9-Year-Old In Thai Govt Drug-Rehab Programme

webfact

9-year-old in govt drug-rehab programme

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The youngest drug addict participating in a government rehabilitation scheme is 9, while young addicts are prone to new consumption methods in which amphetamines or other substances are mixed with cough syrup and carbonated drinks, a Public Health Ministry inspectorgeneral said yesterday.

The proportion of female addicts has increased from 5 to 20 per cent, while crystal meth was becoming more popular among young adults, said Bunrueng Trainruengworrawat, the head of a ministry rehabilitation centre. The ministry is now focusing on preventing drug addicts from becoming repeat addicts, while minimising the chance of them trying other substances.

Amphetamine is the most used, at 70 per cent of 372,986 cases, while the rest use marijuana and other substances. A total of 249,397 drug addicts volunteered to undergo rehab courses from October to June 30, while 112,124 were ordered to, including 11,465 inmates, he said. The 9yearold child, of unknown gender, underwent a course for addiction to unknown substances.

The ministry is concerned over various methods and mixtures of narcotics and other drugs or substances, such as cold pills, cough syrups, sodas and herbal potions, which could cause longterm detrimental effects, or even fatal high blood pressure or rapid heartbeat.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-10

Unfortunately this is all too common, it's a consequence of these poor kids being brought up in chaotic households by drug addicted parents. There are kids of a similar age up and down the UK dealing with the same issues.

It's the most tragic side effect of drug usage, kids paying the price.

• Like 2

Yes...LOS 's hidden face? Very sad such new. If in this Country it were GENUINE rehab programs run by the government we would not hear about such cases. : Mix cough syrup of Thailand (dextromethorfan) with soda?! And maybe ice Crystal. Etc. Thinner?! Why dont follow the example of Switzerland in drug abuse management policy?

Oh i forgot.... blabla losing face.....

Sent from my GT-S5830T using Thaivisa Connect App

"The ministry is concerned over various methods and mixtures of narcotics and other drugs or substances, such as cold pills, cough syrups, sodas and herbal potions, which could cause long term detrimental effects, or even fatal high blood pressure or rapid heartbeat."

Of course, the drug which is the most addictive, does all the above and kills more Thais than all illegal substances combined, happens to be legal...Tobacco. If the ministry is truly concerned about the welfare of its youth and older citizens, it would do something more than putting up signs about an unenforced 2000 THB fine. When the youth of a nation sees that laws prohibiting any act or use of a deadly (albeit legal) substance are not enforced, they will learn not to respect any other law...Especially when they come to know that the people making those laws are also making a profit from the selling of those products which are conveniently kept legal.

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 1

I've had occasion to be in the slums of Klong Toei a few times. Each time I have been there in broad daylight, I have openly observed children younger than 9 years old abusing inhalants of some sort. They sit there inhaling the fumes openly, even right next to a school. It's shocking to see, yet nobody seems to care in that environment. It's like stepping into an alternate universe. Truly disturbing .....

Yes...LOS 's hidden face? Very sad such new. If in this Country it were GENUINE rehab programs run by the government we would not hear about such cases. : Mix cough syrup of Thailand (dextromethorfan) with soda?! And maybe ice Crystal. Etc. Thinner?! Why dont follow the example of Switzerland in drug abuse management policy?

Unfortunately, the cases we hear about in any rehab programs anywhere in the world are about the very few who have had a chance to use them. To state that any country is better at controlling drugs by using figures/statistics from these programs is a pipe dream. And again, this drug problem is nothing new here in Thailand, ranging from solvent abuse to mainline dependant; the only change is the number of users/addicts.

There are literally hundreds of products available across the counter that can be effectively altered or abused to produce a high. Multiply that by 10 if you start mixing these.

As a matter if interest, what is the drug abuse management policy in Switzerland? Seriously.

It reminds me of the children I've seen in Australia sniffing glue and spray paint from a plastic bag before moving onto other addictive substances, doesn't matter where it happens in the world, its sad to see, especially when those who have the greatest influence in the childs life do nothing to prevent the addiction, or are actively encourage it.

"The ministry is concerned over various methods and mixtures of narcotics and other drugs or substances, such as cold pills, cough syrups, sodas and herbal potions, which could cause long term detrimental effects, or even fatal high blood pressure or rapid heartbeat."

Of course, the drug which is the most addictive, does all the above and kills more Thais than all illegal substances combined, happens to be legal...Tobacco. If the ministry is truly concerned about the welfare of its youth and older citizens, it would do something more than putting up signs about an unenforced 2000 THB fine. When the youth of a nation sees that laws prohibiting any act or use of a deadly (albeit legal) substance are not enforced, they will learn not to respect any other law...Especially when they come to know that the people making those laws are also making a profit from the selling of those products which are conveniently kept legal.

don't forget Chang and Sang-som

don't forget Chang and Sang-som

Or Lao-Kaow in M150 (M roi haa sip) bottles.

Decriminalize it and place it at the same level as booze-look for the reasons(drug abuse)-provide education-play a role model- give chances/future/goals.....I think the problem could be solved-Worldwide. But as long you are groing up in the knowledge that your best chance in life is a10 ooo baht job and see the so called hiso acting like crazy and you se those kind of things in almost every media??? Come on guys...I presume that many of the TV members I see in the local mom and pop shops/ bars and other drinking establishments are well shouting about the drug abuse of the youngsters and just interrupt theyr bashing to order beer # 10....just a thought

why not put a 5 min interview with addics before the screening of every movie ? maybe then the youth might wake up from their stupidities with taking drugs and what it can do to you, your brain, your family, your friends...

they would not even have to stand up, if you know what i mean

I've had occasion to be in the slums of Klong Toei a few times. Each time I have been there in broad daylight, I have openly observed children younger than 9 years old abusing inhalants of some sort. They sit there inhaling the fumes openly, even right next to a school. It's shocking to see, yet nobody seems to care in that environment. It's like stepping into an alternate universe. Truly disturbing .....

I have seen the same in London and not by people from former colonies. But English Government keeps this hush up.. England has to learn from Thailand

took the dog out for a walk the other day and went past some properties that are rented out. There were some new folks sat outside one of them, the man looked well dodgy as did the wife. A small boy aged 18 months at most comes out holding a cigarette, holds it up to Dad who then holds out a lighter and lights it up, the toddler having a couple of puffs, before Dad takes it off him has a puff then hands it back to the toddler who has another puff. Both mother and father smiling as if little Johnny has just won his first annual school race. I stopped dead in my tracks, steam coming out my ears as my wife tugged my arm and said leave it there is nothing you can do except start a fight !!

That child is exactly the type of child who will be abusing solvents and yabba before he is 10. Grrrrrrrr! mad.gif

took the dog out for a walk the other day and went past some properties that are rented out. There were some new folks sat outside one of them, the man looked well dodgy as did the wife. A small boy aged 18 months at most comes out holding a cigarette, holds it up to Dad who then holds out a lighter and lights it up, the toddler having a couple of puffs, before Dad takes it off him has a puff then hands it back to the toddler who has another puff. Both mother and father smiling as if little Johnny has just won his first annual school race. I stopped dead in my tracks, steam coming out my ears as my wife tugged my arm and said leave it there is nothing you can do except start a fight !!

That child is exactly the type of child who will be abusing solvents and yabba before he is 10. Grrrrrrrr! mad.gif

Sadly I have seen young children been given beer to drink.sad.pngsick.gif

Yes it is sad. The one thing I picked out was

"government rehabilitation scheme" scheme about says it all.

I personally know two recovered addicts with a proven record of clean time who tried to help out at a Government treatment center here in the Chiang Mai area. They finally gave up as their information and process was not needed the Government knew better. That was a few years back. The center is still turning out drug abusers now they are in better physical shape. Ready for a long run.sad.png

Edited by hellodolly

mmmm

why not put a 5 min interview with addics before the screening of every movie ? maybe then the youth might wake up from their stupidities with taking drugs and what it can do to you, your brain, your family, your friends...

they would not even have to stand up, if you know what i mean

They should be made to watch it.

Say now here is a idea load it up on all the pads they are going to b giving to all the students and make it required viewing every day. Even in the schools with out electricity or schools with teachers that don't know how to turn them on.

Who really cares beyond demonstrating a decent mention of caring? Certainly not the ones who breed without any knowledge of the circumstances that their actions will bring about and dump into the lap of society.

IMO, this article is about using a child (again) to elicit knee-jerk sympathy for something that should not be happening, but does. It is, in my opinion, because of the lack of respect towards the serious nature of bring a life into existence. Sexual gratification is more important to Thais than the life that Sex brings into being. Regrettably, this culture is designed to accommodate excessive life forms with a "Karma" mentality. "It is meant to be", "That is the way it is, and we must accept it" are a few of the many, cheap excuses uttered to avoid any developed forethought. What this culture lacks is to teach one to have the courage to stand up for one's self and execute strong self-discipline and self-respect towards one's personal behavior. That life is sacred is an accepted fact, and encouraged by religious ideals worldwide. But when to draw the line at a plague of births to those who are not suitable candidates for child-rearing; that is the question?

We will eventually approach a time when the question of "the right to procreate" will demand consideration when doing so adds just enough more people so that the scales of sustainable resources begins to tip towards the inability to provide. The burden on society is already overtaxing government and non-government resources. The greed of these institutions makes it only worse. it will not be long before the "village" begins crying to the village chiefs that enough is enough, and people will have to face their religious beliefs in view of having enough resources to sustain their own existence and to be safe from the harm because future criminals and dependents are being groomed by these governments and non government institutions.

That the governments are fighting for the right to rear your children and condoning your apathy, irresponsibility and utter ignorance is clear to me. In the USA they take them from you. Here in Thailand, the fight is not much of a fight at all. There is no resistance. There are more than enough kids to overcrowd government "puppy mills" simply because the parents are more than anxious to shirk their responsibility so they can go on behaving like children without owing anyone anything.

mmmm

mmmm what?

No respect for the Thai children at all.

I agree.

Get a grip dude !

My question is still not answered, hence I will not jump to conclusions, despite the dude who spewed his trollish remark under an assumption.wink.png

What question would you like answered please ?

i will be glad to articulate.

Just please make it a question, not a book.

mmmm

mmmm what?

it's an interesting story.

mmmm

mmmm what?

it's an interesting story.

I find it more terribly tragic than interesting to be honest. I like to remember interesting things and despite trying I can't get this tale of woe out of my head.

• Like 1

No respect for the Thai children at all.

I agree.

Get a grip dude !

My question is still not answered, hence I will not jump to conclusions, despite the dude who spewed his trollish remark under an assumption.wink.png

Still waiting dude.....................