Substitute For Cod (Fish)

george

Personally I disagree with all the palm oil haters. I think if it's fresh it's fine. I think most peoples dislike of it comes from eating something fried in old oil which has all sorts of different old flavours in it. Try frying some french fries in it. It has a low boiling point so less oil enters the fries.

Is not about to be fan or to hate palm oil... is about health.

Palm oil is dangerous because have a very hi contents of satured fats conteining about 60% of palmitic acid, one of the 3 most dangerous fats in nature for human health.

Unfortunately palm oil is a very cheap fat, so that actually it is everywhere because the alimentary industries prefere to use it as first for it cost, and second because is a very good preservative in the food is used.

This oil is solid when not warm, being very good in bakery industry for cheap products. Just read the labels...

Being very full of trans acid fat it is also very dangerous for cholesterol, a lot more than other fats.

And we are talking about fresh plam oil... no one dare to make a count on thai used and reused palm oil...

this is why we don't like palm oil...

wai.gif

Edited by Ciocco

Personally I disagree with all the palm oil haters. I think if it's fresh it's fine. I think most peoples dislike of it comes from eating something fried in old oil which has all sorts of different old flavours in it. Try frying some french fries in it. It has a low boiling point so less oil enters the fries.

Each to their own, but it's the taste of palm oil that I dislike, even when new. Oils like corn oil have very little taste so are prefered by many where as oils like groundnut and olive and fats like lard and dripping give the food a nice extra flavour due to the nice flavour of the oil/fat. Get a bit of bread and taste some palm oil the same way you'd try olive oils sick.gif. Anything, even when fried properly will still take on some of the flavour of the oil. If money was no option then personally a well filtered olive oil would be my choice for fish - great flavour and a high smoke point, just a shame it's so expensive

Not sure what you mean by low boiling point? When oil boils, it smokes (as in the smoke point) so the higher the better when frying. A low boiling point (smoke point) is a bad thing. But palm oil does have a high smoke point when clean and that (and the price) is why it's used so much.

the only two options cost wise for a restaurant are refined palm or soy bean i find soy bean tastes bloody awful for deep frying so we use palm but for shallow frying stir fry etc we use soy bean.

palm is lower in cholesterol than soy not sure about the other issues with either oils such as trans fats saturated fats etc

would love to use rice bran oil but for a rice producing country it bloody expensive here

Palm oil is dangerous because have a very hi contents of satured fats conteining about 60% of palmitica acis, one of the 3 most dangerous fats in nature for human health.

Unfortunately palm oil is a very cheap fat, so that actually it is everywhere because the alimentary industries prefere to use it as first for it cost, and second because is a very good preservative in the food is used.

This oil is solid when not warm, being vert good in bakery industry...

Being very full of trans acid fat it is very dangerous for cholesterol, a lot more than other fats.

And we are talking about fresh plam oil... no one dare to make a count on thai used and reused palm oil...

wai.gif

i believe there is a difference between refined and unrefined as i have only seen refined here and that is what we use and most other restaurants to, refined is liquid when cold and unrefined is the solid stuff

Palm oil is dangerous because have a very hi contents of satured fats conteining about 60% of palmitica acis, one of the 3 most dangerous fats in nature for human health.

This oil is solid when not warm, being vert good in bakery industry...

Being very full of trans acid fat it is very dangerous for cholesterol, a lot more than other fats.

wai.gif

i believe there is a difference between refined and unrefined as i have only seen refined here and that is what we use and most other restaurants to, refined is liquid when cold and unrefined is the solid stuff

Yes, it is true.

But unfortunately the difference is not good...

Refinig palm oil is a process who take out some defects from the oil, but also take out a lot more of the low benefits it contain (vitamin A as first).

Refined palm oil is just more easy to use because easy to be frazioned and also loose all the smells and taste defects (this are the defects...).

But is not better than not refined one... not at all... expecially because the refining process take out all the unsaponifiable fraction who contain in nature.

Palm oil is the largest produced vegetable oil after soya, and the interests around this business are huge... but is not the better one to be used in food industry or daily uses...

Believe me, am not enemy of modern technologies, am scared about what economic interests can do around health... and palm oil is one of this large matters...

Just this,

wai.gif

i have found a couple of fish suppliers who have cobbia i wonder what price it fetches here,as i can recall an under cover team in the uk.found that take aways with fish&chips on the menu were useing this fish as cod[known as cobba] no one knew the diff.

like i said i have had customers mistake it for cod (we do not advertise as cod) its is a fairly cheap fish its available fresh and frozen in makro not sure on the the kilo price

thanks for that dazk we are off to makro tomorrow.

makro in korat mai me,no have,when is next delivery ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmwink.png

i have found a couple of fish suppliers who have cobbia i wonder what price it fetches here,as i can recall an under cover team in the uk.found that take aways with fish&chips on the menu were useing this fish as cod[known as cobba] no one knew the diff.

like i said i have had customers mistake it for cod (we do not advertise as cod) its is a fairly cheap fish its available fresh and frozen in makro not sure on the the kilo price

thanks for that dazk we are off to makro tomorrow.

makro in korat mai me,no have,when is next delivery ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmwink.png

so i bought some grouper fillets if you can call fillets[3in-9in] no wonder fish stocks are low,i deep fried 2 small fil.and one about 9in.the 2small ones were ok but the other one was like rubber,where did i go wrong or are these farmed <deleted>.

to be honest ive found red talapia to be nice, blah nin, we have a pond behind the pig stys,

i just catch a couple fillit them put salt and lemon on the fillits, then bread crumb or batter from big c, beautiful, cut into pieces stips for the kids fish fingers,,lol,

it is nice, jake

to be honest ive found red talapia to be nice, blah nin, we have a pond behind the pig stys,

i just catch a couple fillit them put salt and lemon on the fillits, then bread crumb or batter from big c, beautiful, cut into pieces stips for the kids fish fingers,,lol,

it is nice, jake

thanks for that jake,what put me off red fish was we bought some off a van that comes arround oh they tasted like mud bloody awfull i will try your suggestion.

The grouper fillets i buy are about 4-5 kilo and the size of your arm. (Bought at Nakglua fish market)I then slice them on the bias to proper size and voila. Zee perfect fried feesh. . Are you pan frying, deep frying or sauteing? This would help to determine which oil. In a saute clarified butter with some vegetable oil to raise the smoke point is nice and tends to add a bit more color to the product. In a pan fry a pomace blend might be nice if your going with the Medditeranean thing. Add sesame oil blended with a high smoke point oil like peanut for Asian stir fry. For a deep fry canola works well and is quite stable so will last a couple of days under heavy use. For a crunchier fish in chip try rice flour or add clarified water to the batter.

Remember grouper always has a bit of a smell even when fresh off the boat but disappears when cooked.

Bone upa tit!

it is nice, jake

Bla Nin is good stuff.

there is red blh nin and black blh nin, there is more meat on the red,

when i catch them i put them in a barrel of water for a couple of days to flush them, my in laws dont they just eat them, but ive found putting the sea salt on them and the lemon they taist just like sea fish,

thats what ive found anyway, look in the market for the most bright eyes when you buy them and sometimes they have them alive,

jake

• 1 month later...

john dory is mekong catfish

john dory is a flat fish and nowhere near cod

What they call Dory here is catfish, but John Dory is not catfish. Maybe some bad restaurants add the word John to it, a bit like they call a Tubtim a Red snapper, but in the shops its just Dory.

Also a really John Dory isn't a flatfish, it's a fish that is a little flat. There's a big difference. Anyone whose ever filleted a flatfish can tell you that. Not like cod, no. But closer to cod than a flatfish.

I'm not sure what it's called but there is a fish that I consider better than cod which I always buy from my local thai shop.. it's a pretty big pink fish.. fried with garlic, oyster sauce and stock its amazing.

I'll ask my boyfriend for the thai name for it so I can tell you that at least later smile.png

George, Villa supermarkets are best avoided, ie tinned corned beef, not sure of the make 328 Baht, Foodland, John West, same size tin 180 Baht. I do not believe there is better corned beef than John West.

I'm not sure what it's called but there is a fish that I consider better than cod which I always buy from my local thai shop.. it's a pretty big pink fish.. fried with garlic, oyster sauce and stock its amazing.

I'll ask my boyfriend for the thai name for it so I can tell you that at least later smile.png

George, Villa supermarkets are best avoided, ie tinned corned beef, not sure of the make 328 Baht, Foodland, John West, same size tin 180 Baht. I do not believe there is better corned beef than John West.

Whoa. You'd better try (kosher, or any non-tinned) fresh corned beef someday... you'll definitely change your mind.

cool.png