More Loi Kroh Clamp Downs To Be Enforced - Street Girls Cleared

Beetlejuice

Thai radio news announced and I have heard this from other sources, say that staff workers in the Loi Kroh Road bars must remain in the premises while working and not hang about outside or go walkies touting for customers. Plus there have apparently been complaints from monks in the nearby temples regarding the noise, music and karaoke from bars, saying that they are unable to sleep during the late hours due to the disturbances from the bars. Suddenly after all these years the authorities have decided that the bars are too near the temples. It is not yet certain what actions the police are going to take regarding the complaints, or is being kept a closely guarded secret for the time being.

3 nights ago, the police cleared away all the street girls that usually hang around the Taepae Gate area late at night touting for business. Since than, there has been a discrete police present in the area, there are even Tuk Tuk drivers that are police informers ready to report any guys street crawling as some of these girls are alleged to be minors (underage).

I only know what I have mentioned above and not prepared to discuss my source of information besides that this was mentioned on the Thai news. So there you have it folks, make of it what you will.

Perhaps some of you have more information? As I don`t know for sure.

Earplugs for the monks; that’s them sorted:

The noise; well there is literally more noise created from those racing tuks tuks than any rowdy pissed up girls and boys. They could restrict tuk tuks on this road if they wanted.

Doing business around Tapae…does that include the squid man, the sausage ball man..did the police clear them aswell?

Girls alleged to be minors; what about the “girls” purporting to be girls they are more a nuisance to bike riders.

It must be a slack news month, no tourists, nothing to report so lets sensationalise the same old, same old.

Forget it, nothing will ever come of this.

wonder when kerb crawling will come into Thai vocabulary

• Like 2

The noise; well there is literally more noise created from those racing tuks tuks than any rowdy pissed up girls and boys. They could restrict tuk tuks on this road if they wanted.

Doing business around Tapae…does that include the squid man, the sausage ball man..did the police clear them aswell?

Girls alleged to be minors; what about the “girls” purporting to be girls they are more a nuisance to bike riders.

It must be a slack news month, no tourists, nothing to report so lets sensationalise the same old, same old.

Forget it, nothing will ever come of this.

Like it clap2.gif

• Like 1

When I came to CM back in 2001, we had the crackdown by Purachi the Minister of the Interior.

The girls where ordered to dress more modestly and stay inside the bars and not be Active on the street.

The 'Tale' doing the rounds in Johns Bar was that there was to be no girly bars or Go Go inside the Old City Moat area.

Johns Place lost his Go Go bar.

It was also said that Adult nightlife was to be moved down to Chiang Mai Land.

john

Or just move the temples, or do a monk-exchange program to swap them to other temples; it's not like there's a temple shortage in town. wink.png

Has been there for a long time.. Think Bangkok in the Phetburi Rd area or Sanam Luang, even two decades ago. But I'm not a huge fan of the practice.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Monks complaining about losing sleep. Kind of ironic considering the groans in our village when the <Snip!> turn on the speakers in the temple at 4am.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

I don't live near a temple but I remember traveling in Indonesia and having the Mosque's turn there's on early in the morning.

Moving to a foreign country and complaining about the indigenous religion being too loud is the height of arrogance.

The only people complaining are the monks.

Monks complaining about losing sleep. Kind of ironic considering the groans in our village when the <Snip!> turn on the speakers in the temple at 4am.

I don't live near a temple but I remember traveling in Indonesia and having the Mosque's turn there's on early in the morning.

Moving to a foreign country and complaining about the indigenous religion being too loud is the height of arrogance.

++1

Islam indigenous ? no..... arrogant ? yes .... Some wat are noisy others less so but the drone of unamplified morning chanting and the soft mong mong mong I find soothing.

Monks complaining about losing sleep. Kind of ironic considering the groans in our village when the turn on the speakers in the temple at 4am.

I didn't complain it was the local Thais complaining about the noise at 4am from the nearby wat. Are they arrogant? How about the ones who stopped giving alms because they felt so strongly at being woken up? Are they arrogant?

No the ones that are arrogant are the ******* who equate Buddhism with whoring on Loh Koh Road.

Edited by onthedarkside
insults removed
  • Like 1

From recollection Mohamed was an Arab warlord not an Indonesian. As such Islam is hardly indigenous to Indonesia, it is imported (like Christianity to the Philippines), whatsmore Asian Muslims are regarded as 2nd class Muslims by their beloved Arab betters. Also Indonesia is now predominantly Islam not entirely, so I am a total loss at what point you were trying to make about the arrogance of complaining about a non-indiginous religions' 4 am speakers?

So are the gay areas also being hassled like the heteros, if not then this is obvious discrimination. May need to organise a Hetero Pride march in Chiang Mai although may be a limited turnout.

• Like 1

No the ones that are arrogant are the ****** who equate Buddhism with whoring on Loh Koh Road.

Nobody made that comparison. Someone just pointed out in a humorous way that the monks who were complaining about about late night noise from local bars themselves make noises while everyone else is sleeping. I don't think anyone was criticizing monks or Buddhism, and certainly not comparing prostitution to ordaining as a monk. My take is they were just joking, and not taking everything overly serious.

I've actually stayed in a Buddhist temple before, and I didn't take any offense at the comment. In fact I consider myself somewhat of a Buddhist or Hindu, according to my beliefs. I also think monks can take jokes. I hope so.

But, getting bent out of shape and losing one's temper is definitely against Thai culture, as is swearing at people and threatening them with expulsion from where they live.

On the other hand, walking down Loi Khroh the other day coming back from Phantip Plaze, I did think it a bit odd the proximity of bars to one of the larger temples there, and thought how tolerant the monks must be and Thai society in general. And I would imagine that the monks would indeed need their rest given the ungodly hours they get up at. Also, the particular sounds coming from the bars could be disruptive to them as they are not even allowed to touch women period, or drink alcohol. So, we wouldn't want to rub their noses in all of that.

As you know, women can't show their shoulders in a temple. So, for monks to go to sleep nightly to the sounds of bar girls and client cavorting might be a bit of an affront to them. Certainly Christians wouldn't put up with it. You just don't have places of prostitution on the front lawn of churches.

Ah well, I think no harm was intended, and the posters here aren't really &lt;deleted&gt;, but just making light humor.

• Like 1

Where I live I've never heard Monks on the amplified system,ever,in 5yrs. but the drunk Poo Yai Baan likes a rave occasionally but even he has the good form not start before 6.30/7.00am.

I think some of you people are in the wrong country.If it upsets your status quo it's shit,good luck.

• Like 2

With so many temples around town it's pretty much impossible to not be near one, as long as Chiang Mai gets tourists who would like to go for a drink at night. Bars and restaurants just need to be near(ish) to where hotels are. Hotels need to be near where there is stuff to see, which, ironically, includes temples. ;)

I am confused. I have read the article and all the posts so far and I find no mention of complaining abut a foreign religion.

Are you sure you are on the rite thread. This one is about the bars being so loud that the local monks are complaining. And (supposedly) the cops are going to do some thing about it.

• Like 1

To Original Poster

MY MY do you think being so rude is clever? He didn't complain. It really is possible to express yourself clearly in English without resorting to swearwords ( unless maybe you find that difficult). Learning to read and comprehend helps too

It has been my experience that when some people have a drink they get a little paranoid about losing their supply and lose track of reality.wai.gif

I mentioned earlier that I had not ever lived near a Wat. Do they really have amplifiers that they play at 4:00 in the morning?

I mentioned earlier that I had not ever lived near a Wat. Do they really have amplifiers that they play at 4:00 in the morning?

Occasionally, & it's VERY LOUD!!!!!!

Thank you for a honest answer.

But it's not so bad as the daily noise pollution. We don't get it where we live now, but the last house, the Wat was 500m away, & the windows shook.....

But, it was only once in a blue moon.