Water Taxi

tavarich

I have never taken the time to learn how to use the water taxi. I have been to the docks a couple of times and on first look that it was all in Thai.

Anyone want to give me some tips on useing them. :o

You get a map that shows the piers where they land.

You look at the color of the flag that the boats have.

You get a chart that tells which flags do what.

You get on one and hope that you've done the right thing. If you go near mid day you don't need to worry about getting back because you will have plenty of time to get back even if you make a mistake and take the wrong boat. Don't worry, you can always take a taxi home if you can't get the right boat connection. After awhile you'll see how easy and convenient they truly are. Whenever I'm in Bangkok and a water taxi is possible way to get where I'm going I choose it over all others....cheap and fast.

as mentioned previously.....whenever, wherever ..... taxi boat is the BEST alternative !!! I even try to coordinate my bkk travel schedule each and every morning. Some bus or motobike taxi runs straight onto next accesible pier. Furthermore, it is fun to watch the tourist having no idea at all where they should disembark....lol

I forgot to mention that when you pay be sure to get a ticket.....that way if you overshoot your destination you might be able to go back a pier or two to the correct destination without additional charge......if you are worried about saving a few baht.

Its been awhile since I was in Bangkok but my memory is that they ask you where you want to go (the name of the pier where you want to get off) when they take your money so be sure to know in advance where you are going so you can tell them.

it would have helped your thread if you had been more specific. Such as from where to where, and what kind of river taxi ... there are big boats, and narrow ones along the klongs, private hired ones, and regular services which are thus not really taxis at all.

I also forgot that there are some that just go across the river and not up and down the river. These are usually a different shape and size from the up and down the river ones. When you are waiting for your up and down the river boat keep your eyes open and maybe you will see them and then remember where they are. I think that some of the tourist maps will show these cross river boat paths on them. Also when you go to a pier look for posters with information on it like which colored flags go where etc. etc. Sometimes they are there and sometimes they are not....at least that's the way it used to be a few years ago.

it would have helped your thread if you had been more specific. Such as from where to where, and what kind of river taxi ... there are big boats, and narrow ones along the klongs, private hired ones, and regular services which are thus not really taxis at all.

Sorry I didn't post more info. But I just had no point of reference to start from. I will take any and all information on all the different forms of water taxi. The more I know about BKK the more better for me :o