The Duke's Restaurant

Ulysses G.

I might be singing to the chior but I believe I've had the best food and value for a meal at any restaurant, be it Thai or Farang, at The Duke's.

Everything I've had has not been perfect but overall, and I've said this in my web site, I give The Duke's 2 thumbs up.

My big question is, if The Duke's can sell things at that price, why can't other resaurants do it? If I go to another restaurant I feel as if I'm getting the screws turned. My kid had a small pizza with pepperoni, a cookie and fruit for 95 baht. It was the same pizza that I get all over Chiang Mai for 150 baht.

I love S & P but everytime I go I have to order 2 or 3 dishes for myself and another 2 dishes for my kids. The bill comes out to at least what we spend at The Duke's. I can not just order I dish with 50 grams of meat. If I could I would say that there are cheaper restaurants. But most Thai restaurants do not give good value.

My friends and I, both of them, fully agree.

Cross the river, it's in between Nawarat Bridge and the small Iron Bridge.

I didn't find it extremely cheap though, as in so cheap that it would warrant raving on how cheap it is? For really cheap Western food, places like Dara come to mind. Also Kafe is cheaper.

(Note that I'm not calling it expensive, it's good value for money, especially in that location which is pretty prime.)

I think what "big eater" meant is that you get a lot for your money at the Duke's - not that the prices are cheap - , for example, I bought some chocolate chip cookies there for 30 baht which were enormous - at least four times the size of home-made cookies for the same price at other venues - and they were the best quality that I have had in Chiang Mai.

They will be most hard to resist! :o

• 2 weeks later...

I've eaten there every single day since trying it a few weeks ago. :o

I don't think that I'm exagerating when I say that no other restaurant in Northern Thailand comes near to the quality for the price and I haven't eaten anything that I disliked although some dishes are just average.

This place would even stick out in Bangkok for quality food and reasonable prices if nothing else (Think of the Great American Rib Company at half the price).

Best apple pie in town.

Best carrot cake with cream cheese frosting in town.

Best deserts in town, period, (including Love at First Bite) with a variety of homemade ice creams.

Salads with REAL blue cheese dressing. 1/2 the price of anywhere else good. Best in town.

Excellent CHEAP feta/Greek salads

Very good pizza (for Thailand) and huge servings.

Wonderful Rueben sandwiches with pastrami.

Great BBQ ribs with fresh (not frozen) french fries and difficult to finish.

ONLY good meatball subs and pasta with meatballs available locally.

Multiple specials every day and GOOD stuff, that you actually want to eat.

I can't say enough good things about this restaurant, and I've only dented the menu! :D

We had lunch at Duke’s yesterday. We certainly concur with your review. We had the salmon tacos, sirloin sandwich and pasta with shrimp, chicken and baby vegetables in a wine sauce which even included a healthy dose of capers. Both the pasta and tacos were excellent. The meat was good in the sirloin sandwich, but I found the grilled buttered bread and sauce a little overwhelming.

The portions are huge so we never got around to dessert. -- Ulysses G. --- You must not have eaten for days in order to finish one of the Duke’s meals and have room for dessert!

As reported the prices were very reasonable for the quantity and quality of food. Our total bill for 3 meals (no drinks) was under 600 baht. Thanks for the tip. We will definitely go back.

I seem to recall a small bridge both north and south of Nawarat bridge, but maybe the south one is no longer there? Anyway, to be clear, which way and about how far from Nawarat bridge and which side of road when coming from Nawarat?

Hopefully they have some vegetarian selections?

Is this the place that used to be a Pub?

In a row of 4 storey houses near what used to be called the Blue Note Bar?

Very olde worlde interior design?

I believe it used to be called “The Tavern”, which was owned by another American, which has since departed Thailand or so I have been informed. The name of the former owner, I also believe was named Glenn. Maybe before the Tavern it was the Blue Note?

Regards,

Edited by Bytes

Is this the place that used to be a Pub?

In a row of 4 storey houses near what used to be called the Blue Note Bar?

Very olde worlde interior design?

I believe it used to be called “The Tavern”, which was owned by another American, which has since departed Thailand or so I have been informed. The name of the former owner, I also believe was named Glenn. Maybe before the Tavern it was the Blue Note?

Regards,

You are correct Sir :o I could not remember the name.

The previous owner wanted to sell up to go to Vietnam from what he told me.

I will have to give it a try

Cheers

TP

Which Glen owned the America Restaurant on Thapae, early nineties?

David (AKA "The Duke") and Willy owned the original America Restaurant that opened in 1991 near Thapae Gate- the first decent Farang restaurant in Chiang Mai that wasn't way over-priced ( Picola Roma).

They sold it to Tony and Greg who didn't have much interest in food and it went slowly downhill from there. :o

Which Glen owned the America Restaurant on Thapae, early nineties?

David (AKA "The Duke") and Willy owned the original America Restaurant that opened in 1991 near Thapae Gate- the first decent Farang restaurant in Chiang Mai that wasn't way over-priced ( Picola Roma).

They sold it to Tony and Greg who didn't have much interest in food and it went slowly downhill from there. :o

I've always been terrible with names :D

Anyway, after his chocolate cake, I had assumed it was him :D

I though America was quite good until Greg went home. Tony was the one not so interested, I think.

I've dined at Dukes twice recently and I have to say it was very good. Both times I had the full rack of ribs, and with the salad and sides it was a huge meal for 250b. I thought it was a great value.

I really like the atmosphere as well - smells like good food inside :o.

Can anyone comment on the pizza. The large pizza is as big as a car tire and it looks great.

Best ribs, chocolate cake, and carrot cake I've ever eaten. :o

Fries could have been fresher.

Have you tried the smoked ribs at the Salsa Kitchen? They are my favourite thing to eat in Chiang Mai - they're just so bloody messy! :D

Grant, can you plse tell us where the Salsa kitchen is? :D

Grant, can you plse tell us where the Salsa kitchen is? :o

These requests for directions are one of the most repeated posts and while I find it frustrating I cannot imagine that it is going to change.

Just me I suppose but it would seem logical for anyone submitting a restaurant (or whatever) recommendation to also offer explicit directions. I have found that one has to wade through sometimes pages of comments before we can even begin to guess where to look for this new 'find' and I have almost given up on reading recommendations for this very reason.

But then I have a 32kbs dialup connection here in CM (TOT can be a REAL drag!) and just don't have all day to find simple directions to a local eatery...

Edited by Dustoff

Best ribs, chocolate cake, and carrot cake I've ever eaten. :o

Fries could have been fresher.

Have you tried the smoked ribs at the Salsa Kitchen? They are my favourite thing to eat in Chiang Mai - they're just so bloody messy! :D

If you walk up Ratchviti Road, away from the moat and go up the small soi just after the Irish Pub. Go on about 20 metres or so and on your left you'll see a collection of small restaurants and bar beers. The Salsa Kitchen is the 3rd or 4th on your left. It's signposted from the small soi anyway.

I think that it's a quite a bit cheaper than The Dukes. And you get a real plateful.

These requests for directions are one of the most repeated posts and while I find it frustrating I cannot imagine that it is going to change.

Just me I suppose but it would seem logical for anyone submitting a restaurant (or whatever) recommendation to also offer explicit directions. I have found that one has to wade through sometimes pages of comments before we can even begin to guess where to look for this new 'find' and I have almost given up on reading recommendations for this very reason.

But then I have a 32kbs dialup connection here in CM (TOT can be a REAL drag!) and just don't have all day to find simple directions to a local eatery...

Maybe I could print up a big map, and also some large pics of the salsa kitchen too! :D

Just kidding, why do you only get 32KBS. I am with TOT and csloxinfo and I get 52. Do you have an old modem or something?

I have to join the hordes in recommending the dukes. Thumbs up, way up. I do not eat pork or beef so i may missed out on the specialties, I could hear people raving about the ribs, but enjoyed it immensely just the same. I had the medium pizza (did they mistakenly give me large? it was huge) and it was good (then again I am pizza snob). I found the atmosphere and service to be excellent. I left feeling as if I transferred dimensions for a short time, where the staff was knowledgable, courteous and helpful. Great place, truly a rarity............

Just kidding, why do you only get 32KBS. I am with TOT and csloxinfo and I get 52. Do you have an old modem or something?

A bit off-topic but GOOD question! Everyone we know in this sorta upscale Wang Tan community also gets 52 and we seem to have the trash line.

TOT has been here something like 5 times; all shrug their shoulders after once again verifying that our in-house lines are fine, then they drive away. When we speak to a "mananger", we are told, "Yes, we are upgrading that area in two months; please wait."

They have been telling us that monthly since June of last year when we moved in...

My computer is working very well indeed and when I take it to friend's houses, I get 52kbs immediately. Maybe if I start posting letters in the Bangkok Post or something...? :o

A bit off-topic but GOOD question! Everyone we know in this sorta upscale Wang Tan community also gets 52 and we seem to have the trash line.

TOT has been here something like 5 times; all shrug their shoulders after once again verifying that our in-house lines are fine, then they drive away. When we speak to a "mananger", we are told, "Yes, we are upgrading that area in two months; please wait."

They have been telling us that monthly since June of last year when we moved in...

My computer is working very well indeed and when I take it to friend's houses, I get 52kbs immediately. Maybe if I start posting letters in the Bangkok Post or something...? :o

Over New Year I was at my sister-in-laws place in the boonies and they share a line with another house - I could get between 17 to 36 KBS - but it seemed much slower than that. You don't share a line do you?