Night Life In Ubon Ratchathani

Commander Tamson

I'm a relative newcomer to permanent living in Thailand. I've had a Condo in Bangkok for about 5 years already, but it was only ever a weekend retreat. I have now moved in with my gf in Ubon and one of the things I really miss about Bangkok are the variety of good night clubs. Ubon, it seems to me, has only one, very bad, night club: MIX. A mediocore DJ, who plays his own very mediocore mixes for about 20 minutes and is preceded/followed by an hour or more of very bad Thai bands and then comes on again for another 20 mins. It's actually a coyote bar more than a night club. I understand it opens until 4am, although I've never lasted that long. There is one other bar in town - The U-Bar, which follows the same format as MIX, but without the coyotes - it seems to be very popular with the locals, but the only people I ever see cheering the bands are the small groups of their friends.

What is wrong with the people of Ubon? It's pathetic! The bands, generally speaking, can be likened to cats on heat. Do the Ubonese not like to dance? Are they tone-deaf?

Or - and this is the reason for my query - am I missing something?

Don't get me wrong, I like everyday living in Ubon. I'd just like to find somewhere to party at the weekends.

Grateful for all and any suggestions

The Commander

• Like 1

Sorry we cannot adjust to your needs. There are a few places in Ubon but you should really ask here before slagging the place off. You want Bangkok stuff, then stay in Bangkok. rolleyes.gif

Very touchy first reply - don't recall slagging anybody off though. And I am asking

• Like 2

Sorry we cannot adjust to your needs. There are a few places in Ubon but you should really ask here before slagging the place off. You want Bangkok stuff, then stay in Bangkok. rolleyes.gif

Very touchy first reply - don't recall slagging anybody off though. And I am asking

Read your post again.

Why not ask again where you can have a knee's up. thumbsup.gif

Read your post again.

Why not ask again where you can have a knee's up. thumbsup.gif

I stand corrected. My apologies for 'slagging off' the format and quality of Ubon night spots. Anybody know where I can have a good knees up in Ubon?

I read this site with amusement. Commander Tamsom must be in his early 20s and his girlfriend too, to frequent U-Bar and MIX (be careful at MIX bombs have explored there in past years when it was called the CAVE). Seriously, there are dozens of night spots far better than MIX and U-bar. Places where one can dance, drink, relax and enjoy excellent music. Get your knees up so to speak. There are even the old fashion places where one can do the rock-can-rock, quick step- etc. with girls by the hour. But we are not going to tell you our Ubon secrets You have come on too strong.. You could lower the tone of the place. You are an outsider.

That's awe right then!

I went to see the Teddy Ska Band and at a shindig at U bar , It was rocking , the place went nuts , the youth went babanas . I heard about the gig from some scooter boys who had a gagage on the Det Udom Road , route 24 , at the University . The night of the gig I drove up the 60 kliks on my moped and drove around ubon trying to find the U bar . Well what can I say , enjoy yourself , Ubon is a small town with maybe a dozen or two young alien types who step out and dare to declare , we're through being cool .

I went to see the Teddy Ska Band and at a shindig at U bar , It was rocking , the place went nuts , the youth went babanas . I heard about the gig from some scooter boys who had a gagage on the Det Udom Road , route 24 , at the University . The night of the gig I drove up the 60 kliks on my moped and drove around ubon trying to find the U bar . Well what can I say , enjoy yourself , Ubon is a small town with maybe a dozen or two young alien types who step out and dare to declare , we're through being cool .

Edit - I'm an old codger .

• Like 1

Hey OnionLuke - you can't be that much of an old codger if you drove 60klicks to see the Teddy Ska Band. Wish I had known too. And yeah the U-Bar is not exactly central down town. I suppose I'll just have to find out Ubon's 'secrets' for myself and meanwhile maybe trek back to Bangkok once a month or so to party

Hey OnionLuke - you can't be that much of an old codger if you drove 60klicks to see the Teddy Ska Band. Wish I had known too. And yeah the U-Bar is not exactly central down town. I suppose I'll just have to find out Ubon's 'secrets' for myself and meanwhile maybe trek back to Bangkok once a month or so to party

It was a few years ago, 2008 sometime , dry season like . Kai Jo Brothers and another band with female vocalist and the house band . The scooter boys have moved since , Duck Services was the name of the shop , they must still be around there somewhere . Duck has a 1970 Lambretta Vega sitting in his shop .

Edit - Are you related to Jock Tamson ?

Edited by onionluke

If you like to listen to some farang music which is not blasting in your ears, on the Ubon Trakarn road behind the airport is a place called Green Palms. Have a older guy playing Eagles, John Denvor and a mix of 70s and 80s music. The food is good, the beer is cold and it won't break the bank. Its not down town though. Another place is The View. Good music and the scenery is quiet pleasant too.

• Like 2

If you like to listen to some farang music which is not blasting in your ears, on the Ubon Trakarn road behind the airport is a place called Green Palms. Have a older guy playing Eagles, John Denvor and a mix of 70s and 80s music. The food is good, the beer is cold and it won't break the bank. Its not down town though. Another place is The View. Good music and the scenery is quiet pleasant too.

I've been to the Green Palm and the guy entertaining was good. However I found the food so so, and the toilets were worse than most places I've been to. Not a place high on my list exept for the music! wink.png

Edit: Haven't been to the View for a long time, so that's on my list of places to revisit! smile.png

Edited by bergen

I've been to the Green Palm and the guy entertaining was good. However I found the food so so, and the toilets were worse than most places I've been to. Not a place high on my list exept for the music! wink.png

Edit: Haven't been to the View for a long time, so that's on my list of places to revisit! smile.png

Have to agree with you about the toilets...New place called FeeLing on Soi Nong Bua is different. Nothing like this in Ubon. Some people don't like it for that reason, but put it on yr list. Have dinning inside, outside and the usual karaoke rooms upstairs. Edited by AliasJohn

Thanks for all the inputs so far - better than I thought I would get after the first couple of replies.

I've been to FeeLing - quite good. But what I was really looking for was a dedicated night club /disco. The ROCK used to be okay, but I see it's now closed. OS was okay too, but again now closed - or maybe they are just undergoing refurbishment. Both seemed to attract the possibly underage - so mayhaps had problems with the local law.

It's good to eat late in any of Ubon's not-so-bad resturaunts/bars, but always nice to then move on to a club or disco - or is that just a falang/Bangkok/Pattaya thing here? Please don't reply saying F-off back to Bangkok then. I like Ubon - the airport suits my job and I like the people and the go-slow(er) attitude of the place.

We're aw Jock Tamson's bairns

Thanks for all the inputs so far - better than I thought I would get after the first couple of replies.

I've been to FeeLing - quite good. But what I was really looking for was a dedicated night club /disco. The ROCK used to be okay, but I see it's now closed. OS was okay too, but again now closed - or maybe they are just undergoing refurbishment. Both seemed to attract the possibly underage - so mayhaps had problems with the local law.

It's good to eat late in any of Ubon's not-so-bad resturaunts/bars, but always nice to then move on to a club or disco - or is that just a falang/Bangkok/Pattaya thing here? Please don't reply saying F-off back to Bangkok then. I like Ubon - the airport suits my job and I like the people and the go-slow(er) attitude of the place.

Glad you have changed your OP tune. smile.png

You might like to try the recently renovated Swing Party House. It close for sometime and now has a new look. I have not been there as yet so may have to do a recy run..

• 11 months later...

Wains! not bairns, cannae take you east-coasters anywhere (evidently).

I always enjoy LAO music & dancing, along with the majority of isaan people, paradise ubon has many good features mainly catering for the older , quieter living, sounds like you might be to young for this lifestyle which many of us prefer.

rgds songhklasid.cowboy.gifneus.gifcowboy.gif

Wains! not bairns, cannae take you east-coasters anywhere (evidently).

Wow! Big gap in any posts to that thread. What has me puzzled however is how he figured out I was an Easty-coasty.

As for night life in Ubon - I think Mix is probably the best (for what I want), but some of the Thai bands that play there - I'm sorry to say - are atrocious.

The U-bar and Ant (refurbished E-bar) can be fun, but again it's very hit & miss with regards to the bands and the DJ.

Paid a visit to the Rock (which has now reopened) a couple of Fridays ago. I think we were its only customers - didn't stay long.

Each to their own. Candle Festival on at the moment and that's cool.

I read this site with amusement. Commander Tamsom must be in his early 20s and his girlfriend too, to frequent U-Bar and MIX (be careful at MIX bombs have explored there in past years when it was called the CAVE). Seriously, there are dozens of night spots far better than MIX and U-bar. Places where one can dance, drink, relax and enjoy excellent music. Get your knees up so to speak. There are even the old fashion places where one can do the rock-can-rock, quick step- etc. with girls by the hour. But we are not going to tell you our Ubon secrets You have come on too strong.. You could lower the tone of the place. You are an outsider.

Why did you even bother to post this? Get over yourself. In fact i can say you aren't hiding any secrets because there isn't really much to hide. Some karaoke place with Christmas lights on the outskirts that you go to because your GF knows the owner doesn't really count.

OP I would try to help you but find Ubon incredibly dull and haven't found the secrets that these people are hiding either. Central Plaza seems to be the highlight of the town right now. I have been there many times before I get jumped on.

Edited by anotheruser
  • Like 1

What is wrong with the people of Ubon? It's pathetic!

Wow, you call the people of Ubon pathetic and then ask for their advice?

<deleted>!

How many Ubon locals read TV?!? I wasn't calling the Xpat Ubon community pathetic - although judging by some of the return posts ......?!?!