Teacher Looking For Work In Bangkok.

Jarvisno1

Where did you move from?

Try ajarn.com or ajarnjobspace.com

Qualifications, area of Bangkok, age groups of students you want to teach, previous experience, many things that you should be posting in order to get some decent responses or even offers.

Edited by beano2274

You could get work but you are going to be treated as a non-native speaker. This will mean a lower salary.

http://www.avaaz.org...ngli_1/?cZBNrbb

are you for real or just looking trolling for comments?

Just pointing out the facts

The only thing you are pointing out, is a load of crap!

you saying the info in the link is incorrect??

Greetings;

There are many ways to look for a teaching job here in Bangkok and throughout Thailand.

What you will need:

1. 1. A University degree from an accredited university with a degree in English or Education with a teacher certification. Or any four year degree in most any fields will suffice.
  2. 2. If you don’t have a university degree, you might get a teaching certification such as a TEFL or a CELTA if you just want to get your foot in the door. Most schools don’t make it absolutely necessary for you to have a degree, but they quality of your work and the feedback they get from the parents.

One is a website called Ajarn.com which has multiple listings from schools and agencies here in Thailand.

Teacher placement agencies here in Bangkok don’t really care if you are from Ireland or some other country that has a funny accent.

Or if you like to work in a particular area of Bangkok, you can always do an Google map search on that area and see if there are any schools in that area. Write down the names of the school and their exact location and go pay them a visit. Be reminded, they might already be under contract through an agency and you might get referred to them or they may interview you for the position if the agency they deal with hasn’t been forthcoming with good teachers. I’ve done this quite a bit and found it to be quite rewarding.

Post an ad on craigslist.com or view their teaching advertisements. But be warned, there are some agencies on there that are scams and will rip you off.

Overall, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

There are clearly a lot of desperadoes in Western countries at the moment. I pity any teacher coming to Bangkok "to look for work". Surely you get the job first from your own country (including a short interview trip to Thailand, if necessary) and THEN you move over to Bangkok? I would not want to be here unemployed. Secondly, salaries for even well-qualified teachers are extremely low in Bangkok. I know two teachers, one of whom is highly qualified, who is living in an apartment that frankly would be classified as a garden shed in the West, since he can't afford anything better. This garden shed has air conditioning, but he cannot afford to run it. He cannot afford to eat anything but insanitary street food in Bangkok, and I am seeing his appearance and health condition decline every month. Thirdly, I pity anyone who has to teach <snip> Thai kids. You'll need a lot of patience and a lot of tolerance for repetition, repetition, repetition. Rote learning is the only thing that works here. You can forget about asking Thais to think creatively. Simply asking them to do that will result in puzzled expressions and silence all round.

Edited by soundman
Overly negative Thai.

There are clearly a lot of desperadoes in Western countries at the moment. I pity any teacher coming to Bangkok "to look for work". Surely you get the job first from your own country (including a short interview trip to Thailand, if necessary) and THEN you move over to Bangkok? I would not want to be here unemployed. Secondly, salaries for even well-qualified teachers are extremely low in Bangkok. I know two teachers, one of whom is highly qualified, who is living in an apartment that frankly would be classified as a garden shed in the West, since he can't afford anything better. This garden shed has air conditioning, but he cannot afford to run it. He cannot afford to eat anything but insanitary street food in Bangkok, and I am seeing his appearance and health condition decline every month. Thirdly, I pity anyone who has to teach Thai kids. You'll need a lot of patience and a lot of tolerance for repetition, repetition, repetition. Rote learning is the only thing that works here. You can forget about asking Thais to think creatively. Simply asking them to do that will result in puzzled expressions and silence all round.
Plenty of teachers in the big International schools on 100k a month (not all are living on the 40k salaries that are paid to "pretend teachers"), 100k is more than enough to live a decent life here, it would seem your friend needs to look for better paid work, if you're properly qualified from the West then you can find work easily enough from here. Edited by bangkoksimon

There are clearly a lot of desperadoes in Western countries at the moment. I pity any teacher coming to Bangkok "to look for work". Surely you get the job first from your own country (including a short interview trip to Thailand, if necessary) and THEN you move over to Bangkok? I would not want to be here unemployed. Secondly, salaries for even well-qualified teachers are extremely low in Bangkok. I know two teachers, one of whom is highly qualified, who is living in an apartment that frankly would be classified as a garden shed in the West, since he can't afford anything better. This garden shed has air conditioning, but he cannot afford to run it. He cannot afford to eat anything but insanitary street food in Bangkok, and I am seeing his appearance and health condition decline every month. Thirdly, I pity anyone who has to teach Thai kids. You'll need a lot of patience and a lot of tolerance for repetition, repetition, repetition. Rote learning is the only thing that works here. You can forget about asking Thais to think creatively. Simply asking them to do that will result in puzzled expressions and silence all round.
Plenty of teachers in the big International schools on 100k a month (not all are living on the 40k salaries that are paid to "pretend teachers"), 100k is more than enough to live a decent life here, it would seem your friend needs to look for better paid work, if you're properly qualified from the West then you can find work easily enough from here.

Agreed.

Have a mate who teaches at Uni. Earns about 1-150k a month depending on hours.

Teaching at thai schools is for the birds whistling.gif

RAZZ

Plenty of teachers in the big International schools on 100k a month (not all are living on the 40k salaries that are paid to "pretend teachers"), 100k is more than enough to live a decent life here, it would seem your friend needs to look for better paid work, if you're properly qualified from the West then you can find work easily enough from here.

wow nice is so nice to hear from a person who has his head so far up his own arse it is unreal! Quote (not all are living on the 40k salaries that are paid to "pretend teachers) Your grammar is spot on, I really do hope that everyone bows down to you! and not to a pretend teacher, who may earn 40K per month