Censorship Not The Answer To 'Hate Speech', Scholar Argues

Lite Beer

"Simple logic"

simple is right, but i'm glad you've found the solution for 2010.

if only abhisit had called you...

Nobody claimed that preventing hate speeches would have solved the problems of 2010, but fewer people inflamed by months of repetitive promises of violence would have helped. "Bring your weapons, bring bottles.....join me in gaol" just doesn't have the same appeal.

I don't doubt that there was inflammatory talk by some redshirt leaders.However for hatespeak I have seen nothing to exceed the vile racist bloodlust of the social media with mainly middle class Bangkok residents exulting in violence towards the redshirts in general.Odd that some prefer to bury this along with the racist hate talk of the PAD rallies.

ok you've arrested arisman so far, what next?

Similar actions and logic. BTW as a police function. RTP who refused to act upon clear breeches of the law, or refused to obey legitimate orders, should have been suspended WOP pending disciplinary tribunal. You support the OP - would you have handed out pro-Jewish pamphlets at the Nuremburg rally?

haha what??? why on earth are you asking me that?

btw, "similar actions and logic" doesn't cut it for me to how you, ozmick, could have solved it and got everyone to just <deleted> and achieve less deaths in 2010... but i won't keep on asking you about it, so let's leave that one there.

"why on earth are you asking me that?" Don't you believe that "counter speech" and "constructive speech" can prevent the evils of hate speech, as stated in the OP you support?

He does believe in it. He just chooses to not listen

Some posters are getting very confused about what "hate speech" is. It has nothing to do with red shirts or yellow shirts. It is a politically correct construct developed in the US to outlaw, censor and demonise politically incorrect statements. Incitement to arson is a completely different matter and is already a criminal offence in Thailand and every other country.

Clearly the prof. is not a member of TV. Perhaps he would care to engage in the political discussions here.... as a mod? smile.png

Why would he want to a member; he opposes censorship of hate speech and TV censors hate speech. To become a member would suggest hypocrisy.

TV censors hate speech? Depends on how you define hate speech really , have you read some of these threads lately. Mind you it is mainly one way.............

• Like 1

"..hate speech - which has proliferated in Thailand over the past half decade or more..." is the tool of the subversive agitator. Just pick a difference of a minority - skin colour, ethnicity, religion, wealth - then blame them for anything and everything. Get rid of them and we'll all be better off. Full human rights will be re-instated when we finish killing all those who don't deserve them.

I prefer the hate speech than a system were the Gestapo comes can put people in jail who are posting some bad joke or something against the government.

(who decide what a hate speech is? The people in power. Think for Germany or Austria, whenever there is a discussion about the past you are half in the jail already. Even when you say nothing in favor for Nazi, but you know how things can be twisted in court.)

I prefer freedom of speech, of course a good educational system is needed to have that working....but well we are in Thailand.....

Surely you are joking do you not realize there is a whole big world out there and most of it less educated than the Thai's.

What kind of a education did you get. It seems to be lacking in knowledge. Possibly long on dreaming.

I wouldn't arrest him for that speech.....but why was no one arrest when they closed the streets, made barricades, were armed?

All that Charchai Chaisukkosol is doing is providing some ideological cover for the red's ideological and actual hate and thuggery. This is what some academics end up doing.

they start an argument in an attempt to muddy the waters. The reds have form and he is trying to provide some long grass for them to hang out in.

Similar actions and logic. BTW as a police function. RTP who refused to act upon clear breeches of the law, or refused to obey legitimate orders, should have been suspended WOP pending disciplinary tribunal. You support the OP - would you have handed out pro-Jewish pamphlets at the Nuremburg rally?

haha what??? why on earth are you asking me that?

btw, "similar actions and logic" doesn't cut it for me to how you, ozmick, could have solved it and got everyone to just <deleted> and achieve less deaths in 2010... but i won't keep on asking you about it, so let's leave that one there.

"why on earth are you asking me that?" Don't you believe that "counter speech" and "constructive speech" can prevent the evils of hate speech, as stated in the OP you support?

He does believe in it. He just chooses to not listen

why don't you look at the answer i gave to this question already in the thread, instead of you telling me what i think?

you're trolling, nothing more, nothing less.

Just more reasons to develop Debate skills in students...the tuture of Thailand..right?

But some people won't let things drop if the debate doesn't end in their favour.

Any odds on debates ending in a handshake or wai, and 'thanks for the opportunity to get things in the open'?