Pattaya Police Foot Patrol

toenail

As I look with disgust at the chopping down of the trees down to the trunk along the Beach Road promenade (some of these trees over 100 years old) I find the reasoning not well thought out by city hall. The reason for "pruning" these trees was to allow the security cameras to do a better job filming in the night and to allow the spot lights not to be blocked for security reasons. This is to prevent crime and to discourage the ladies of the night hanging around (which it hasn't).

I ask this question: Wouldn't having a foot patrol, where the police walk around the Beach Prominade be a better solution? Foot patrols are common in tourist cities, such as London, New York, Miami, Singapore... It discourages crime and enables the police to have a better understanding of what is going on in the area and to know the neigborhood. Sitting in a booth looking at black and white monitors (if they all work) is not as affective. Now when I think of it, have you ever seen the Pattaya police walk around? (tourist "police" don't count). I see them sit in the booths on the corner or stand on the corners flagging down motorbike drivers checking their papers and if they are wearing a helmet. The elimintation of these trees causes the promenade to be hotter in the day time and less attractive; meanwhile foot patrols would have been a better solution and saved the 100 year old trees.

• Like 2

Wouldn't having a foot patrol, where the police walk around the Beach Prominade be a better solution?

Yes I think it would, but Thais normally don't like to walk around aimlessly (airconditioned malls are an exception).

• Like 2

Thai police walkcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif would not suprise me if they drive by motor bike to the licence checks on beach road outside soi 9 police station. A visible police presece is the biggest deterent to crime so great idea but since when have to bothered about detering crime. If i dont involve cash generation not interested.

As an extra always coppers on the beat in London and all major cities, even back in the villages now in UK, commuity police but still effective.

Edited by marstons
  • Like 1

They prune them every couple of years or so, get over it, they will be there long after you have gone home

+++++++++++++++++

I live/ work in Pattaya, so I do care how it is taken care of. Pruning of the palm trees along the promenade -YES. Pruning of the large acacias (that provide shade, and keep the beach from eroding) -NO. It is called "chopping", chopping down to the trunk of the tree. Infact, it required a rented crane to desmantle some of these trees.