Toyota Hilux Cng/Petro Bifuel On Sale

I recently paid 2000 baht to book a Nissan Almera with 3 month waiting period. Main reason I choose this car was fuel cost. However I saw Hilux Smart cab with CNG/Petro bifuel in the mall and I am having second thoughts. They claim it has 1 bath/km fuel efficiency. The truck is available now at 731,000 baht. This is first CNG/petro truck this year in Thailand and I couldn't find any good subjective reviews other than Toyota promotion. Has anyone have experience with this truck? Would really appreciate opinions/reviews.

I have no experience of the Hilux but it was only released last month so that explains why you're unlikely to find any reviews. It's a factory-approved conversion so will be covered by all the standard Toyota warranties. The claimed cost is accurate for all the time the truck is running on CNG; you probably know that you must start every trip on petrol for a few kms and then change to CNG. All the times you have to run the Hilux on petrol will cost much more than the Almera; it wouldn't be ideal for short commutes. For example, if you drive 12km to work and back everyday, then you'd be running on petrol for 25% of the time so wouldn't save quite as much as you'd expect. You'd have to offset any savings with the long-term cost of maintenance for the CNG system and any time you waste finding and queueing at service stations. If you live and intend to travel around areas with CNG filling stations (ie Bangkok) then the truck will be ideal (for businesses etc).

I have no experience of the Hilux but it was only released last month so that explains why you're unlikely to find any reviews. It's a factory-approved conversion so will be covered by all the standard Toyota warranties. The claimed cost is accurate for all the time the truck is running on CNG; you probably know that you must start every trip on petrol for a few kms and then change to CNG. All the times you have to run the Hilux on petrol will cost much more than the Almera; it wouldn't be ideal for short commutes. For example, if you drive 12km to work and back everyday, then you'd be running on petrol for 25% of the time so wouldn't save quite as much as you'd expect. You'd have to offset any savings with the long-term cost of maintenance for the CNG system and any time you waste finding and queueing at service stations. If you live and intend to travel around areas with CNG filling stations (ie Bangkok) then the truck will be ideal (for businesses etc).

Good reply, and OP should be aware that the petrol Vido is a slug. sad.png

This is good information to know. The representative spoke no English and couldn't answer some key questions I had. I live in downtown Chiang Rai and it's small city. Most of my commuting will be done on motorbike just avoid hassle of parking except for grocery shopping and occasional golf outing. So according to your info, I wouldn't save any fuel cost. Also there are only two CNG stations in Chiang Rai and I am not sure about the que situation during the day. This is one of my main concerns. Especially if I want to travel. It might be hard pressed to find CNG stations. Other than emotional aspect (feels good to drive bigger car) the main attraction was fuel cost and low maintenance cost. I may stay with Almera. ermm.gif

How about diesel trucks vs petro in terms of fuel savings?

Good reply, and OP should be aware that the petrol Vido is a slug. sad.png

Not that bad Transam. 4 cylyners do just great at 50% over the legal.

Edited by harrry

Clearly you should have stopped after your first line that you have no experiance

You never owned or used one for any lenth of time

I do haver a Mitsubishi Triton CNG as well as a Nissan March which is much like the car you want. Same motor and platform

I keep perfrect records of every km and every stang I put into each

March over 10,000 km (my second March at that) 2.2 baht per KM average

My Triton is under 1 Baht per km on CNG and 4 baht on Petrol with nearly 40,000 km on it

I use my truck more than my March, it simply saves me a ton of money. Yes the Toyota and Mitsubishi start on gas and when the motor warms to 65C it switches over, usually under 1 minute time in the morning and under 10 seconds when warm. The TATA CNG truck is only CNG all the time even when starting

The Triton cost less by about 100.000 than the Toyota to buy new, I have had no trouble with it and love filling it up for under 250 Bt. With what I save in fuel cost, the truck will be free in less than 3 years for what I drive. it gets slightly better KPL with CNG than gas. but is seemless and I can not tell any difference on gas or CNG

I have another one on order and think I will never own a non CNG car or truck again. I have the extended cab and will get the double cab unit

Many companies make them both cars and truck depending on what you want. even the luxury brands make them

Chevy has a car, the aveo that is CNG but is coming out with 3 more CNG car and trucks

Protron has a few units avalable

Tata has a few trucks that use CNG

Mitsubishi has 3 trucks and 2 cars that use CNG

Honda next year is making their City in CNG

Toyota also has a car that is CNG and cost about 50 stang per km to run

The only down side is some very back areas do not have CNG yet. I drive Chiang Mai to BKK bi weekly and never have a problem. finding it GO to Mae hong son and maybe you will have trouble, but then I can just use gas !

The March is easier to park though !

Edited by JeffreyMcCollum

The only down side is some very back areas do not have CNG yet.

...all good Jeffrey,just this couple of things...for example I live in Mae Rim,so no CNG station near by ..and parking in garages is prohibited...smile.png ...and my wife still think gas(CNG,LPG)=boom laugh.png ...but I get your point...wink.png

Clearly you should have stopped after your first line that you have no experiance

You never owned or used one for any lenth of time

I do haver a Mitsubishi Triton CNG as well as a Nissan March which is much like the car you want. Same motor and platform

I keep perfrect records of every km and every stang I put into each

March over 10,000 km (my second March at that) 2.2 baht per KM average

My Triton is under 1 Baht per km on CNG and 4 baht on Petrol with nearly 40,000 km on it

I use my truck more than my March, it simply saves me a ton of money. Yes the Toyota and Mitsubishi start on gas and when the motor warms to 65C it switches over, usually under 1 minute time in the morning and under 10 seconds when warm. The TATA CNG truck is only CNG all the time even when starting

The Triton cost less by about 100.000 than the Toyota to buy new, I have had no trouble with it and love filling it up for under 250 Bt. With what I save in fuel cost, the truck will be free in less than 3 years for what I drive. it gets slightly better KPL with CNG than gas. but is seemless and I can not tell any difference on gas or CNG

I have another one on order and think I will never own a non CNG car or truck again. I have the extended cab and will get the double cab unit

Many companies make them both cars and truck depending on what you want. even the luxury brands make them

Chevy has a car, the aveo that is CNG but is coming out with 3 more CNG car and trucks

Protron has a few units avalable

Tata has a few trucks that use CNG

Mitsubishi has 3 trucks and 2 cars that use CNG

Honda next year is making their City in CNG

Toyota also has a car that is CNG and cost about 50 stang per km to run

The only down side is some very back areas do not have CNG yet. I drive Chiang Mai to BKK bi weekly and never have a problem. finding it GO to Mae hong son and maybe you will have trouble, but then I can just use gas !

The March is easier to park though !

Thanks for the post. I planned to take a translator to the dealer and ask detailed questions. Whether I get honest answer or not.. potluck.

I have been doing more calculation and as the gentleman stated about Ranger mileage, there seemed to little difference in fuel cost. Now I am (again) heavily leaning towards the truck.

The Ranger will be around 12-16 km/L,but it's diesel,so it costs less than gasohol(Almera),which can go 14-18km/L...do your math smile.png

Ranger 8 - 14 kpl = 3,8 - 2,2 Bt. per KM

Almera 15 - 21 kpl = 2.4 - 1.7 Bt. per KM

Triton CNG 10 - 14 kpl = 1.2 - 0.8 Bt per KM

OK I did the math, Fuel prices in your area may vary These prices are at the PTT station I was at this evening I know prices are less in the BKK area.

Also note with the 200,000 - 500.,000Bt.savings of buying the Almera over the Ranger you can buy

108,000 - 270,000 km worth of fuel

...all good Jeffrey,just this couple of things...for example I live in Mae Rim,so no CNG station near by ..and parking in garages is prohibited...smile.png ...and my wife still think gas(CNG,LPG)=boom laugh.png ...but I get your point...wink.png

Yes I go up to Mae Rim weekly as well as Mae thang. Nearest is 8 km in toward CM Same in my home in Hang dong I go to the one near Airport plaza when I an in town or over to the super highway

Incorrect on parking in garages was at airport plaza today, Never had a problem at BKK airport or anywhere in bangkok or pattaya as well as at my condo or others

Sorry, can;t help you with what your wife thinks

The Ranger will be around 12-16 km/L,but it's diesel,so it costs less than gasohol(Almera),which can go 14-18km/L...do your math smile.png

OK I did the math, Fuel prices in your area may vary These prices are at the PTT station I was at this evening I know prices are less in the BKK area.

Also note with the 200,000 - 500.,000Bt.savings of buying the Almera over the Ranger you can buy

..OK,we are off the fuel consumption numbers here(Almera claims 20 max)...I agree with the CNG costs savings,but you can't just simply get it everywhere...and the truck will cost more...but it is much more than an ECO car...and safer too !

Yes I go up to Mae Rim weekly as well as Mae thang. Nearest is 8 km in toward CM Same in my home in Hang dong I go to the one near Airport plaza when I an in town or over to the super highway

Incorrect on parking in garages was at airport plaza today, Never had a problem at BKK airport or anywhere in bangkok or pattaya as well as at my condo or others

Sorry, can;t help you with what your wife thinks

...don't get me wrong,I love savings on fuel,but CNG is still no widely available...it works for you,that's good and I wished I've had a filling station on my route,but I don't...

...and I think I'm right on the parking thing,better check this,Airport Plaza has a special designated parking for gas(LPG<CNG) powered cars outside the covered garage...well,only problem when it blows up..

..OK,we are off the fuel consumption numbers here(Almera claims 20 max)...I agree with the CNG costs savings,but you can't just simply get it everywhere...and the truck will cost more...but it is much more than an ECO car...and safer too !

Ford claims 12.6 but I know some get more. I have only driven it once and not for that long.

In my March, driveing without A/C on the best I got was 26 kpl driving at 100 kph But yes Nissan claims 20 I also average just over 15 in town (15.4) so yes the humbers may vary depending on many things.

If you read all my post, I argee I like to drive the truck most. On bad roads like Highway 1 south of Tak to Nahon Sawan

but today I was in Chiang mai drivng around the moat and city 6 times, the March was better.and easier to park and slip throught traffic. The OP never said where he would drive. Tomorrow I need to bring a 16 foot ladder, Cant do that in the March. and mid week to BKK airport and back. I will take the truck. Last week at the inlaws I had 5 in my truck and 4 more in the bed for 9 total, can't do that in the March, wouldn't want to

At my In-laws you can only get 91 GAS you simply can not get anything else for 10 km Diesel is 10 km away, LPG is 20 and CNG 22 km away. So I fill up on the way out to the village if you can really call it that.

And for these reason I have both the Truck CNG and March (as well as a few motor bikes, but that starts a whole new can of worms)

Ford claims 12.6 but I know some get more. I have only driven it once and not for that long.

In my March, driveing without A/C on the best I got was 26 kpl driving at 100 kph But yes Nissan claims 20 I also average just over 15 in town (15.4) so yes the humbers may vary depending on many things.

If you read all my post, I argee I like to drive the truck most. On bad roads like Highway 1 south of Tak to Nahon Sawan

but today I was in Chiang mai drivng around the moat and city 6 times, the March was better.and easier to park and slip throught traffic. The OP never said where he would drive. Tomorrow I need to bring a 16 foot ladder, Cant do that in the March. and mid week to BKK airport and back. I will take the truck. Last week at the inlaws I had 5 in my truck and 4 more in the bed for 9 total, can't do that in the March, wouldn't want to

At my In-laws you can only get 91 GAS you simply can not get anything else for 10 km Diesel is 10 km away, LPG is 20 and CNG 22 km away. So I fill up on the way out to the village if you can really call it that.

And for these reason I have both the Truck CNG and March (as well as a few motor bikes, but that starts a whole new can of worms)

OK...I think we're on the same 'page' here...nothing is perfect...and if I wanted 2 cars now(!),it would be New Ranger 2.2 and Almera...if 3,maybe this CNG Vigo(or Triton) could do?!smile.png

Today I went to book the Hilux CNG model only to find out it doesn't have

ABS. I just assumed this was standard and I was disappointed and hesitant to make the booking. I have only been Chiang Rai under a month but it was raining almost everyday. I feel ABS is a must on the slippery road. Any comments?

ABS. I just assumed this was standard and I was disappointed and hesitant to make the booking. I have only been Chiang Rai under a month but it was raining almost everyday. I feel ABS is a must on the slippery road. Any comments?

Are you sure ?

the current Hilux platform in Thailand has almost no safety features.

I looked at these trucks as a last ditch effort to move some old stock/parts before they retool for the new model.

Are you sure ?

Quite sure. The rep told me this model does not carry ABS. When I inquired why it doesn't have ABS option, he told it has disc brake and doesn't need one. This tells me he has no idea what ABS is. I questioned about this in length and finally decided not to book. I may stop by the dealer and check it out after holiday is over.

Are you sure ?

Quite sure. The rep told me this model does not carry ABS. When I inquired why it doesn't have ABS option, he told me it has disc brake and doesn't need one. This tells me he has no idea what ABS is for. I questioned about this in length and finally decided not to book. I may stop by the dealer and check it out after holiday is over.