Thai Government Cashes In On Crooks' Cars

webfact

Government Cashes In On Crooks’ Cars

f.jpeg

More than 318 seized luxury cars were auctioned by the customs facility, which expected to collect about 300 million baht from the auction. The cars were seized from criminals by customs and other government offices. Models of auctioned cars included Porsche, Bentley, Ferrari and Mercedes-Benz.

BANGKOK – August 8, 2012 [PDN]: The auction of 318 seized luxury cars by the government was opened by chairman Mr. Somchai Pulsawat, director-general of the department. The auction took place in the parking lot in front of the evidence department of customs facilitation.

The customs department arranged for many security guards at the event to prevent people from threatening their bid competitors. The cars had been seized by customs and other government offices from criminal activity like smuggling and illegal importing.

Full story: http://www.pattayada...crooks’-cars/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2012-08-09

footer_n.gif

Now you know where customs officials get their luxury cars from.

Average price of less than a million bht.

Bet the auction is 'invitation' only too.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Almost the same in the UK. HM Customs seize everything from Aardvarks to Zebras from businesses that default on VAT payments. The sales are advertised but in such papers as the London Gazette or obscure locals that nobody ever reads. Those in the know tell dealers and relatives and killings can be made. Much of the gear is immediately put up for resale. The irony is that buyers pay cash and are paid in cash, hence no VAT records. I furnished my office with furniture and a couple of state of the art PCs for 5K sterling.

I also bought two almost brand new bicycles for my kids for a fiver at a police auction of recovered stolen goods that nobody had claimed.

The banks and building societies, when they existed, do similar dodgy deals with seized property. All too often the monies raised do not cover the full debt so those now without a home still owe. This grey market is a prime source of income for solicitors and estate agents.

The cars had been seized by customs and other government offices from criminal activity like smuggling and illegal importing

Bit of a typo there. Surely it should read "seized from customs and other government offices from criminal activity like smuggling and illegal importing"

Auctioned car models included Bentley, Ferrari, and Porsche. The most expensive car was a gray 2010 Mercedes-Benz S300. It’s bidding opened at 4.9 million baht and finished at 5.7 million baht.

You have absolutely got to be kidding me, the Ferrari in the picture is worth than 20mn alone. How many cars were bought by the very people that they were confiscated from? Surely the reserve price should be at least the level of excise should the car have been imported legally? Have you ever seen such an obvious government sponsored scam? The cars will go straight back out on the car lots at twice the price for which they were just auctioned.

Bought by some politicians or police heavy weights most probably. As it seems they were angry with the people they confiscated them from.

One mafia against the other mafia....

How do you know that? Proof please!

Customs Dept grossed more than THB562mil from sales of confiscated cars

BANGKOK, 10 August 2012 (NNT) – The Customs Department has been pleased with the latest sales of its confiscated cars.

Customs Department Director-General Somchai Poolsavasdi said that the department has sold 317 out of 318 confiscated cars in the latest public auction.

Mr. Somchai said that the seized-car auction has grossed as much as 562.17 million baht.

He stated that a convertible 2002 Rolls Royce topped the sales with the price of 9.2 million baht, which is much higher than its opening price of 2.43 million baht, while a 2001 Proton Saga was sold at the lowest price of 47,000 baht, compared with its opening price of 45,000 baht.

The Customs Department Director-General said that the latest auction was the first of the fiscal year 2012.

In fiscal 2011, the Customs Department organized two seized car auctions, in which a total of 455 cars were sold for a total amount of 655.63 million baht.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-08-10 footer_n.gif

Hahaha! I was about to comment that we can expect to see Custom's Officials driving some very fancy cars over the coming years.

I don't know what your definition of "driving" is. What we can really expect is to see Custom's Officials causing accidents, traffic jams and other road maladies in more fancy cars.

When reading the second article it seems as if the average price was about 1,78 mil B which sounds in the ball park as it is obvious that all the vehicles where not luxury with a Proton in the mix. You guys can have the Ferrari I prefer going out of this life another way. Where is the wife??

That is a 1990s 355, not worth more than $70k in the US. You are all dreaming, none of these cars were sold for cheap. Amazing how much crap people talk in this forum. 5.7million baht for a S300? That's nuts, you can buy a new S65 for that.

What, in Thailand? Really?

• Like 1

Almost the same in the UK. HM Customs seize everything from Aardvarks to Zebras from businesses that default on VAT payments. The sales are advertised but in such papers as the London Gazette or obscure locals that nobody ever reads. Those in the know tell dealers and relatives and killings can be made. Much of the gear is immediately put up for resale. The irony is that buyers pay cash and are paid in cash, hence no VAT records. I furnished my office with furniture and a couple of state of the art PCs for 5K sterling.

I also bought two almost brand new bicycles for my kids for a fiver at a police auction of recovered stolen goods that nobody had claimed.

The banks and building societies, when they existed, do similar dodgy deals with seized property. All too often the monies raised do not cover the full debt so those now without a home still owe. This grey market is a prime source of income for solicitors and estate agents.

The same thing happens in the US. The advertisement for these auctions are done in obscure newspapers and only a select few people know about them. I do believe though, that most of the seized vehicles, whether it be cars, boats or airplanes have a minimum bid on them. Especially if it's the Feds doing the auction. Not so sure about local police auctions. I had a couple of friends whom seem to be in the know about these auctions and made some good money at them. They let me purchase a fairly new cadillac seville through them back in the early 80's. It was one of the only cars I ever made money on when I eventually sold it.

That is a 1990s 355, not worth more than $70k in the US. You are all dreaming, none of these cars were sold for cheap. Amazing how much crap people talk in this forum. 5.7million baht for a S300? That's nuts, you can buy a new S65 for that.

Indeed "amazing how much crap people talk in this forum." Crap like "5.7million baht for a S300? That's nuts, you can buy a new S65 for that." Compare apples with apples, please. We are talking about Thailand, where a new S65 costs in the order of 3 times 5.7million baht.

Every car in the world has a "VIN" number (vehicle number).

- it isn't so much hard work to contact car manufacturers and find out where the car was sold and who owns it.

what happened to giving the cars back to their rightful owners? or is that too honest?

what a great day for whoever is involved in this particular scam!

Auctioned car models included Bentley, Ferrari, and Porsche. The most expensive car was a gray 2010 Mercedes-Benz S300. It’s bidding opened at 4.9 million baht and finished at 5.7 million baht.

You have absolutely got to be kidding me, the Ferrari in the picture is worth than 20mn alone. How many cars were bought by the very people that they were confiscated from? Surely the reserve price should be at least the level of excise should the car have been imported legally? Have you ever seen such an obvious government sponsored scam? The cars will go straight back out on the car lots at twice the price for which they were just auctioned.

20 million for a Ferrari 355 spider. That car is at least 13 years old, made between 95 and 99. I sold my pristine 98 355 Tour De France Blue 355 in 2007 for $ 80,000 US. You could pick them up for 68k to 75k back then. 355 worth maybe 75k US today tops if very low mileage and engine out service done with updated cats which were defective.

of course you can... but only in your wet dreams tongue.png