T O T Wi Fi Internet Anyone Using It?

Crossy

Have you tried using the unit's serial number? I know when TrueOnline was setting up my cable modem over a year ago for the password they either used all of the serial number or it may have been the entire serial number "minus the last two numbers." I was there during the setup and made it a point to find out the password they used and then change it to one of my selection while they were still there. Maybe worth giving the serial number a try if not tried already as the User ID and/or Password....couldn't hurt.

Or maybe try "totwifi" for both the User ID and Password.

Edited by Pib

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The unit was set to default at one time, but after the tech had left ubnt / ubnt no longer functions sad.png

I can get Wifey to call the man and ask smile.png

When they set ours up they used the contact telephone number we'd given them (in our case the wife's mobile number) as the password.

AIS have the same service as TOT's Winet, and it is called Airnet. They are currently doing a special promotion: 399 baht for wifi router and 1000 baht for installation of antenna.

Are you using this AirNet service? It looks pretty good. Looks like 5 GHz, reach seems, according to some Thai forums, limited to 5 Km. 7 Mbps/7 Mbps: 590 baht, 890 baht for the Plus service which seems to allow P2P apps.

They have a Thai-language website: http://www.ais.co.th/airnet/th/

http://www.ais.co.th...oduct_home.html

http://www.ais.co.th.../th/branch.html

http://www.unlimitpc...roadband-page-3

Looks like it scales to 50 Mbps/50 Mbps.

http://lunla.in.th/2...%b8%aa%e0%b8%b2

Others reported that they paid 4000+ baht for installation, so i thought the 1000 baht offer was particularly good. I went down to AIS to sign up, but was told that they were not sure if i was quite in one of the available zone. They said an engineer or somebody would get back to me in a few days and let me know for sure. if i get it, i will surely report back on performance, but others have reported that the TOT one is very good.

Just wanted to add that there are two further packages that i don't think are mentioned on the website. On top of the Home and Home plus packages, there is the Professional and Incredible package, and the speeds go upto 20/20 and 50/50 respectively. The Incredible package costs 9000 baht a month.

For 9000 baht I get 19.2 months and my speed is usually around 5-6 Mbps. Plenty fast enough for me. I wonder how many morons have bought this package?

I suspect that otherwise 'unserviceable' locations with commercial, educational and even government facilities might find these services cost-effective? If only for back-up or supplementing other existing voice, video and data services? Smaller communities/extended households might be able to share the service? Not sure why anyone would have to be a moron as they could choose not to subscribe to the service.

The synchronous nature of this service should appeal to those using applications which improve with increased upload speed. ;)

(HomePlus may be required for those apps?)

post-9615-0-09611800-1345607822_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

I'm planning to go into the nearest TOT office and ask about getting the TOT Wi-Net service , but currently I'm away from home , so getting as much info before hand may be a help .

For you guy's using the Wi-Net service

I would be interested to know if it was necessary for you to canvas your area and persuade other people to sign up for the Wi-Net service ( so many subscribers needed before TOT would set up a Wi-Net transmitter antenna )

and if possible add any updated comments you may have about the Wi-Net service .

And does any one have a direct link to the TOT / Wi-Net web page

Thank thumbsup.gif

I'm planning to go into the nearest TOT office and ask about getting the TOT Wi-Net service , but currently I'm away from home , so getting as much info before hand may be a help .

For you guy's using the Wi-Net service

I would be interested to know if it was necessary for you to canvas your area and persuade other people to sign up for the Wi-Net service ( so many subscribers needed before TOT would set up a Wi-Net transmitter antenna )

and if possible add any updated comments you may have about the Wi-Net service .

And does any one have a direct link to the TOT / Wi-Net web page

Thank thumbsup.gif

I don't think that TOT canvassed the area but there is a medium Japanese business about 1km up the road so perhaps they wanted it.

TOT put a tower on a friends land and my friend next door called them and went on the service, I went on a month or so later and another guy who has a resort had 2 systems installed.

It works fairly well and much better than the EDGE I had before.

My only gripe is that when we get an electricity cut we can't use the service as they have no UPS or battery back up on the tower.

Just after I posted that we DID have a power out for a minute or so and it took a gouple of minutes to come back on line.

Thanks for your comment thumbsup.gif , is the service throttled in any way after using a certain amount to GB , and if possible what sort of speeds

do you personally get .

Thanks

Thanks for your comment thumbsup.gif , is the service throttled in any way after using a certain amount to GB , and if possible what sort of speeds

do you personally get .

Thanks

AFAIK there are no fair-use caps.

http://www.overclockzone.com/forums/showthread.php/1197169-TOT-WiFi-Wi-Net-%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%81-TOT/page17

do you personally get .

Thanks

AFAIK there are no fair-use caps.

http://www.overclock...²à¸-TOT/page17

Thanks again , its apprecated thumbsup.gif

would you happen to know if there's a TOT web page for the Wi-Net service ?

• 1 month later...

I still don't fully understand how the connection is working. Could you help me to fill up the caps?

Let's break the connection to different parts.

TOT core network <-> TOT mast <-> Winet receiver <-> Home network.

1) TOT core network <-> TOT mast

- Connection is either Fiber optic cable or Wireless Microlink

2) TOT mast <-> Wi-net receiver

- Wireless connection is Wifi or WiMax, Microlink or something else?

3) Winet receiver <-> Home network

- Is there an RJ45 / ethernet adapter which can connect to the home network.. and then could be shared with home WiFi router inside home?

Thanks, Oilinki

1) Probably, I'm not even sure where the tower is.

2) The link is AirMax on 5GHz via an AirGrid M5 (see post #23)

3) We have a single CAT-5 weatherproof cable from the AirGrid transceiver to a POE adapter indoors (which powers the transceiver) then CAT-5 on to either your PC or an ethernet switch if you have more PCs.

The AirMax receiver on the pole incorporates a DHCP router so connecting multiple PCs is not an issue. The TOT man said we could only have 1 PC unless we paid more but it works just fine with three smile.png

I still don't fully understand how the connection is working. Could you help me to fill up the caps?

Let's break the connection to different parts.

TOT core network <-> TOT mast <-> Winet receiver <-> Home network.

1) TOT core network <-> TOT mast

- Connection is either Fiber optic cable or Wireless Microlink

2) TOT mast <-> Wi-net receiver

- Wireless connection is Wifi or WiMax, Microlink or something else?

3) Winet receiver <-> Home network

- Is there an RJ45 / ethernet adapter which can connect to the home network.. and then could be shared with home WiFi router inside home?

Thanks, Oilinki

http://www.thaivisa....s/#entry5353673

http://www.overclock...¹ˆà¸ˆà¸²à¸-TOT

https://docs.google..../nsm_ds_web.pdf

1.) Depends on the exact location but probably microwave uplink, sharing all forms of voice and data. Some towers maybe have fiber.

2.) 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g, I think.

3.) All the CPE I've seen has a single 802.3 10/100 CAT 5/RJ45, ethernet uplink to your PC or router/WiFi AP. Like any WAN connection you get a single IP, which you can share with as many private IP addresses as you need.

Obviously this topology has inherent limitations - line of sight, interference, back-haul capacity, and may not scale. Like anything, it will work until it doesn't.

Edited by lomatopo

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All good info...

I am still on a P**y Dtac aircard and get about 1kb an hour so had a word with the guy on the TOT stand at Royal Airport Garden last week who assured me that they (wi-Net)were in my area.

We spoke to them again on Friday and they admitted that although they had a lot of requests ref the Maeon ..but sorry... no have ...maybe another couple of months.

Only 40 Kms out of CM but might as well be in the Vietnam Jungle...bit similar suppose.

Anyway thanks for the bits on 3BB and AIS will give the a buzz.

R

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

I've read all 3 pages, but no one ever mention the connection quality AT ALL!!!

All your Speed Tests don't say anything about the connection quality!

There are two factors that make a connection reliable: ping and packets loss.

• The ping is the time it takes for a request from your computer to go to a web server and come back.
    A good ping is under 50 millisecond. A bad ping is above 100 millisecond (within Thailand). This factor determines any delays when calling on Skype for example.
  • The packets loss is the amount of requests made that are lost during the trip from your computer to a web server.
    A good connection shows 0% packet loss. Anything above 0% packet loss is problematic. This factor determines if you'll have any fadeouts or voice cuts when calling on Skype for example.

Here is a tool to test your connection QUALITY (not quantity): http://www.pingtest.net/

In order to test for packet loss, you must have Java installed. A normal browser cannot test for packet loss, so any other browser-based test cannot measure your connection quality.

To share your results simply click on "Direct Link" and past the URL here, let me start:

86547077.png

It's past midnight and for some reason today it's working OK. Any other time and day, it's not uncommon for me to have like 50% packet loss, meaning that I can't call on Skype or even load a normal web page, I must hit "reload" 5 times and still have some images not showing up! I hate TOT. I hate TOT. I hate TOT very much. Really, I hate TOT.

Taken at 6.30pm on a Saturday, probably our worst connection time:-

86726624.png

Worse than yours, Speedtest comes back at 2.95/0.43 Mbps

UK-TV works fine and net activities are amply quick smile.png

I'll retest on Sunday morning.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

To change to Wi-Net with TOT, i.e you already have a TOT ADSL line, it's free of charge. We did pay extra for more cable and an extra support pole (due to our location/ source of signal/ size of house). If you have a Wi-Fi router already they can use that and the Wi-Net filter (converts Wi-Net "radio" signal to Wi-Fi signal) is free too.

TOT have a list of contractors they farm the conversion work out too. If you can get local knowledge of who the best ones are first I would suggest that. I asked for the cable in advance to run it above the roof (suspended ceiling and down the orighinal ADSL access point) plus I got a local joiner to fix the cable neatly to the house.

The conversion chappies ran the cable along a fence line (may I suggest armoured cable covering or PVC pipes to protect cable form pesky squirrels) and put up the poles.

I had suffered with an underground ADSL line for 4 years (alien cross talk and static from associated power lines). I have Wi-Net now for a week and can recommend it so far. I know only a week! The conversion chap told me speeds will drop when more take up the Wi-Net option BUT there are independent operators coming on line and he said he can switch to one of those for me if it becomes a problem (e.g. VNet)

If you don't have a TOT line already the cost would be the cost of the pole(s) (which varies form 4 to 8 metres depending on location) we paid 750 bht for an extension to the standard 4 metre pole and 25 bht per metre for the cable. The filter? converter I am not sure of price, not much I think. A router will depend on personal price I have an old Linksys that cost 3,000 bht.

Lastly when they set it up ask them to take you through the software set up and note down all the relevant settings (or do a few screen prints). This helps if you have to reset at a later date.