T O T Wi Fi Internet Anyone Using It?

Crossy

I had the same thing, it works OK most of the time, but if it rained or had lightning hit the tower service is out for days. One big problem there service after installation sucks, but I guess it may be the same for others. My house from the tower were like 5 km away.

I've had TOT Wi-net for about two years now and recommended it regularly during that time but we've had nothing but problems for the last 5-6 weeks.

Apparently lightening hit their tower during a heavy storm while we were away for a few days and when we returned we had no internet. after reporting the problem it took two weeks for somebody to come out to us. When they did they turned our aerial to face another tower. We got the internet back but since then the speed has been very erratic and the internet keeps dropping out intermittently. Sometimes it returns after about 30 seconds then drops out again. Other times the only way I can get it back is to reboot the modem. Complained several times but still can't get it working properly.

We've had lightening knock out the tower a couple of times in the past but I've always had good service and got the internet back within a day or so but I agree with you now, at the moment it sucks.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, we lost the tower a couple of weeks ago, lightning apparently, was off over a weekend, survived on One2Call 3G smile.png

By contrast, when we lost our router due to our own personal direct lightning strike (blew off our ridge tiles), the ToT chap was on site within the hour up the pole replacing the antenna / router, no charge smile.png

Always pays to keep the engineer sweet, we never ring the call centre who are useless, direct call to the engineer, as usual after a service call he and his assistant went away with some lunch money.

• Like 1

TOT must have seen me complaining about their service in post 61whistling.gifsad.png . My i internet went off at 6:00 yesterday morning, and stayed off. Complained (again) but the engineer still hasn't contacted us. Let's see how long it takes this time.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by sumrit

I've had TOT Wi-net for about two years now and recommended it regularly during that time but we've had nothing but problems for the last 5-6 weeks.

Like many things operated by a moribund state agency, there is a big initial flourish then the thing is left to rot away.

As I mentioned in a previous post, "this topology has inherent limitations - line of sight, interference, back-haul capacity, and may not scale. Like anything, it will work until it doesn't.".

Since all up-link bandwidth is shared, and voice gets priority, you should expect spotty performance. But it beats a sharp stick in the eye.

• 6 months later...

My tot wi fi was working great for about 18 months until about 2 weeks ago went bad called tot to complain and they sent out engineers, same guy that fitted it. He did a few tests and agreed it was rubbish and said they would go and check equipment down the road. Never seen again, getting really pissed now. Local speed test was showing 6-7 mb down and 0.4 up but that was using a server in Bangkok as soon as I use one outside Thailand it drops to 1-2 mb down and 0.4 mb or less up. Ok for email but as soon as you try video, forget it. A 30 second video clip took over 40 minutes. University near me had their own fibre optic cable run in, anyone know how much that cost? Incidentally i am 5 k's by road from tower perhaps 2-3 as the crow fly's. I hope they can sort it out but they don't seem interested unfortunately no other provider here

I still don't fully understand how the connection is working. Could you help me to fill up the caps?

Let's break the connection to different parts.

TOT core network <-> TOT mast <-> Winet receiver <-> Home network.

1) TOT core network <-> TOT mast

- Connection is either Fiber optic cable or Wireless Microlink

2) TOT mast <-> Wi-net receiver

- Wireless connection is Wifi or WiMax, Microlink or something else?

3) Winet receiver <-> Home network

- Is there an RJ45 / ethernet adapter which can connect to the home network.. and then could be shared with home WiFi router inside home?

Thanks, Oilinki

The receiver/antenna is an airMAX unit, which is a single PoE powered box that goes outside and gets pointed towards the tower. Inside all you have is a single ethernet cable, which goes through a PoE adaptor on it's way to the WAN port on your router - or which can be plugged directly into your PC's ethernet port..

This is the combined receiver / antenna they seem to be currently installing: http://www.ubnt.com/airmax#nanostationm

My tot wi fi was working great for about 18 months until about 2 weeks ago went bad called tot to complain and they sent out engineers, same guy that fitted it. He did a few tests and agreed it was rubbish and said they would go and check equipment down the road. Never seen again, getting really pissed now. Local speed test was showing 6-7 mb down and 0.4 up but that was using a server in Bangkok as soon as I use one outside Thailand it drops to 1-2 mb down and 0.4 mb or less up. Ok for email but as soon as you try video, forget it. A 30 second video clip took over 40 minutes. University near me had their own fibre optic cable run in, anyone know how much that cost? Incidentally i am 5 k's by road from tower perhaps 2-3 as the crow fly's. I hope they can sort it out but they don't seem interested unfortunately no other provider here

Keep on complaining until they fix it.

Here's a test to San Francisco using Wi-net only a few moments ago:

post-163537-0-26684900-1400899973_thumb.

It's not the 20mbps I can on domestic tests, but it's not terrible..