One Way Or Return Ticket For 12M M/E Aust Tourist Visa?

Once a 12month multi-entry tourist visa to Australia is granted, is it ok to travel on a one way ticket from Thailand if the return date has not been determined?

What is the likelihood of being refused entry in Australia because immigration thinks the traveller is planning to overstay? The reason I ask is that I've had a look at the cost of a returned flight and it's a rip off if you don't travel back on that specified date. Even a flexible ticket which already costs more will cost an extra $300 + fare difference to change.

Also, what is the minimum amount of time that the traveller will need to leave Australia before up coming back in to start the next 3 months of the M/E visa? Thanks in advance.

I also wondered this and last year contacted Immigration in Australia. They said it was okay to have a one way ticket. They used the word intent. That is she has the intent to depart before the visa expires it is okay. In our case it was a 3 months single visa. Cannot answer the 2nd part.

Edited by ripstanley
  • Like 1

Just my opinion ...

Once a 12month multi-entry tourist visa to Australia is granted, is it ok to travel on a one way ticket from Thailand if the return date has not been determined? Others to answer who have done this.

What is the likelihood of being refused entry in Australia because immigration thinks the traveller is planning to overstay? Most, and I stress most travellers (on this Forum) who get a multi-entry tourist Visa have already travelled to Australia on a 3 month Visa. So have 'proven' themselves to be relied upon to abide by the Visa conditions. Some score the multi that you mention with their first application, but it appears to be the exception and not the rule..

Also, what is the minimum amount of time that the traveller will need to leave Australia before up coming back in to start the next 3 months of the M/E visa? There is no 'minimum' time.

However some here have reported extended questions if a very short period of absence from Australian shores before representing to Immigration.

One member here posted that his partner did, what was construed as a Visa Run to New Zealand and was questioned further on return to Australia.

Again, from others experience posted here there is a thought that if the 12 month Visa is used to it's capacity i.e. 3 month stay, short period outside the country, 3 month stay, short period outside the country etc, then the next application for a 'Tourist Visa' maybe more closely scrutinised as, for the past 12 months the applicant has 'spent or lived more time in Australia' then in Thailand.

As we know, the valid tourist Visa only allows the holder to present to the Immigration Officer and it is the Immigration Officer who validates the Visa ... same as in Thailand.

It's just my opinion because you have asked a lot of hypothecticial questions ...

BTW ... if it's your Father applying for the Visa, we wish him the best of luck and hope that his health improves soon.

I know nothing of Australian visas, but do have a question.

No matter what the price of a return ticket and how much of a 'rip off' you consider it to be; even with the extra for a flexible ticket, surely it's cheaper than two singles?

Different direction, but when my wife's father was dying she bought a 6 month open return London to Bangkok with EVA. After he died she changed the date and was charged nothing.

Maybe that's just EVA; do they fly from Bangkok to your part of Australia?

What is the likelihood of being refused entry in Australia because immigration thinks the traveller is planning to overstay? Most, and I stress most travellers (on this Forum) who get a multi-entry tourist Visa have already travelled to Australia on a 3 month Visa. So have 'proven' themselves to be relied upon to abide by the Visa conditions. Some score the multi that you mention with their first application, but it appears to be the exception and not the rule.. Sorry, my question wasn't clear enough. I was asking what the likelihood was of being refused entry into Australia travelling on a one way ticket as opposed to obtaining the visa itself. ;)

Also, what is the minimum amount of time that the traveller will need to leave Australia before up coming back in to start the next 3 months of the M/E visa? There is no 'minimum' time.

However some here have reported extended questions if a very short period of absence from Australian shores before representing to Immigration.

One member here posted that his partner did, what was construed as a Visa Run to New Zealand and was questioned further on return to Australia. So if we stay in australia just shy of 3 months, go to fiji or new zealand for a week of genuine holiday then comes back in to stay for another 3 months this is frowned upon?

Again, from others experience posted here there is a thought that if the 12 month Visa is used to it's capacity i.e. 3 month stay, short period outside the country, 3 month stay, short period outside the country etc, then the next application for a 'Tourist Visa' maybe more closely scrutinised as, for the past 12 months the applicant has 'spent or lived more time in Australia' then in Thailand. This doesn't make sense to me, why have a 12 month M/E visa if the holder can't use it to its full advantages?? Why not just give everyone a 3 month no further stay?

As we know, the valid tourist Visa only allows the holder to present to the Immigration Officer and it is the Immigration Officer who validates the Visa ... same as in Thailand.

BTW ... if it's your Father applying for the Visa, we wish him the best of luck and hope that his health improves soon. Thank you very much for your well wishes. wai.gif

No matter what the price of a return ticket and how much of a 'rip off' you consider it to be; even with the extra for a flexible ticket, surely it's cheaper than two singles? I'm not sure if this is correct, in Australia a return ticket is essentially departure one way ticket + arrival one way ticket. Someone might correct me on this...

Different direction, but when my wife's father was dying she bought a 6 month open return London to Bangkok with EVA. After he died she changed the date and was charged nothing. Sorry to hear that about the loss.

Maybe that's just EVA; do they fly from Bangkok to your part of Australia? I'm not sure but I would rather a direct flight from Thai to Aust.

Edited by missymoo

No matter what the price of a return ticket and how much of a 'rip off' you consider it to be; even with the extra for a flexible ticket, surely it's cheaper than two singles? I'm not sure if this is correct, in Australia a return ticket is essentially departure one way ticket + arrival one way ticket. Someone might correct me on this...

Different direction, but when my wife's father was dying she bought a 6 month open return London to Bangkok with EVA. After he died she changed the date and was charged nothing. Sorry to hear that about the loss.

Maybe that's just EVA; do they fly from Bangkok to your part of Australia? I'm not sure but I would rather a direct flight from Thai to Aust.

You can acquire a one year open return ticket. In other words outbound is a confirmed booking, but return booking is left open, but valid for 12 months. If your father is Thai he will get a discount flying with Thai - used to be A$70 discount, maybe changed but worth asking if still available

EDIT: Discount was for Thai's making a booking in Australia, have to go to the Thai office and show passport and pay in cash. See if it's available if you book for your father for collection on departure.

Edited by simple1

<snip> a return ticket (my paraphrasing) surely it's cheaper than two singles?

I know where you are coming from 7by7.

If, you were to buy 2 x single Thai Airline tickets it would be much more expensive then buying a standard return flight.

However, if were to use on of the Low Cost Carriers such as AirAsia or Scoot, then usually the Return works out roughly the same price as 2 Single tickets.

Edited by David48

<snip> surely it's cheaper than two singles?

If, you were to buy 2 x single Thai Airline tickets it would be much more expensive then buying a standard return flight.

However, if were to use on of the Low Cost Carriers such as AirAsia or Scoot, then usually the Return works out roughly the same price as 2 Single tickets.

This must only be Thai Airways as the likes of Qantas is simply 2x one way tickets.

<snip> I'm not sure but I would rather a direct flight from Thai to Aust.

If you choose Thai Airlines, they are about $1,100 for a return flight. BKK-BNE or SYD-BKK.

However if you choose another carrier it can be almost 1/2 that price!

My lady just flew 10 days ago from BKK-SIN-OOL and the return flight was a shade over $500.

The connecting flights were only a few hours apart.

If you wish to look at the options, start with this posting of mine in another's Thread about Australian Visa and travel issues here.

This must only be Thai Airways as the likes of Qantas is simply 2x one way tickets.

I just did a test booking via the Qantas website and you can get a ticket BKK - SYD - BKK valid for 12 months. Full flexi fare is 43,000 baht. Would be around 30,000 baht for confirmed booking, no cancellation refund. As said lower prices from Low Cost carriers, but would your father be comfortable with changing flights at KL or Singapore.

What is the likelihood of being refused entry in Australia because immigration thinks the traveller is planning to overstay? Most, and I stress most travellers (on this Forum) who get a multi-entry tourist Visa have already travelled to Australia on a 3 month Visa. So have 'proven' themselves to be relied upon to abide by the Visa conditions. Some score the multi that you mention with their first application, but it appears to be the exception and not the rule.. Sorry, my question wasn't clear enough. I was asking what the likelihood was of being refused entry into Australia travelling on a one way ticket as opposed to obtaining the visa itself. wink.png

Sorry missymoo ... my bad for not understanding your question. My gf's experience was that when she flew AirAsia BKK-KL-OOL about 6 months ago, at the Bangkok Airport they asked to see her return ticket out of Australia.

This time she fly AirAsia BKK-SIN, then another carrier from SIN-OOL and the ticket was not asked for.

My gut feeling (not a know fact) is that the Airline is responsible for your exit of the Country and have a vague recollection of reading that in other parts of this Forum.

Hope that helps.

Edited by David48

Very unlikely to be refused entry without a return ticket as long as you can demonstate sufficient funds to support your stay and buy a ticket out. You would be unlucky to be referred from the primary line for not having one, but, as mentioned above, you may have troubles at check-in. Airlines can be fined and are responsible for returning people who are refused entry under air regulations. For this reason they may be pedantic about return tickets.

Multiple 12 m visas are usually issued for close family members who may have reason to visit Australian family several times over a year. They are issued to save these people from continually reapplying. They are not issued as a form of de facto residence for a 12m stay. People staying longer than 12 months generally need to undergo health and character checks. If you pop out of the country for short periods every 3m you could be questioned and deemed to be abusing your tourist visa and refused entry.

• Like 1

I just did a test booking via the Qantas website and you can get a ticket BKK - SYD - BKK valid for 12 months. Full flexi fare is 43,000 baht. Would be around 30,000 baht for confirmed booking, no cancellation refund. As said lower prices from Low Cost carriers, but would your father be comfortable with changing flights at KL or Singapore.

There is one problem with booking Qantas online from Thailand. If you use a credit card you have to produce this card within working days 2 days of the booking

This is what is on their website

Important Information

After you have completed your booking you will need to visit our office below within two working days for credit card and signature verification. Your ticket will be issued once your credit card has been sighted.

Bangkok Office

Tour East (Thailand)#, 21st Floor, Charn Issara Tower I, 942/160-163 Rama 4 Road, Silom, Bangrak

Open hours: 8.30am-5pm Mon to Fri

Phone: +66 (2) 236 2800

#Qantas representative

http://www.qantas.com.au/tripflowapp/flights.tripflow

What is the likelihood of being refused entry in Australia because immigration thinks the traveller is planning to overstay? Most, and I stress most travellers (on this Forum) who get a multi-entry tourist Visa have already travelled to Australia on a 3 month Visa. So have 'proven' themselves to be relied upon to abide by the Visa conditions. Some score the multi that you mention with their first application, but it appears to be the exception and not the rule.. Sorry, my question wasn't clear enough. I was asking what the likelihood was of being refused entry into Australia travelling on a one way ticket as opposed to obtaining the visa itself. wink.png

Sorry missymoo ... my bad for not understanding your question. My gf's experience was that when she flew AirAsia BKK-KL-OOL about 6 months ago, at the Bangkok Airport they asked to see her return ticket out of Australia.

This time she fly AirAsia BKK-SIN, then another carrier from SIN-OOL and the ticket was not asked for.

My gut feeling (not a know fact) is that the Airline is responsible for your exit of the Country and have a vague recollection of reading that in other parts of this Forum.

Hope that helps.

Just a query. Was she asked for the return ticket at checkin or when she went to the departure gate?

Not quite.

The carrier is supposed to take reasonable steps to ensure that the passenger will be admitted at their destination; checking passports for visas is the main one.

If they knowingly carry someone who does not have any required entry clearance for their destination then if that person is refused entry the airline will not only have to bear the cost of returning them from whence they came but may also be fined 10,000USD.

Some check-in staff take this to mean they need to check passengers traveling for a visit for return tickets, even though some countries, like the UK and, from what Old Croc says, Australia, do not require visitors to hold a return ticket as long as the passenger can show if asked that they have access to sufficient funds with which to buy one.

Once a passenger has been admitted to a country then the airline that carried them there no longer has any responsibility if they then overstay or otherwise breach the terms of their visa.

Not quite.

The carrier is supposed to take reasonable steps to ensure that the passenger will be admitted at their destination; checking passports for visas is the main one.

If they knowingly carry someone who does not have any required entry clearance for their destination then if that person is refused entry the airline will not only have to bear the cost of returning them from whence they came but may also be fined 10,000USD.

Some check-in staff take this to mean they need to check passengers traveling for a visit for return tickets, even though some countries, like the UK and, from what Old Croc says, Australia, do not require visitors to hold a return ticket as long as the passenger can show if asked that they have access to sufficient funds with which to buy one.

Once a passenger has been admitted to a country then the airline that carried them there no longer has any responsibility if they then overstay or otherwise breach the terms of their visa.

Thanks for clearing that up ... thumbsup.gif

My gf's experience was that when she flew AirAsia BKK-KL-OOL about 6 months ago, at the Bangkok Airport they asked to see her return ticket out of Australia.

Just a query. Was she asked for the return ticket at checkin or when she went to the departure gate?

With AirAisa ... it was twice.

The ticket was BKK-KL-OOL (Australia) ... no stopovers.

She was asked at Suvarnabhumi by the AirAsia check-in staff ... then a second time by ticket checkers at the boarding gate in the departure lounge before boarding the flight at the LCC Terminal in KL.

Amusingly, I was asked by the AirAsia staff at my Airport in Australia for evidence of a return ticket out of KL. What I had done when I first travelled to Thailand through Malaysia was to stay in KL for a few days to check the place out, and they asked me for evidence of exit out of Malaysia.

Which was no problems because I had forwarding ticket onto Bangkok.

Even if they unknowingly carry an incorrectly documented passenger airlines will be fined. (this would be the case normally as the airline would not uplift if they were aware of a problem. There are steps an airline can take at check-in if a pax doesn't hold a visa)

Even if a pax holds the correct documentation (valid pp and visa) and they are refused entry for some other reason, the airline is still responsible for removing them under IATA regs. Another reason for airlines to ensure people hold return tickets.

Once a passenger is Immigration cleared the airline's responsibilities will normally cease.

As I want to make an online BKK/SYD/BKK booking with Qantas, I contacted the Qantas office in BKK and they advised you can only use AMEX without the need to physically visit their office. When asked why they said Qantas only has this agreement in place with AMEX, no other credit card providers. You can of course book online from Australia with AMEX card (Qantas Thailand site) & email soft copy to the person in Thailand.

Edited by simple1

Since you are in the process of purchasing a ticket ... missymoo has the person who is travelling received the Visa already?

Or are your purchasing the Ticket in anticipation of the Visa being forthcoming?

Edited by David48

^^ Great news that your Fathers Visa was granted ... and surprised that it was a 12 month Visa and not an initial 3 month Visa.

May I ask on what premise he was granted the Visa? eg. Tourism or visiting a Relative?

Normally the Immigration Dept. are shy to issue Visas to foreign Nationals without a compelling reason for the Visitor to return to his/her departure country before the Visa has finished ... how did you address that?

Indeed ... you could start an entire thread just with information about your Fathers Visa application as I know I will be struggling with a similar situation in years to come.