Mitt Romney Chooses Paul Ryan As Election Running Mate

george

3 points is still inside the margin of error, so it is a virtual tie. wink.png

It always is a virtual tie! It doesn't matter if Romney went out on a shooting spree, the 48% of republicans will still vote for him, and the other 48% of Dems will vote for Obama. All this effort and money is to persuade the 1-2% to give a party their vote. What a total waste of time and money.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what is known as a lie. Romney did not say that they don't matter to him. He said that they would not vote for him.

Ok, here is exactly what he said about the 47%; "And so, my job is not to worry about those people"

full transcript

Romney is now 8% behind Obama in latest US poll, this morning.

Edited by maidu
  • Like 1

Yeah sure.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Wednesday shows Mitt Romney attracting support from 47% of voters nationwide, while President Obama earns 46% of the vote. Three percent (3%) prefer some other candidate, and four percent (4%) are undecided. See daily tracking history.

As I said, he DID NOT say that they don't matter. He said that they will not vote for him. You need to stop getting your talking points from Media Matters:

These are people who pay no income tax. 47% of Americans pay no income taxes. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect. And he'll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean that's what they sell every-- every four years.

And-- and so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for for their lives. What I have to do is convince the 5% to 10% in the center that are independents, that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion. http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/18/13943563-full-video-and-transcript-of-leaked-romney-fundraiser-remarks?lite

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Ulysses, you can spin it all you want, as conservative talking heads in the States are going in to over-drive trying to put as nice a spin on it as possible. It doesn't matter to me personally, but it might matter to the few % of voters who may still be deciding.

Mitt was talking to a select group of rich people, and he didn't know he was being recorded. The context was pure numbers needed to win the election. The only people this matters to, is the people who interpret (or mis-interpret) his statements as 'he doesn't care for half the people in America who are lazy and don't pay taxes' That's the message many people read from it. Whether that's the true message or not is moot.

Incidentally, the considerable # of elderly who don't currently pay taxes, are largely people who did work hard and pay taxes for decades. So Romney may have turned off a considerable number of them also. Goodbye Florida.

In my earlier post, I mentioned Romney had dropped to 8% behind Obama in the polling. That was from NPR. No prez contender has ever come back from such poll numbers to win against an incumbant.

Ulysses, you can spin it all you want, as conservative talking heads in the States are going in to over-drive trying to put as nice a spin on it as possible.

You mean by printing out an exact transcript of what he actually said, which directly contradicts what you said, that he said? FYO, that is not spin. cheesy.gif

In my earlier post, I mentioned Romney had dropped to 8% behind Obama in the polling. That was from NPR. No prez contender has ever come back from such poll numbers to win against an incumbant.

I would be interested in seeing the NPR poll. Can you provide a link?

Thanks.

President Obama leads Republican Mitt Romney by 8 points nationally — 51 to 43 percent among likely voters — as the race heads into the final stretch, according to a new Pew Research Center poll released Wednesday.

NPR referring to this Pew Research Center Polling: http://www.people-press.org/2012/09/19/obama-ahead-with-stronger-support-better-image-and-lead-on-most-issues/

Not sure what significance (if much any ) it has at this point.

That is what is known as a lie. Romney did not say that they don't matter to him. He said that they would not vote for him.

Ok, here is exactly what he said about the 47%; "And so, my job is not to worry about those people"

full transcript

It's clear he's talking about not worry about them in terms or the election and getting their votes. His job IS to convince the 5-10% undecided to vote for him.

But I understand, the media is shamefully in the tank for Obama. They would rather take this 4-month old quote and twist it to distract the voters than to pursue the answer to questions such as WHY did we ignore intel about attacks on our embassies on the anniversary of 9/11 that led to the al Qaeda assassination of one of our ambassadors?

I guess Obama - if you could ever get anyone to ask him the question - would say that it isn't his job to worry about the security of our diplomats abroad. That worries me more than what Romney said.

• Like 1

Too bad there isn't a 3rd party like Jesse Ventura running.

Two party politics, cannot speak for the nation.

A third party would be disastrous because it would simply split the vote for one side (Perot '92, Nadar '00). It might be better if we could have 5 viable parties and have a run-off between the top two if no one candidate wins 50%. That would shake things up.

President Obama leads Republican Mitt Romney by 8 points nationally — 51 to 43 percent among likely voters — as the race heads into the final stretch, according to a new Pew Research Center poll released Wednesday.

NPR referring to this Pew Research Center Polling: http://www.people-pr...on-most-issues/

Not sure what significance (if much any ) it has at this point.

All this focus on polls this early is a waste of time. Someone posted not long ago something from Pew stating that the response rate to polls is just 9%. That means only 9 out of every 100 people contacted agree to answer questions.

I'll be interested in what the polls say after each debate, after the voters get to watch the candidates for themselves instead of going by what the media feels like spin-feeding them.

I would be interested in seeing the NPR poll. Can you provide a link?

npr.org - a great radio station, btw. Just their music library (interviews, debut releases, archives, etc) is awesome.

Thanks.

Ulysses, you can spin it all you want, as conservative talking heads in the States are going in to over-drive trying to put as nice a spin on it as possible.

You mean by printing out an exact transcript of what he actually said, which directly contradicts what you said, that he said? FYO, that is not spin. cheesy.gif

Here's the exact quote of what he said: "And so, my job is not to worry about those people" (referring to the 47% who are moochers, in his view)

saying it's your job to not worry about a group of people, can be reasonably construed to mean you don't care about them. Where is the "direct contradiction" (as someone alleges)?

Ulysses claims Romney said: "47% of voters do not pay federal tax and could care less that he wants to lower them and will vote for Obama." Please cite where in the transcript that quote comes from (you can't).

A link to the complete transcript

the actual video

More recently, Romney's spin team is in overdrive trying to debunk the video. But here's an article titled "

Romney's Video-Debunking Claim Is…Debunked

Edited by maidu

As I said, he DID NOT say that they don't matter. He said that they will not vote for him. You need to stop getting your talking points from Media Matters:

These are people who pay no income tax. 47% of Americans pay no income taxes. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect. And he'll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean that's what they sell every-- every four years.

And-- and so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for for their lives. What I have to do is convince the 5% to 10% in the center that are independents, that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion. http://firstread.nbc...er-remarks?lite

Here it is again and it is plain that he is talking about "not worrying" about the fact that they will not vote for him.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I guess Obama - if you could ever get anyone to ask him the question - would say that it isn't his job to worry about the security of our diplomats abroad. That worries me more than what Romney said.

That's a low blow - to type a hypothetical question to the Prez, and then answer it in a ridiculous way, and then comment negatively on your totally off-base hypothetical answer to your hypothetical question. You can do better than that, come on.

Edited by maidu

And-- and so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for for their lives. What I have to do is convince the 5% to 10% in the center that are independents, that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion. http://firstread.nbc...er-remarks?lite

Here it is again and it is plain that he is talking about "not worrying" about the fact that they will not vote for him.

You may be right, but it's the perception by the American people, particularly those 3% who may still be undecided, that matters. The Romney campaign and all his apologists have their work cut out for them. And they hope dearly that no other unauthorized videos surface between now and early Nov.

That's a low blow - to type a hypothetical question to the Prez, and then answer it in a ridiculous way, and then comment negatively on your totally off-base hypothetical answer to your hypothetical question. You can do better than that, come on.

Look at what you falsely attributed to Romney a few posts up. Pot, kettle black.

Edited by Ulysses G.

You may be right, but it's the perception by the American people, particularly those 3% who may still be undecided, that matters. The Romney campaign and all his apologists have their work cut out for them. And they hope dearly that no other unauthorized videos surface between now and early Nov.

The American people are starting to figure out that Obama's campaign (and the media) are being very dishonest when it comes to Romney because they are so desperate to hold on to power despite their pathetic record. It is very possible that there will be a backlash in the days right before the election and Romney will win big.

Edited by Ulysses G.

"He said", "She said", this whole election campaign is developing into little more than a mud slinging exercise.

Someone needs to ask questions like:

"How are you going to fund tax cuts?".

"How are you going to put people back to work?"

"What is Obamacare going to cost, and how many extra people will get coverage as a result?"

:What is abolishing Obamacare going to gain, and how many people will lose coverage as a result?"

Not "What does Dog taste like?".

or "How could you stick a dog on a roof of a car?".

I don't know what's more sickening and pathetic, the fact that the two parties are behaving like this, or the fact that the American public are letting them get away with it.

All of these questions have been asked and answered. The problem is figuring out who is answering them honestly.

How are the tax cuts going to be funded? By closing loopholes. Specifically, which ones? If these questions have been answered then just state specifically which loopholes will fund the tax cuts. Just list them.

All of these questions have been asked and answered. The problem is figuring out who is answering them honestly.

How are the tax cuts going to be funded? By closing loopholes.

You just answered the question that he asked. As far as specifics, neither side is being specific. Those are the questions that need to be asked and the press needs to ask both republicans and democrats.

Edited by Ulysses G.

How are the tax cuts going to be funded? By closing loopholes.

You just answered the question that he asked. As far as specifics, neither side is being specific. Those are the questions that need to be asked and the press needs to ask both republicans and democrats.

You said the question had been answered. Well, I'm asking you to put up. What loopholes are going to be closed to fund a 25% reduction in Federal Income Tax? It's a specific question and one that you said had been answered. So, if it has been answered give the answer here. What loopholes? Answer honestly. You said you like honesty.

""How are you going to fund tax cuts?".

This is the question that I said had been answered and the answer is by closing loopholes. It says nothing about specifics and i did not say that they specifics had been addressed - only his actual question.

Edited by Ulysses G.