Things That Make Me Go Hmmmmm.....

Sticky Rice Balls

Well my official first post as im a newbie and threw my hat into the ring with the 3 little pigs post--lets hope good ole saint nick is tweeking the recipes..anyhoo.

I have lived here over 3 years and there are certain things that drive me crazy!!!

So the first one i will throw out here and look for some feedback and opinions please.

Of many, many such thoughts about "thai ways" can anyone explain the the "pay to pee

pee-poo poo"(as i like to call it) at the toilets...you've seen them at bus station.

Never seen them "cleaning" or any fancy soaps..and of course TP is an extra luxury as well...so...what exactly is going on..who do they work for?..do they keep all the money...the toilets dont look like they are cleaning them with the entrance fee.

My trick i did in laos was i snuck by here and waited inside for a local to leave and i followed him out..thinking if he pays, so will i...he did NOT..and nor did i.

The "attendant" lurched at me demanding payment for a pee-pee/no.1..not a #2 btw..

My reply was to point out the local and say "he no pay"--"i no pay"...she tried to

say he worked in the market...i begrudingly paid the 1000 kip and gave her evil eye.

While in CM i duck into hotels and coffee shops nowadays, but was curious about my

fellow TV viewers and thier exps and input on this elusive VIP treament to pee pee?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

>> i begrudingly paid the 1000 kip and gave her evil eye.

Wow. Over approximately 4 baht?!?!?

Just because you do actively see them cleaning, doesn't mean they dont clean periodically / nightly.

Honestly, some things just aren't worth getting worked up over. Paying 4 baht to use a toilet definitely isn't worth the mental anguish..

-Mestizo

I always see Thais pay to use the toilets.

You always have to pay to use the toilets at bus stations, metro stations, rail, etc. in Europe. And...it costs a whole lot more than 3 or 4 Baht!

Don't be so cheap! Would you want the job of sitting out in front of the toilets collecting a few Baht? Probably not.

great topic...

I always used to nip into a Macdonalds when travelling abroad to use their services

(but NOT to eat) but that stopped after the last time I went in there... some dirty perv

had wa****d himself off against the door and I managed to get se***n on my trousers... Yuk.

Had to rush home and shower and throw them in the bin... so, be careful about being TOO cheap!

David

• Like 1

Agreed with everybody here. Paying 3 baht or so is nothing so why not just pay for something that's certainly worth it. It's a common practice all over the world except for some places but frankly I'm happy to be able to easily find a toilet when I need it.

I'd like to know how come the lady cleaners get to walk in at any time during my visit to the toilet.

It can be quite embarrassing standing in front of the urinal during the cold season. -)

No problem during other times of the year.... No really!

Thats the beauty of Morchit bus station,Bkk pay your 3bt and you have ladies mopping up around you, standing at the urinal, lifting the right leg then the left; and they are right there to catch any drips.

but forgetting to be prepared and take the paper with you...when its too late, is not good.

and last time I was around Bangla it was 10bt a shake, yet another reason to come to Chiang mai

great topic...

I always used to nip into a Macdonalds when travelling abroad to use their services

(but NOT to eat) but that stopped after the last time I went in there... some dirty perv

had wa****d himself off against the door and I managed to get se***n on my trousers... Yuk.

Had to rush home and shower and throw them in the bin... so, be careful about being TOO cheap!

David

hahahahahaha was it Big Mac?

I'd like to know how come the lady cleaners get to walk in at any time during my visit to the toilet.

It can be quite embarrassing standing in front of the urinal during the cold season. -)

No problem during other times of the year.... No really!

Thats the beauty of Morchit bus station,Bkk pay your 3bt and you have ladies mopping up around you, standing at the urinal, lifting the right leg then the left; and they are right there to catch any drips.

but forgetting to be prepared and take the paper with you...when its too late, is not good.

and last time I was around Bangla it was 10bt a shake, yet another reason to come to Chiang mai

Do they also provide this 10b shake service in macdonalds? Might explain David's sticky problem (puns bloody intended makmak). 5555555555555555555555555555555

Jokes aside it's not fair to tar all the toilet cleaners with the same brush. I've never been offered extras and I've cheed in Bangla a fair few times! Most of the girls are just looking for a simple honest imcome. :wai:

Yeah, these are public toilets and one actually is paying them to clean them which they actually do. I am HAPPY to pay them and use a clean-ish toilet rather than use one that hasn't been cleaned. If you've ever used public toilets in China, er, with piles of <deleted> everywhere, and no soap or water or tissue, you'd be willing to pay for the convenience of a maintained public restroom.

to tell the truth, it's rather a bargain. I'd pay 20 or more if I really needed it, and it'd be worth it.

Cheap Charlie mak mak! With a few more years under your belt you might start to understand a bit of how this country works! wai.gif

Agreed. Can't believe Mr. Sticky Balls is making a federal case over a few baht. It's not like these pay toilets are all over the place. He's the kind of guy that would crawl under the door at those pay toilets I see back in the USA.

• Like 1

I am concerned I have lost my 'all time low' achievement award with this topic. Please tell me it ain't so. :(

[For reference, the all time low status was officially awarded by Sbk for a topic that aimed to come up with routes out of town that avoided police checkpoints during coups, curfews and times when police check for driving while intoxicated.]

Reminds me of the Scotsman's last lament in one of the penny slot toilets in the UK.

The door had to be broken down after he had been seen entering one of the stalls a few days earlier but then somebody realised he had not been seen coming out.

Written on the inside of the door were his poetic last words:

"Here I lie brokenhearted, I paid my penny and only farted"

• Like 1

re .. You always have to pay to use the toilets at bus stations, metro stations, rail, etc. in Europe. And...it costs a whole lot more than 3 or 4 Baht!

hes right : ( .. this one was in a public park in reading england 18 months ago

wtk ..

re .. For reference, the all time low status was officially awarded by Sbk for a topic that aimed to come up with routes out of town that avoided police checkpoints during coups, curfews

that would have been mid to late may 11 then : )

dave2

post-42592-0-16263700-1344427720_thumb.j

post-42592-0-49827900-1344428899_thumb.j

post-42592-0-32035300-1344428942_thumb.j

post-42592-0-85456200-1344428998_thumb.j

I am concerned I have lost my 'all time low' achievement award with this topic. Please tell me it ain't so. sad.png

[For reference, the all time low status was officially awarded by Sbk for a topic that aimed to come up with routes out of town that avoided police checkpoints during coups, curfews and times when police check for driving while intoxicated.]

Can't say that agree with you remember the guy who was looking for a place to cash in his satongs.

Paying for a toilet should be norm if the toilet is great and clean

I am sure there are many supporters for a clean toilet ...it does wonders to your state of mind

The big C at Hang Dong has a great free clean toilet

I agree. Cleanest toilets I have seen in Thailand

i just hate it why the TGs always leave the seat UP

That's strange; my experience has always been that the lazy gits always leave them down and piss all over them !

another English joke wasted...why do we bother to inject some lighthearted sarky into this International pot

I am concerned I have lost my 'all time low' achievement award with this topic. Please tell me it ain't so. sad.png

Can't say that agree with you remember the guy who was looking for a place to cash in his satongs.

or the guy who wanted advice on where he could hide his valuables so "we" wouldnt all know

• Like 1

I am sure there are many supporters for a clean toilet ...it does wonders to your state of mind

The big C at Hang Dong has a great free clean toilet

The state of mind is important when grocery shopping, so a few minutes meditation in Big C's great free toilet does wonders and helps keep you focused.

Ja for a free toilet in a big c to come with a water feature and the nice fragrance of a mopped floor regularly cleaned ...from the hotel trade opinion its fantastic

This is the same in Japanese culture ...they call this pride at work !

If it had free wifi there are people who would spend all day in there.wink.png

• Like 2

Well i just got home and was curious about my first post--wow a hot topic...

Troll?!!! dont feed me?!..didnt know i was "Trolling"..forgive me all holy one.

Let me CLEAR this is NOT a money issue is is the principle thing as i show many chinese tourists around cm for free and my own gas/time/etc...yep-cheap charlie!

I am just curious as when they use the toilet they dont pay as i tell them they will be thought to be thai...this is all im asking..just cause i am farang...

Dear lord boy did i make the mistake of posting and even maybe of joining TV as boy do you guys lay into me..thanks for being so understanding in the matter.

I suppose i should just keep it to getting laid-girls and the best dam_n burger!

• Like 1