Local Radio In Phuket

jayleshark

oh look we are a hot topic now. Thats awesome. So back to the radio, anyone like these ideas?

Mowtown show

Swing and jazz show

Dance and house music show

The album show, (play a whole album from one band)

Chilled out Show

The top 40

Rock show

Disco show

World music show

Classical Show

Music form the movies show

Please feel free to like or dislike the ideas.

Peace and love to everyone...

I really think many of the above would work as off-peak shows. Add blues, reggae and soul as well. Didn't 91.5 have a top 40 show at one time?

Edited by madmitch
  • Like 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of any jobbing DJ wishing to be seen giving the public what they want, the only reasons for the existence of these radio stations is advertising income and one-upmanship over the competition. One media mogul gets into radio, so does the other one.....one gets into tocket selling, so does the other one........one gets into TV, so does the other one etc. What next?.....one goes bust, so does the other one? (more like one goes bust, the other throws a party).

Getting back on topic, waking up to some marching pipe bands in the mornings with old school acid skiffle in the evenings would certainly be welcome in this neck of the woods.

• Like 1

Regardless of any jobbing DJ wishing to be seen giving the public what they want, the only reasons for the existence of these radio stations is advertising income and one-upmanship over the competition. One media mogul gets into radio, so does the other one.....one gets into tocket selling, so does the other one........one gets into TV, so does the other one etc. What next?.....one goes bust, so does the other one? (more like one goes bust, the other throws a party).

Getting back on topic, waking up to some marching pipe bands in the mornings with old school acid skiffle in the evenings would certainly be welcome in this neck of the woods.

Wow Jobbing DJ, you must be a wrestling fan to use that term. Nice one Frank, and I do not overly disagree with what you are saying, however I am not looking to be seen to give the public what they want, rather asking what the public would like. I will defo play some marching bands for you this weekend, really will. Keep the ideas coming.

Edited by jayleshark

oh look we are a hot topic now. Thats awesome. So back to the radio, anyone like these ideas?

Mowtown show

Swing and jazz show

Dance and house music show

The album show, (play a whole album from one band)

Chilled out Show

The top 40

Rock show

Disco show

World music show

Classical Show

Music form the movies show

Please feel free to like or dislike the ideas.

Peace and love to everyone...

I really think many of the above would work as off-peak shows. Add blues, reggae and soul as well. Didn't 91.5 have a top 40 show at one time?

Yes they used to have the top 40.

• 3 months later...

Just my personal view. all three stations, 90.5, 91.5 and 89.5, have catered for different age groups with their music. At least we have choice. The bad news is that none of them really have decent local content although 89.5 certainly tries a lot harder than the others. I am sure it all comes down to money and we only get what the companies can afford. A few quick reviews. Sam and Natasha on 89.5 is the pick of the bunch although I am a bit sick of the sexual-tension-relationship-problems chit chat. The afternoon guys on 91.5 and 89.5 have awful accents and I can't understand a word they say. (maybe if i came from northern England or Scotland it would help). the breakfast guy on 91.5 sounds bored and doesn't want to be there. All the radio Thailand shows on 90.5 just don't fit in with the Blue Wave music. I am sure it is part of the license deal but it's neither one thing or the other. the spin news program on 89.5 on sundays just doesn't fit into the station but is the stand out radio program on the island with local content. all three stations seem to ignore night time programs but 91.5 at least makes an effort but it's a bit half-hearted. and the new girl Kirsty on 89.5, used to be on 91.5. she just grates on me. maybe cause I'm a girl too. She starts every sentence with 'how ya doin?'. Sure she's a nice girl but maybe she could come up with a few new clichés. BBC news just seems irrelevant to life on the island but understand a local news would be expensive. at least 89.5 are trying with some local news. Just add some world news 89.5 and you would be way in front of all the other stations. Finally it seems 89.5 have sorted out their signal. Is good over most of the island now. So that's the perspective of a new expat on the island. What do you think about the programs we have available?

To solve the inconsistant radio signals, I am using an internet radio. It works very well, absolutely has no reception problems. However, while listening to 89.5, I experienced sound volume issues. That is, the volume varies according to different segment during the program. I wonder whether the sound engineer has anything to do with it?

To solve the inconsistant radio signals, I am using an internet radio. It works very well, absolutely has no reception problems. However, while listening to 89.5, I experienced sound volume issues. That is, the volume varies according to different segment during the program. I wonder whether the sound engineer has anything to do with it?

+1

Argh. 90.5 is degenerating fast. Now I need to turn it to another channel as something has happened to the ears of the DJ's. Horrible music. The show seems to be On your way with Richard.

During the day they are playing Beatles and other horrible music which might have been great about 120 years ago, but not anymore. What next? 17 hour Baroque music marathons?

Edited by Guest

Couldn't tune in to 89.5 this morning.

Wonder why they're off air?

I managed to catch some parts of the Morning Show this morning but the sound quality was a pain to the ears! I have been experiencing this "volume" issue of 89.5 for quite sometime now. I am using an internet radio so nothing to do with poor reception.

Actually, the Jason guy who flaunts his Thai language skills is now getting on my nerves. Nothing irks me more than a falang speaking Thai to another falang. His listeners are mostly expats, so we do speak some Thai. No tourists listen to that station. They are not here long enough!!

I managed to catch some parts of the Morning Show this morning but the sound quality was a pain to the ears! I have been experiencing this "volume" issue of 89.5 for quite sometime now. I am using an internet radio so nothing to do with poor reception.

Surely the great benefit of internet radio is that you can choose to listen to a vast selection of professional radio stations from around the world rather than having to endure the amateurish efforts churned out here in Phuket?

• Like 1

Surely the great benefit of internet radio is that you can choose to listen to a vast selection of professional radio stations from around the world rather than having to endure the amateurish efforts churned out here in Phuket?

I fully agree with you the benefits of internet radio. Initially I used a normal alarm clock radio to catch some local news and weather forecast in the morning. But with the poor reception, I have to use an internet radio. Yes, I am also using this radio to listen to my favourite radio stations back home.

I personally think 89.5 is miles ahead of the other two. They have had some signal issues and totally agree it is irritating although it seems to be getting better and very stable now. I think the content on most shows is well prepared, relevant (local) and interesting. I also like their mix of music which appeals to my whole family (my choldren who are in their teens and my wife and I)

On a personal note, I have also dealt with them on a business level and I found them extremely professional and very friendly...something I can't really say for the other 2 who initially didn't even reply to my emails when I was inquiring about advertising with them i.e. giving them money which I found quite extrodinary to say the least. And when they did they were quite rude and rather arrogant

I personally think 89.5 is miles ahead of the other two. They have had some signal issues and totally agree it is irritating although it seems to be getting better and very stable now. I think the content on most shows is well prepared, relevant (local) and interesting. I also like their mix of music which appeals to my whole family (my choldren who are in their teens and my wife and I)

On a personal note, I have also dealt with them on a business level and I found them extremely professional and very friendly...something I can't really say for the other 2 who initially didn't even reply to my emails when I was inquiring about advertising with them i.e. giving them money which I found quite extrodinary to say the least. And when they did they were quite rude and rather arrogant

You would almost think this was written by the owner?

I would agree with ssinlos. Was trying to get an ad rate card from 91 (as well as other radio, print, internet outlets) and after a week or more, finally got a reply back from the ad manager that said "we don't give out rate cards anymore". All the other media outlets provided it. If you want to sell something, you would assume your customer needs to know the price?

• 2 weeks later...

I get the feeling that the radio wars are getting pretty ferocious between 89.5 and 91.5, like the way the Gazette was slagging off the Phuket News when it started. The news show on Sundays on 89.5 is an example of how they are spending money on some decent local content rather than just endless music. 91.5 sounds like they've lost the plot during the week although some of their weekend shows are very good. I think 90.5 has already given up the battle. When it comes to the websites 91.5 looks really pro while 89.5 looks like it was done by the local kindergarten. This is a good chat. Ken

With so many different nationalities and tastes its hard to please the limited amount of expats that reside in Thailand. In my opinion radio stations in Phuket will go of the way of the Dodo along with newsprint. People can listen through streaming or read exactly what they want on the internet in their own language.

For me if some of these Phuket/Thailand radio stations had a broadcast of news and whats going on around the place at say 8am-10am daily I might listen. I still think buying an upstairs bar full of katoys in Soi Sea Dragon will be around a lot longer and be more profitable than news print or a radio program. It would probably more informative and objective in the bar too.

Edited by IrishIvan

In my opinionradio stations in Phuket will go of the way of the Dodo along with newsprint. People can listen through streaming or read exactly what they want on the internet in their own language.

I must agree. I can listen to my iPod or 10,000 radio stations online if I want to get music. The only thing that might get me listening more is doing some sort of local programs that make us want to turn on. Playing an overseas news service and doing 30 seconds of Phuket weather isn't local radio. The main three stations are trying to be everything to everyone and failing. A trained monkey with a computer can play music. It's lazy programming. I expect decent management and production costs more than advertisers can afford in Phuket. She who must be obeyed listens to stations in the US and Europe online.

I get the feeling that the radio wars are getting pretty ferocious between 89.5 and 91.5, like the way the Gazette was slagging off the Phuket News when it started.

....and now they are sitting side by side as forum sponsors. Wasn't the 91.5 logo sitting there until recently?

It says 'Fabulous 103FM' at the top of my page, whoever they are. I hope that whoever sponsors the forums it doesn't influence the content. The best radio on the island is off now with the Sam and Natasha team away. Assume they went home or just having some time off. Please come back soon. They are just playing 80s music now presumably off a cheap laptop. Boring. Good to hear all the farang stations playing some christmas music too.

OMG. They have the 'how ya doin' girl on 89.5 morning show. She was kicked off 91.5 and re-surfaced again. With their dynamic duo away they would be better off with a trained monkey and an mp3 player. Me and she-who-must-be-obeyed have been driving around the island the last few days trying to avoid the influx of tourists and have to say 91.5 are kicking arse with the FM coverage and their programs over the holiday season. Even warming to Doris, amazing. I think there are now enough farang living here to deserve some professional radio at last. There must be enough companies to support at least one decent station. Yes?

Can you find the playlist or stream of 91.5FM? Not the swf player, but stream itself.

I could get the 89.5 and 90.5, but failed with 91.5FM.

Do you mean this http://www.phuketfmradio.com/ I am listening to it right now.

That one, but on top of that the direct url for the stream so that I can open the radio stream with my mobile phone or home stereos (also while out of Phuket that is :).

FM91.5 support promised to find it for me after the new year or so.

Me and she-who-must-be-obeyed.......

Who are you? Horace Rumpole?

Are you talking about the Australian actor?

No....the fictional British solicitor created by John Mortimer that was eventually played by the Australian born actor Leo McKern.

I read the books before I ever saw the TV series.