have a Garmin stand-alone but don't carry that around in my pocket or even use it much in Pattaya as I know where I'm going after 10 years here.

I don't think I'll be doing much internet on this phone, so whats left? My home setup is so much superior.

Maybe I should have stuck with the old phone and bought one of those Chinese tablets. I saw a 10 inch with 3G, wifi and IceCreamSandwich for Bt.6600 at Tesco yesterday. That would at least not be painful to use for the net.

Experienced non-business users please feel free to fill in the gaps for me!

Have a look round in this forum and the gps forum and you will find a navigation option. Also on that hardware poor phone stick with the standard google browser.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

It looks like h90 is stealing my spotlight, as he is attracting many more responses! biggrin.png

I have read all through the forums (here and GPS) and I think I know what my options (free and paid) are for Navigation. I will probably try out OSMand then Locus Pro.

There was one thread where lomatopo mildly chastised another poster, who said he only used home wifi for internet, saying net access was what it's all about. Well, so far I'm not impressed by the small-screen net experience. Better I'm sure on Samsung Note! I'm not a FB or Twitter user btw.

It's this Contact problem that's at the top of my list right now. Used to be, I'd get a phone number (usually exchanged with new friend) and have the easy option to save and name. Most recently I was reduced to writing the new unknown number on a piece of paper and then going into contacts (either one) and creating a new contact! Say it isn't so.... sad.png

I read today that 1Gb is good for 50,000 text only emails and 5000 web pages. Way more than I'll ever do, so maybe paying ad-hoc rate of Bt.1 per minute is better than paying for a plan I never consume.

Edited by bobbin

I've had a couple of Android phones and I've never got to grips with the Contacts thingy. Sticking a SIM in and copy contacts off that leads to multiple copies of the same contact which seem impossible to get rid off.

You want to put a new contact in via the touch screen. Ok

Click on contacts then click the left button or the + icon on screen. it should come up "new contact " click on that then fill in the details.

Edited by thaicbr

Click on contacts then click the left button or the + icon on screen. it should come up "new contact " click on that then fill in the details.

That's the procedure when I'm looking at an "unknown" number that's called me? As posted, I've already been able to create a new contact, just not from the call log (missed calls).

OK, now I've got to get someone not in my Contacts list to call me so I can try this out. smile.png

Edited by bobbin

I've had a couple of Android phones and I've never got to grips with the Contacts thingy. Sticking a SIM in and copy contacts off that leads to multiple copies of the same contact which seem impossible to get rid off.

There's a Display Options setting under Contacts where you can set to display Phone, SIM, and/or Google contracts. For example, I'm using an Android 2.3.6 based phone, press Contacts, press the menu button, press More, press Display Options, and then under Select Contacts to Display set the Phone, SIM, and/or Google contacts display settings as desired. This way contacts can stay on your SIM card if desired like maybe when you take the SIM out to put it into another phone and you want your contacts to show on that other phone. Deleting any contacts from the Phone, SIM or Google contacts should have been as easy as selecting any or all contacts for deletion...sure works for me on my Android based phone.

One thing I would definitely recommend to all folks is learn the "Settings" selections/submenus of your Android based phone....the Settings icon that looks like a gear. Too many people just play with Apps and never learn how to use the many features/capabilities of an Android based phone. Heck, there are a lot of Apps out there that do nothing more than streamline/shortcut Android basic settings which is fine....settings which can all be done by going into the Android "Settings" menu/submenus and usually with just 2 to 3 finger taps you have done the same thing as the App you might have paid for.

Yes sir, spending ime learing/cruising around in the Settings icon on your Android based phone can make use of the phone much easier and enjoyable.

That's the procedure when I'm looking at an "unknown" number that's called me? As posted, I've already been able to create a new contact, just not from the call log (missed calls).

OK, now I've got to get someone not in my Contacts list to call me so I can try this out. smile.png

From call list just long press on number then scroll down to "add to contacts "

Thanks to thaicbr, Pib and taotoo for your input. Especially thaicbr, as you were first to respond and hopefully have solved my problem with contacts. smile.png

Digitalbanana... it would be reasonable to think the call quality might be suspect, but subjectively, I think it's better than it's Samsung predecessor....tongue.png

The zte should be good quality wise...

One main advantage of android and the always on 3G connection is the communication options.

Emails (gmail) come in instantly, people used to buy blackberry's just for that!

I have skype on, so any skype user can call me for free anywhere I am (if 3G coverage of course), just had 20 minute call with a Canadian friend for exactly 0 Baht.

When I bought my first Android phone I did go for a bigger screen/higher resolution ( 320 x 480 3.2") so browsing experience etc was acceptable.

Actually bouht the phone to see Android would suit me (coming from windows mobile) , which it did...

Moved up to a bigger screen galaxy s plus now...

Super amoled high res screen is stunning for video and actually pleasant for browsing the web as well.

At 2000 baht you have a good deal, can now find out if it suits you, and then can move to bigger/better model if you like.

I actually think this is a major advantage over ios(apple). Can't buy a 2000 Baht new basic Iphone to see if you like the system :) :)

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

There's a good tool called Contact Remover that you use for condensing them all so that there is only one instance of each with all their info attached. Good way of tidying up the mess made when you connect with different services.

There's a good tool called Contact Remover that you use for condensing them all so that there is only one instance of each with all their info attached. Good way of tidying up the mess made when you connect with different services.

Sounds just like what I need. I have literally dozens of instances of some contacts where I've removed a SIM and put it back in again and the phone has decided that there's a new set of contacts it needs to copy into the contacts database yet again.