The Future Of Luuk Kreungs?

Ted

Sitting in my office yesterday in Singapore I noted that out of a staff size of 70, 5 of which are mixed, or Eurasians whichever term you want to use. Generations of mixing the gene pool has occurred here, particularly between Europeans and the Chinese or Malays. So much so there is always a box to tick ‘Eurasian’ on forms where ethnicity is asked for.

There is a perception here in Singapore as in Thailand that Eurasians are better looking, and also as in Thailand there is probably a proportionally higher amount of models and TV celebrities from mixed heritage. Other than that Eurasians are rarely seen any different from the other races. Maybe he or she is part Caucasian part Chinese but a 100% Singaporean. Eurasians work side by side with their Chinese, Malay and Indian colleagues and are genuinely accepted.

So how about in Thailand? Would it be fair to say that Thais harbour a sense of fascination for Leuk Kreongs? Maybe a mixture of exoticness yet still retaining Thai characteristics? Over the last decade there has been a huge increase in the number of Thai / Farang - relationships and I think we can safely say a decade or two from now the numbers of citizens from mixed heritage in Thailand will have grown phenomenally.

How do you think the increase of Luuk Kreungs will effect their perception in Thai society in the future? Could Luuk Kreungs find negativity towards them in the future? Will they be so accepted in soceity as to hold senior government posts? Many Thai Visa members here have Luuk Kreong kids - I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Sitting in my office yesterday in Singapore I noted that out of a staff size of 70, 5 of which are mixed, or Eurasians whichever term you want to use. Generations of mixing the gene pool has occurred here, particularly between Europeans and the Chinese or Malays. So much so there is always a box to tick ‘Eurasian’ on forms where ethnicity is asked for.

There is a perception here in Singapore as in Thailand that Eurasians are better looking, and also as in Thailand there is probably a proportionally higher amount of models and TV celebrities from mixed heritage. Other than that Eurasians are rarely seen any different from the other races. Maybe he or she is part Caucasian part Chinese but a 100% Singaporean. Eurasians work side by side with their Chinese, Malay and Indian colleagues and are genuinely accepted.

So how about in Thailand? Would it be fair to say that Thais harbour a sense of fascination for Leuk Kreongs? Maybe a mixture of exoticness yet still retaining Thai characteristics? Over the last decade there has been a huge increase in the number of Thai / Farang - relationships and I think we can safely say a decade or two from now the numbers of citizens from mixed heritage in Thailand will have grown phenomenally.

How do you think the increase of Luuk Kreungs will effect their perception in Thai society in the future? Could Luuk Kreungs find negativity towards them in the future? Will they be so accepted in soceity as to hold senior government posts? Many Thai Visa members here have Luuk Kreong kids - I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

I would think as the numbers increase then the fascination would diminish and they would be treated the same as anyone else.

The difference between a mixed race child and single race children is that the mixed child maybe better educated, There are features of the mixed race children that makes for appeal as models, actors etc...

As for senior Government posts, I believe that the person must be a Thai national to be able to hold such positions...I know this is true for becoming a Member of the Thai Parliament.

I would think as the numbers increase then the fascination would diminish and they would be treated the same as anyone else.

The difference between a mixed race child and single race children is that the mixed child maybe better educated, There are features of the mixed race children that makes for appeal as models, actors etc...

As for senior Government posts, I believe that the person must be a Thai national to be able to hold such positions...I know this is true for becoming a Member of the Thai Parliament.

The fascination quickly wares off. In Bangkok, people don't even raise an eyebrown any more. There are many mixed children who are not models or actors, leading quite normal lives with no ill will towards them. I mean why should there be?

As for MP's, well, Senator Meechai (Mr Cabbages and Condoms) is half Scottish. There have been other notable ethnic minorites reaching high levels of Thai government including a recently retired (3 years ago) Indian-Thai Supreme court judge.

We are trying our best to raise the IQ of the country

So when do you leave??

:D

Patrick

Patrick, I really liked that remark, couldn't have done it better myself :o

I would like to think that cross breading with different races would breed a stronger smarter healthier and more resistant to disease type of human as they would be getting the genes from both races. Most people agree that some races are more athletic than some so I find it believable that some races are smarter than others. Not that I am any type of scientist but like to think our kids got the best of both our gene pools

so you think, you couldn`t find the "Pol Pot"-thinking of a clear genetic pool ?

(on another forum) you will find postings, like this one,

When I am in Thailand, nobody really thinks that I look somewhat Thai either. Sometimes when we go out, people will ask my mom what kind of farang I am (people have asked if I was French, Australian,etc.) right in front of me! On one instance, me and a whole bunch of my Thai family were getting on one of those Thai taxi/buses, and the driver told my mom that he wanted us to pay more money for getting on because they had a farang with them (me)! My sister got on without being noticed because people say that she looks more Thai. Things like that really hurt.
Edited by cdnvic

... Not that I am any type of scientist but like to think our kids got the best of both our gene pools

I'll have to hand it to you Rigger; as an Aussie you're definately an optimist :D

Well cross breeding in animals can produce the same things I mentioned so I don’t see that we would be much different

As for being a optimist I guess I am since when I was in Oz my beer was always half empty but since living in LOS my beer is always full :o

... Not that I am any type of scientist but like to think our kids got the best of both our gene pools

I'll have to hand it to you Rigger; as an Aussie you're definately an optimist :D

Well cross breeding in animals can produce the same things I mentioned so I don’t see that we would be much different

As for being a optimist I guess I am since when I was in Oz my beer was always half empty but since living in LOS my beer is always full :D

Cheers mate :D And may our off spring drink forever happy :o

People in my village take a lot more notice of my son mostly due to the lighter skin, no doubt to the impact of the Thai soap stars (and the ad's that run between them!)

He actually doesn't like it, everyone (well woman) cannot resist touching him. But there is absolutely no animosity towards him. In fact in 6 years of being here I have only encountered one negative comment about cross breeding, but he wasn't worth the time of day.

As for the future, who knows but if I know Thais like I think I do then they will only have love and respect for the Luk Krueng the same as they would for any nationality.

They are way above dropping down to a racist level.

Farangs of the world take note!

As for being a optimist I guess I am since when I was in Oz my beer was always half empty but since living in LOS my beer is always full :o

There was a study here in the States a long time ago that found that mixed race kids were significantly smarter. I have the suspicion that part of the explanation is that smarter people were more likely to marry out of their race back then. But I still do think there is something to the belief that mixed genetics are generally positive. I know I've tried to mix genes a lot, although the other gene suppliers haven't always been willing.

So when do you leave??

Patrick

Seconded :D

I would thirded but it would be considered "lynching". Oh H_LL Lynch'em he deserved it :D .

There was a study here in the States a long time ago that found that mixed race kids were significantly smarter. I have the suspicion that part of the explanation is that smarter people were more likely to marry out of their race back then. But I still do think there is something to the belief that mixed genetics are generally positive. I know I've tried to mix genes a lot, although the other gene suppliers haven't always been willing.

With statements like this, do you really wonder why Thai men don’t want farangs in Thailand?

And if you really think this is true, check out the leuk-kreung in countries like Vietnam. They’re typically poor and living in villages.

And while some leuk-kreung may do well, they probably had fathers who were stationed here for good positions in the military. My guess is that the Caucasian sex tourists living here (not all caucasians of course) probably don't offer the best genes of their race.

With statements like this, do you really wonder why Thai men don’t want farangs in Thailand?

And if you really think this is true, check out the leuk-kreung in countries like Vietnam. They’re typically poor and living in villages.

And while some leuk-kreung may do well, they probably had fathers who were stationed here for good positions in the military. My guess is that the Caucasian sex tourists living here (not all caucasians of course) probably don't offer the best genes of their race.

I have never heard a Thai bloke say he doesn’t want farangs blokes here

Being ex military my self I don’t see that being a big plus when it comes to the gene pool and most sex tourist don’t have kids in Thailand and not that I think it would make much different. And since when has being rich made you smarter than anyone else

Edited by Rigger

My comment on mixed kids being better educated was not because of genes or any biological or race issue....purely on the fact that a Farang/Thai family is more likely to be able to afford a better education than a lot of Thai/Thai families.

To the poster who commented that an MP is half Scottish.....sure that is fine but he still has to be a Thai National....If you read job ads in the papers it will often state that an applicant must be a Thai National....this is because under law these jobs can only be filled by a Thai Person. doesnt matter if the persons father is English or what.

One can read the word "education" in two ways!! Be carefull.

I can see it now.....mixed race kids with a bit of Aussie in them, wearing King Gee shorts with a blue singlet and thongs, hanging around the pub all day, huge beer bellies, munching on meat pies with tomato sauce dripping down their chin, getting into two up games, shagging sheilas, chundering on every street corner, saying, "She'll be right, mate" instead of 'Mai Pen Rai', saying "G'day mate" to their elders instead of waiing, driving FJ Holdens instead of baht buses, belching and farting as they walk down the soi.

Bring it on...we need a bit of Aussie in us all. It's called "culture." :o

I can see it now.....mixed race kids with a bit of Aussie in them, wearing King Gee shorts with a blue singlet and thongs, hanging around the pub all day, huge beer bellies, munching on meat pies with tomato sauce dripping down their chin, getting into two up games, shagging sheilas, chundering on every street corner, saying, "She'll be right, mate" instead of 'Mai Pen Rai', saying "G'day mate" to their elders instead of waiing, driving FJ Holdens instead of baht buses, belching and farting as they walk down the soi.

Bring it on...we need a bit of Aussie in us all. It's called "culture." :o

Was half way through reading that before I realised that was your sense of humour again Mighty Mouse! :D

You bring up Vietnam here - I think the difference in Vietnam is that the Vietnamese 'Luuk Kreungs' are recognized as being the offspring of the defeated US Military and are hence pretty much confined to a harsh life.

As to the offspring of Caucasian sex tourists can you imagine what some of those neigbourhoods around the bar scene are going to be like in 10 to 20 years time when the offspring from some of those relationships are teenagers! Can we expect furthur in the future a similar situation as the Philippines when many mixed offspring from these relationships have followed their mothers into the worlds oldest profession?

To the poster who commented that an MP is half Scottish.....sure that is fine but he still has to be a Thai National....If you read job ads in the papers it will often state that an applicant must be a Thai National....this is because under law these jobs can only be filled by a Thai Person. doesnt matter if the persons father is English or what.

Well I doubt that there is any country in the world which would let you run for parliament without being a national of that country. My comment was directed at the original question, and my answer is no, being a luuk-krung or any other ethnic minority doesn't seem to been a significant hinderance (though lack of education and money would seem to be!)

Australia actually requires all MP's not only to be Australian citizens, but also to renounce any other citizenships they already have. The Australian public service is only open to Australian citizens, or those with PR and who have already applied for naturalisation. There are many positions in fact (eg diplomatic) where being a dual national is forbidden.

Can we expect furthur in the future a similar situation as the Philippines when many mixed offspring from these relationships have followed their mothers into the worlds oldest profession?

In many cases, the future is already here. And that's not talking about the bar ghettos.

The "creme of the crop" that make it to the the local film, tv, and music industry, often find themselves in work conditions with relatively (to what most would expect in an "elite" type career) low pay and a new crop ready and itchin' to replace them each year. Soap opera pay is often as low as 10,000 Baht an episode (better pay on avg. nationwide, but with virtually no security... which all too often is a formula for getting these kids used to living on 50-100k a month and then all of a sudden finding themselves with no pay or savings). The formula for music is well known to be 'good looks first, talent later." It's a meat grinder just like the entertainment industry in a lot of places in the world.

:o

Point taken. The way I had originally wrote the sentence was "Being from Los Angeles, there's much more opportunity to date different races. I know I've tried to mix genes......" But it was getting to be a long response. I was commenting more on the benefit of mixed genes, not specific to Thailand. And I have dated a few different ethnic/cultural backgrounds over here.

Here in the States, a large percentage of people are mixed, and it's common to see mixed kids who are much smarter than their parents. Or mixed kids who are much more attractive than their parents were when younger. This is independent of what happens economically, since social factors can affect that greatly.

I believe Luuk Krungs could have a big effect on the future of Thailand and the preception of 'Thainess'.

I believe the proliferation of Luuk Krungs in the media and the way half western/thai kids are considered as positive is a very good thing.

It teaches Thais that the so-called Thai/Buddhist ideal is not the be-all and end-all.

Who knows, a gentle change in attitude may be enough to help the ethnic Malays eventually gain acceptance in the south of the country.

I don't think it is as big a leap of faith as many imagine.

So when do you leave??

Patrick

Seconded :D

I would thirded but it would be considered "lynching". Oh H_LL Lynch'em he deserved it :D .

Oh my, sensitive souls. I thirdeded it if there is no thirded one yet.

Yes, that comment even made me chuckle.

But underlying the cheap shot is the fact that you all realise that a little bit, preferably a lot, of hybrid vigour will do this place a bucket load of good.

I have 2 of these little buggers and as Leftcross mentioned, they might just have an effect on the future thainess of thailand. That is why I am doing my bit for king and country and raising them here in Los. Hopefully they will grow up better peole than back home. They have a head start with a few more cells to think with anyway. Go your hardest.