Platinum Px250 Or Lifan Lf250Gy-7 Aka Lifan Satan 250 Or Gpx Zf250 Enduro

InternetPTT

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You traveled before by bike?? rent a bike and take it on a few daytrips, ( 200-500 km) then you should get a good idea of what it is to be on the road.

We traveled before by Honda phantom 200cc in Chiang May mountains and 300 km a day was not a problem, but passenger was feeling uncomfortable in spine. I think cruiser is not good for offroad and we want to try enduro. We are only beginners and we are afraid to pay a lot of money for a bike, because we might not like off road trips.

You traveled before by bike?? rent a bike and take it on a few daytrips, ( 200-500 km) then you should get a good idea of what it is to be on the road.

We traveled before by Honda phantom 200cc in Chiang May mountains and 300 km a day was not a problem, but passenger was feeling uncomfortable in spine. I think cruiser is not good for offroad and we want to try enduro. We are only beginners and we are afraid to pay a lot of money for a bike, because we might not like off road trips.

You'll lose a lot more in resale value from a new Chinese bike.

The more reason to try out ( rent) a off road bike,but i think 2 up on a small off road bike on a multi country trip is just asking to much.

Mayby an option is to travel with 2 bikes???for solo riding with luggage that kind of light off roaders are well suited, and you will enjoy the off roading much better.

I drive a KLX 250 on and off road ( also longer multiday rides) but i would never consider doing the same rides with a pillion.only an occasional ride to town My wifes honda click is more comfortable with a pillion then the KLX.

When you want to travel to Cambodia were the roads are quite bad a solo driven off road bike would be perfect, you will spend quite some time standing on the pegs.

The more reason to try out ( rent) a off road bike,but i think 2 up on a small off road bike on a multi country trip is just asking to much.

Mayby an option is to travel with 2 bikes???for solo riding with luggage that kind of light off roaders are well suited, and you will enjoy the off roading much better.

I drive a KLX 250 on and off road ( also longer multiday rides) but i would never consider doing the same rides with a pillion.only an occasional ride to town My wifes honda click is more comfortable with a pillion then the KLX.

When you want to travel to Cambodia were the roads are quite bad a solo driven off road bike would be perfect, you will spend quite some time standing on the pegs.

Which is why I suggested The Cbr250. Perfect bike for rider and pillion. 300km no problem.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Ofcourse solo riding is better, but my wife never drove any bike and i'm afraid for her health if she tries it.

Ofcourse solo riding is better, but my wife never drove any bike and i'm afraid for her health if she tries it.

But yet you want to try and ride offroad with her on the back in an armchair type fabrication :blink::blink::blink:

Personally I would restrict your riding to roads. Tarmac / concrete roads would be best.

Have you EVER ridden offroad before. Honestly its not easy by yourself. I would say near impossible for a novice rider carrying a passenger and 50kilos of luggage. Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

I did a 140km round trip on tarmac with my misses on the back of the crf my legs and back were killing me after I honestly think we would be more comfortable on the Honda click

You will not be doing any off roading 2 up unless you are pretty experienced rider

Thanks all.

When saying offroad I meant fields, bad roads in Laos and Cambodia, hills, but not forest or mountain trails, neither any swamps. I think I would be able to drive through such landscape with a passanger behind.

Tomorrow I am going to see Honda Africa Twin, 750 cc but 1992. The cost of the bike is 100,000 thb. Whatdo you thi k about it? Do you think it will be a problem to find parts for it in case of any break downs? Does anyone know if it is expensive to service this bike?

I also found kawa klx 250 2001-2004 years of production. The cost varies from 55,000 to 70,000 thb.

What do tou think about kawa d-tracker 250? Is the only difference between d-tracker and klx in tyres?

What do you think about kawa kle 250?

I am planning to try driving Lifan in the nearest days. I will let you know about my impressions.

Thanks all.

When saying offroad I meant fields, bad roads in Laos and Cambodia, hills, but not forest or mountain trails, neither any swamps. I think I would be able to drive through such landscape with a passanger behind.

Tomorrow I am going to see Honda Africa Twin, 750 cc but 1992. The cost of the bike is 100,000 thb. Whatdo you thi k about it? Do you think it will be a problem to find parts for it in case of any break downs? Does anyone know if it is expensive to service this bike?

I also found kawa klx 250 2001-2004 years of production. The cost varies from 55,000 to 70,000 thb.

What do tou think about kawa d-tracker 250? Is the only difference between d-tracker and klx in tyres?

I am planning to try driving Lifan in the nearest days. I will let you know about my impressions.

I think you have not thought this trip very well.....hmm parts for a twenty year (750cc) old motorbike in loas. I think everyone knows the answer....

klx vs dtracker ..... not only the tire but you will need the wheels and kickstand...also my 2012 dtraerker was only 105k so why not look 2009up about 80k

Thanks all.

What proportion of paved compated to unpaved roads are you traveling on?

In Thailand always check engine and frame numbers against the green book when buying older bikes. There are many dubious green book/number plates here.

Which is why I suggested The Cbr250. Perfect bike for rider and pillion. 300km no problem.

I have often ridden my Honda Phantom from Klong Lan in Khampaeng Phet province to BKK or Chiang Mai around 400km in a comfortable days ride.

I did ride to BKK and back in one day once but I really felt the 800 km the next day.

The advantage of the Phantom is that spares and service is available all over Thailand and in the worst case most local Somchais can fix them too.

A good used one is around 50k baht and if you upped your budget a little you could get 2 for around 100k baht.

Just remember one thing about the Phantom.

It will take you almost anywhere but a rocketship it ain't.

Comfort is good but it is a cruiser and not a crotch rocket.

Most people here will probably not agree, but buy a Lifan LF250-B (V250 Cruiser), parts are available in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, and basically any country you can visit in South-East Asia.

With its 250cc V-twin engine it has more power than a Honda Phantom TA200, while keeping the comfortable riding position.

Sure it's not an enduro bike, but than riding enduro with two people would also be very uncomfortable and likely a bit dangerous. And as long you not travel in or near the raining season you should be fine on unpaved roads. Not forget that in Cambodia or Laos 90% (maybe even more) of the motorcycles you will see on unpaved roads are 125cc Honda Dream's with often more than 2 people on it...

I can remember one time when I was in Cambodia standing on my pegs to ride a bad looking unpaved road and a school girl on something what looked like a Honda Wave passed me looking at me “what the hack this foreigner is doing”...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Most people here will probably not agree, but buy a Lifan LF250-B (V250 Cruiser), parts are available in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, and basically any country you can visit in South-East Asia.

With its 250cc V-twin engine it has more power than a Honda Phantom TA200, while keeping the comfortable riding position.

Sure it's not an enduro bike, but than riding enduro with two people would also be very uncomfortable and likely a bit dangerous. And as long you not travel in or near the raining season you should be fine on unpaved roads. Not forget that in Cambodia or Laos 90% (maybe even more) of the motorcycles you will see on unpaved roads are 125cc Honda Dream's with often more than 2 people on it...

I can remember one time when I was in Cambodia standing on my pegs to ride a bad looking unpaved road and a school girl on something what looked like a Honda Wave passed me looking at me “what the hack this foreigner is doing”...

Seems to be a great bike. See member LawrenceLam's Lifan here:

Thanks all.

Today tried Honda africa twin - very good bike, but found a problem with docs... :(

After long time thinking we desided take Lifan cross 200 and modifikate it.

We will try it around Pattaya for two months to see what it is like.

If the bike is good - we go on a trip by it. If we don't like the bike- we use it insted of a scooter and take cruiser Lifan 250 for long trips.

That's our decision for today, though we might change something later...

All you need is a low km second hand Honda wave 125 with a decent rack on the back.

A good second hand one will cost you about 25KTHB.

Buy two enduro tyres and strap them to the back rack.

If you plan on leaving the bitumen for any stretch...stop at the local tin shed bike shop and have them swap your road tyres for the enduros.

FORGET the chinese junk you have referred to. If you have even the most miniscule mechanical problem on the road you will be screwed because of zero spare part availability.

Also if you are on a tight budget, as your post suggests, the new CDI electronic ignition Hondas are miraculous good on fuel.

I rode one (110cc) from Khon Kaen to Non Khai, with my girl and backpack on the back and used less than 200THB in fuel.

Although I am learning to love my Lifan Cross, I am not sure this is the right bike for the type journey you are planning (two up long distance)

The problem you will have with the Lifan Cross is the enduro style seat. But if you get it modified it might be ok. My wife does not enjoy riding pillion on the Lifan Cross because of the seat and the heat from exhaust which isn't shielded as well as it could be. Both things could be modified, if I wasn't lazy about it.

The bike is low tech so local mechanics should be able to help you out with low level maintenance issues (tubes, tires, chain, electrics) The motors in these are very good, so I wouldn't worry about

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 1

Today we saw two kinds of Lifan 200: cross lf200gy-5 and x-plorer lf200gy-5a

Cross:

Rear tyres 18" and have 2 kinds - hard offroad and middle offroad (different high knobbies)

Front tyres 21" also with different knobbies

Gear box: 1-st up, other down (inversion compared to other bikes)

Clutch is hard

Has a trunk

Bad muffler

Footsteps for passenger are in low position

Has plastic protection against dirt around rear vehicle

Hard suspension

X-plorer:

Rear and front tyres are 17" and road style

Gear box: 1-st down, others up (similar to other bikes)

Clutch is soft

has no trunk

Muffler is better

Footsteps for passenger are in high position and have a hole for other construction (for example - trunk on both sides)

has no protection around rear vehicle

Soft suspension

Electronic odometer

Modern headlight, round mirrors, and other plastik accesorieses

Saler says that the engine is more modern but with similar power

Strong sides of the cross model for me:

Tyres, trunk, hard suspension, plastik dirt protection.

Strong sides of the x-plorer model for me:

Normal gear box, soft clutch, muffler.

Price difference is 1000 thb (cross - 45000, x-plorer - 46000).

Now i'm puzzeld :(

I took a 3-day 1200 km trip on my Lifan Cross 200 a few weeks ago (with DutchBike on his KLX 250). We did over 500km on the first day--10 hours of moving time, 15 hours total. My ass is still sore!!

Was fun as hell, though! 2 people with luggage? Not a chance! Not unless you plan on traveling about 50 k a day.

Here are some pics and a Google map of the trip.

http://www.liveinasiablog.com/2012/08/buriram-to-khlong-yai-my-3-day-1200-km-motorcycle-ride/

I know you don't want to deal with the reality that your choice of bike for your trip is.....in all ways limited (?)....but your still considering buying a Chinese bike! I have a neighbour, who is a knowledgable sort of chap, that has a Lifan 200 (250?) and his hobby is constantly fixing things that go wrong with the bike! He isn't a rev head, he cruises around Pattaya on it with wife and kid or the occassional trip to Chiang Lai which he tells me he does at 80kph. Yet he is still to be seen in the carpark doing some sort of work on it almost weekly.

Take my advice 'n' backpack it. Or do as someone else said 'n' rent something decent.

Cross:

Rear tyres 18" and have 2 kinds - hard offroad and middle offroad (different high knobbies)

Clutch is hard

Has a trunk

Bad muffler

Hard suspension

X-plorer:

Clutch is soft

has no trunk

Muffler is better

Footsteps for passenger are in high position and have a hole for other construction (for example - trunk on both sides)

Soft suspension

Electronic odometer

Now i'm puzzeld sad.png

choosing among these bikes is like trying to hold a stick with shit at the both ends! haha

man, sure you are puzzled as you have no idea on what you are doing.

First, you are not aware what is doing a long distance ride on a bike. It is definitely uncomfortable on every bike - yes maybe not Goldwing - especially until your ass, belly and spine became rock hard after 10 years. If you found cbr250 uncomfortable, you have no chance to find a comfortable tour bike in Thailandbiggrin.png Have you ever sit on a Lifan? on their narrow seating? Two people on a lifan for long distance with luggages? You have to be kidding us as or you will definitely break up with your girlfriend - especially if she is Thai clap2.gif - on the road if Lifan will not break apart from the middle.

Second, if you not be going trails or 'swamp' ect, why do you need a cross/trail bike like Lifan?

All you need is a road bike like Cbr 250 with maybe a better tire with more thread - even it will not be necessary. It is a solid bike with no problems and its suspension is enough to cope with any type of irregularity on asphalt and even i made some very mild off road with it, no problems.

Besides, you need to think wisely, buying a cheap shitty bike like Lifan - or any Chinese bike - might turn your nice trip into a nightmare on long run. Definitely a Lifan will create problems after some time and if it will happen in Laos in the middle of nowhere, how will you find parts etc.

Keep in mind that a best long trip on bike needs a solid machine from a respectable brand. If you just focus on money at this step, you might end up paying more in return for repairs and for the truck to carry your bike back to Thailand.biggrin.png

Look, you have been in a Honda Phantom and it is a good choice as you know the bike. It is comfortable for two up and can get a lot of luggage. If you do not like CBR 250 at least consider it. Please do not buy any Chinese bike for both your safety. I tell you, it will definitely cost you more.

And, never buy an old bike in Thailand for a long run. You are for sure new in biking and you cannot handle it.

Please consider these.

Edited by loserlazer
  • Like 1

Cross:

Clutch is hard

Has a trunk

Bad muffler

Hard suspension

X-plorer:

Clutch is soft

has no trunk

Muffler is better

Soft suspension

Electronic odometer

Now i'm puzzeld sad.png

choosing among these bikes is like trying to hold a stick with shit at the both ends! haha

man, sure you are puzzled as you have no idea on what you are doing.

First, you are not aware what is doing a long distance ride on a bike. It is definitely uncomfortable on every bike - yes maybe not Goldwing - especially until your ass, belly and spine became rock hard after 10 years. If you found cbr250 uncomfortable, you have no chance to find a comfortable tour bike in Thailandbiggrin.png Have you ever sit on a Lifan? on their narrow seating? Two people on a lifan for long distance with luggages? You have to be kidding us as or you will definitely break up with your girlfriend - especially if she is Thai clap2.gif - on the road if Lifan will not break apart from the middle.

Second, if you not be going trails or 'swamp' ect, why do you need a cross/trail bike like Lifan?

All you need is a road bike like Cbr 250 with maybe a better tire with more thread - even it will not be necessary. It is a solid bike with no problems and its suspension is enough to cope with any type of irregularity on asphalt and even i made some very mild off road with it, no problems.

Besides, you need to think wisely, buying a cheap shitty bike like Lifan - or any Chinese bike - might turn your nice trip into a nightmare on long run. Definitely a Lifan will create problems after some time and if it will happen in Laos in the middle of nowhere, how will you find parts etc.

Keep in mind that a best long trip on bike needs a solid machine from a respectable brand. If you just focus on money at this step, you might end up paying more in return for repairs and for the truck to carry your bike back to Thailand.biggrin.png

Look, you have been in a Honda Phantom and it is a good choice as you know the bike. It is comfortable for two up and can get a lot of luggage. If you do not like CBR 250 at least consider it. Please do not buy any Chinese bike for both your safety. I tell you, it will definitely cost you more.

And, never buy an old bike in Thailand for a long run. You are for sure new in biking and you cannot handle it.

Please consider these.

I agree AND disagree.

Yes 2up a road bike will be more comfortable. Yes it would be better to buy a new and trusted japanese brand. BUT the lifan 250 cruiser is an ok bike its much cheaper than the Cbr and I think you would NEED to have a decent shop look it over and replace certain things like tyres (poor quality chinese) . Headlight ( strange bulb type )etc. But it could do the job. If buying 2nd hand then just make sure you have someone who knows about bike mechanics along to check it out.

I have a friend who has a Lifan cruiser and he has ridden Hat yai to Nakhon Pathom over 2 days ok. And regularly travels 300 + kms in a day.

There is a saying, what goes like this “when in Rome, do as the Romans do”. And if you want to go to Laos and Cambodia on a budget motorcycle do what they do, ride a Chinese motorcycle...

Lifan is the ONLY motorcycle brand that has sells the same motorcycles in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia!!!

In Cambodia the names of some Honda motorcycles seem compatible, but trust me, they aren't not one Cambodia Honda mechanic knows anything technical about a PGM-FI (fuel injection), now-a-day all Honda motorcycles are what we can call 'digital', while in Cambodia and Laos everything is still very much 'analog' with carburator fueled bikes and electronics at a minimum (nothing fancy like combi-brakes, ABS, etc...) Even if you get into trouble and you would need something like a spar part you like to find that the most compatible part comes from a Chinese build motorcycle as even in Cambodia the brake pad of the Honda Dream is not the same as in Thailand... also non of the engine parts will fit.

How much 150 to 250cc motorcycles did Honda Laos and Cambodia sold? How many 150 to 250cc motorcycles did Kawasaki sold in Laos or Cambodia...Oops Kawasaki not even has dealers in Cambodia or Laos...

• Like 1

Hmmm, the new one looks nicer.

don't see how they have given it a trunk though, is it that bulging side panel?

This is a simple and cheap bike, it will run forever and be able to be serviced or fixed by any mechanic in asia.

The engine is tried and tested, most of it is a strait lift of tech honda stopped using 10 years ago, they probably picked up the bluprints from the bin.

If you get one, take it to a shop to have the cheap factory assembly dealt with.

What it wont do is take 2 up and luggage on a trans asia tour. Not unless you both are 5 ft 50 kilo jobs.

The bike would make it but I don't think you would.

I'm big at 6'2 admittedly, but I can't handle taking the missus to the market on it let alone on a long road trip.

LF200GY-5-1.jpg

There is a saying, what goes like this “when in Rome, do as the Romans do”. And if you want to go to Laos and Cambodia on a budget motorcycle do what they do, ride a Chinese motorcycle...

Lifan is the ONLY motorcycle brand that has sells the same motorcycles in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia!!!

In Cambodia the names of some Honda motorcycles seem compatible, but trust me, they aren't not one Cambodia Honda mechanic knows anything technical about a PGM-FI (fuel injection), now-a-day all Honda motorcycles are what we can call 'digital', while in Cambodia and Laos everything is still very much 'analog' with carburator fueled bikes and electronics at a minimum (nothing fancy like combi-brakes, ABS, etc...) Even if you get into trouble and you would need something like a spar part you like to find that the most compatible part comes from a Chinese build motorcycle as even in Cambodia the brake pad of the Honda Dream is not the same as in Thailand... also non of the engine parts will fit.

How much 150 to 250cc motorcycles did Honda Laos and Cambodia sold? How many 150 to 250cc motorcycles did Kawasaki sold in Laos or Cambodia...Oops Kawasaki not even has dealers in Cambodia or Laos...

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Third world quality bikes for riding in a third world countries. It appears that Lifan's marketing budget is a bit third world too, if trolling motorcycle forums is the only way they can get the word out about their crappy bikes. By the way, I'm on my fourth fuel injected Honda bike and have never had any problems with the FI system. Quality build and engineering equals minimal mechanical problems. Poor build and engineering equals a lifetime of problems. Also, Honda offers a five year 50,000km warranty on their engines. How about Lifan?

do what the romans do? This is Thailand and it is a Chinese bike man.

I think farang is the only buyer on these shitty bikes as Thai people have brain man:) Thai people are very careful on their hard earned money. Laos, Khmer people too!

eveybody knows, a Chinese product will cost you more on the long run than a respectable brand.

And, i am getting suspicious on you Richard, so you work for Chinese companies or something? do you get commission from them?

Besides, as a farang you look cheap on these bikes:) as even satang pincher Thais do not buy these manbiggrin.png haha

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Third world quality bikes for riding in a third world countries. It appears that Lifan's marketing budget is a bit third world too, if trolling motorcycle forums is the only way they can get the word out about their crappy bikes. By the way, I'm on my fourth fuel injected Honda bike and have never had any problems with the FI system. Quality build and engineering equals minimal mechanical problems. Poor build and engineering equals a lifetime of problems. Also, Honda offers a five year 50,000km warranty on their engines. How about Lifan?

I wouldn't doubt the deep pockets of Lifan. they are the largest engine manufacturer in the world. The owner is a billionaire and drives a Bugatti Veyron among other things. But China is way behind in brand building and marketing, they also seem to underestimate its importance. But Lifan is here to stay, and they will soon by carving out some of the motorcycle market from Japanese brands.

So Richard as you are such a fan of these cheap bikes and are always recommending them why don't you tell us about some of the pleasures you have experienced while owning and riding them

I presume you have owned several a

ride one daily as you seem to think there so great and used all over se Asia