How To Find The 3 Largest Tambons/Thesabans Of Each Province

zeekgarcia

The info is on wikipedia but it would be extremely time consuming to get at it.

http://en.wikipedia....ces_of_Thailand

The page for each province has a list of amphoes, then you can go to the amphoe page and there will be a list of tambons with the population of each. Maybe there is an easier way to get this info, could be there is a list somewhere in Thai

The Department of Provincial Administration publishes the population statistics for the whole kingdom, down to Tambon level, every December.

You can find it here: http://stat.dopa.go.th/xstat/popyear.html

A few notes:

1. It is not sortable, so you will have to go through every province manually.

2. It is in Thai, so if you don't read Thai, it will mean a little more work. Google Translate returns some hilarious translations, but you can still work your way through it.

3. You may need to change the text encoding of your browser. If you get gibberish (¨Ñ§ËÇÑ´/ÍÓàÀÍ/µÓºÅ), select 'View' > 'Text Encoding' from your browser's menu and change it to Thai. (This will not mess with any other page.)

• Like 2

The info is on wikipedia but it would be extremely time consuming to get at it.

http://en.wikipedia....ces_of_Thailand

The page for each province has a list of amphoes, then you can go to the amphoe page and there will be a list of tambons with the population of each. Maybe there is an easier way to get this info, could be there is a list somewhere in Thai

The vast majority of the Thai populations provided on Wikipedia are out of date. I wouldn't use that yet.

There is a project to update all of the populations down to Tambon level, but it is a very time consuming task, and most of us involved have other priorities.

The Department of Provincial Administration publishes the population statistics for the whole kingdom, down to Tambon level, every December.

You can find it here: http://stat.dopa.go....at/popyear.html

A few notes:

1. It is not sortable, so you will have to go through every province manually.

2. It is in Thai, so if you don't read Thai, it will mean a little more work. Google Translate returns some hilarious translations, but you can still work your way through it.

3. You may need to change the text encoding of your browser. If you get gibberish (¨Ñ§ËÇÑ´/ÍÓàÀÍ/µÓºÅ), select 'View' > 'Text Encoding' from your browser's menu and change it to Thai. (This will not mess with any other page.)

I thought I would help out a bit with this. Anyone who wants to take these figures and update Wikipedia please do.

Saved at this link are the figures for 2011 from the above site transferred into an Excel spreadheet. So this list of province populations is now sortable. I wanted to upload the xls here but it is not permitted to upload that file type, so you will have to get it from this link. https://dl.dropbox.c... 2011 2554.xlsx

Here is the pdf version. Thai Provinces Population Statistics 2011 2554.pdf

I have translated the Province names to English and included them as a new column alongside the name in Thai.

In both the pdf and xls the Province names are active hyperlinks so you can go from there and drill through to the list of Tambon populations by Province online (in Thai)

Edited by whimsy
  • Like 2

I thought I would help out a bit with this. Anyone who wants to take these figures and update Wikipedia please do.

Saved at this link are the figures for 2011 from the above site transferred into an Excel spreadheet. So this list of province populations is now sortable. I wanted to upload the xls here but it is not permitted to upload that file type, so you will have to get it from this link. https://dl.dropbox.c... 2011 2554.xlsx

Here is the pdf version. Thai Provinces Population Statistics 2011 2554.pdf

I have translated the Province names to English and included them as a new column alongside the name in Thai.

In both the pdf and xls the Province names are active hyperlinks so you can go from there and drill through to the list of Tambon populations by Province online (in Thai)

Good job whimsy!

Sorry Everyone I cannot figure out how to edit my posts.

But I had someone explain to me that a city and a tambon was not the same and that a city could include several tambons so is there a way to find out the 3 largest cities in each province?

Thanks for your very helpful information.

Sorry Everyone I cannot figure out how to edit my posts.

But I had someone explain to me that a city and a tambon was not the same and that a city could include several tambons so is there a way to find out the 3 largest cities in each province?

Thanks for your very helpful information.

Mate, you can not edit your post after a certain amount of time. I don't know how long that is, but I think it's around 20 minutes or so.

The administrative divisions of Thailand are actually quite complex. Starting with the fact that the provincial divisions do not necessarily align with the administrative divisions; and the fact that a thesaban tambon (subdistrict municipality of more than 5,000 citizens) and a tambon (sub-districts below amphoe level) can be two distinct divisions.

Take Ko Samui, for example: it is an Amphoe in Surat Thani Province, however, it is also a Thesaban Mueang (town of more than 10,000 citizens [even though it actually has more than 50,000 citizens and therefore qualifies as a Thesaban Nakhon (city), although it's elevation to city status has been put on the back burner, much to the despair of its residents]). So, even though, administratively, it is a town with 63,000 citizens, in reality it is an island with a few large, and several small mubans (villages). This happens all over the Kingdom.

Rather than try to explain it further, have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subdivisions_of_Thailand

That all being said, I do not know of a ready-made source for what you are seeking. I know how I'd go about getting it, but I don't want it that much!

Another problem, if you're going to be using the administrative (municipal) divisions, is that there are only 28 or so cities (Thesaban Nakhon) in the Kingdom; and 120-odd towns (Thesaban Mueang), and near 1500 townships (Thesaban Tambon).

And some provinces only have one Thesaban - city, town, or township.

Chiang Mai province, for example, has Thesaban Mueang Chiang Mai, Fang, and San Sai as the three most populous districts. The problem is Fang & San Sai are both Amphoes, consisting of eight and 12 Tambons respectively, which are further subdivided into 128 & 116 villages (muban) respectively. To further confuse matters, they both have two Theseban Tambon (townships).

Chiang Mai itself can refer to three distinct areas: the city, Thesaban Mueang Chiang Mai, with a population of 137,797; the district, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, with a population of 242,974 (2005) and the Chiang Mai metropolitan area, which has a population of over 1,000,000. The metropolitan area is located across 8 amphoe of Chiang Mai province and 2 amphoe in Lamphun Province. It has 1 Theseban Nakhon, 2 Theseban Mueang and 45 Theseban Tambon.

As I said, it's quite complex.