Thai Senator Kills Cousin In Hotel Gun Accident

webfact

There have been a large amount of posts regarding this incident that need some clarification.

First, I can confirm that it was his Wife that was killed, her body has been taken to Chiang Mai for an autopsy. (On a side note = this is standard procedure for any farang death in Phrae even death by natural causes). The gun in question was a Jericho 941.

Second, I would like to do something that is alien to some Thai Visa members.

I would like to praise Phrae police Chief Maj General Wisut Wongkham and Phrae Police in general.

I will not go into full details of this case as it is subject to Criminal proceedings, but I understand from very good sources, the charge of death by negligence, is the correct decision.

Phrae Police have always treated the farang here with courtesy, and to the best of my knowledge there have been no attempts at corruption towards us.

On the odd occasion where a farang has been assaulted / or subject to other crimes by a Thai National. Phrae Police have been very helpful in obtaining compensation or taking legal action to protect the ex-pat community.

As Ratcatcher mentioned, we do have a large drug problem in the province that is slowly getting sorted out.

Yes there are problems with the legal system, just like there is in our own Countries, and of course there are some bad cops, just like there is some bad farang.

Today, we remember the life of Chanakarn, and send our respects to her Family, and thank Phrae Police for carrying out there duty to the best of there ability.

• Like 1

Carrying a 9mm sub machine gun while eating lunch. Typical human behavior. We all carry sub machine guns around, right? If this was a civilian killing someone at lunch, is there even a 1% chance the police would rule it an "accident"? Just proves my theory that all Thai officials are above the law, especially then they have the cash to buy their way out of problems. Shame on this pussy. Shame on the Thai authorities. Shame on the National government. Shame on the attorney general (is there such a position in this relatively lawless land that many of us call home?).

Standart dinner situation, nothing to write about cheesy.gif

Why the hell carrie a shit gun like a Uzi around? It's as effective as a knife, you can't hit shit with, it unless you stand 2meters from the target, because of the short barrel and high rate of fire...well or of cause, if you fire it, while having dinner with people, you can hit them biggrin.png

Your average table is less than 2m across, so it would therefore seem idea for dinner time assassinations.

Why the hell carrie a shit gun like a Uzi around? It's as effective as a knife, you can't hit shit with, it unless you stand 2meters from the target, because of the short barrel and high rate of fire...well or of cause, if you fire it, while having dinner with people, you can hit them biggrin.png

It sounds like you don't have any first-hand experience of submachine guns. The UZI has a 10.2 inch barrel, i.e. longer than most pistols. I don't have any personal experience of firing the UZI, but extensive experience of the not dissimilar Swedish 'Carl Gustav M/45' ( http://en.wikipedia....arl_Gustav_M/45 ) which has an 8 inch barrel and the same rate of fire (600 rounds/min). To quote Wikipedia: 'The m/45 is fairly accurate up to 200 meters', which I can attest to.

One more quote from Wikipedia: 'The pistol grip is fitted with a grip safety, making it [i.e. the UZI] difficult to fire accidentally.'

/ Priceless

I actuallly have personal and professional experience/training/working with a submachine gun/'s - and the Uzi is shit. It will normally be carried by scumbags, without the telescoping/folding bolt - and therefore have NO accuracy at all.

Maybe, if you a lucky - first round will hit what you aim at, but it will draw the shooter's arm, up and right(If he is right handed, and no - that barrel (10.2 inch), is not much when you have no "grip" on the pice - unless you are Conan the Barbarian or an diving Israeli agent, that used that pice out of choice on 200 active missions.

Eigther you carrier a good reliable 9mm handgun, like the Beretta 92FS - if you want the ROF and accuracy of a 9mm submachine gun, you will go for the Heckler & Koch MP5 - my personal favorite HK5-SD6(Fixed suppressor and retractable stock).

And if you want to mount all kind of shit, on it like extra grip, go buy the new HK-UMP9.

If doubt you can get a license for it here in Thailand though, as it's not a personal weapon.

Are you posting naked with an erection mate? biggrin.png

Probably not as yet, but you can bet he is working on it.

• Like 2

'One more quote from Wikipedia: 'The pistol grip is fitted with a grip safety, making it [i.e. the UZI] difficult to fire accidentally.'

But not impossible.......obviously............

Look people........he's a Senator so you ain't never ever gonna hear anything else about it.........................

end of story !!

The last time I handled an Uzi was 40 years ago. I was always feeling bad about that thing. Even with both (grip and standard) safeties on "SAFE" the beast could fire rounds when you dropped it accidentally.

There have been a large amount of posts regarding this incident that need some clarification.

First, I can confirm that it was his Wife that was killed, her body has been taken to Chiang Mai for an autopsy. (On a side note = this is standard procedure for any farang death in Phrae even death by natural causes). The gun in question was a Jericho 941.

Second, I would like to do something that is alien to some Thai Visa members.

I would like to praise Phrae police Chief Maj General Wisut Wongkham and Phrae Police in general.

I will not go into full details of this case as it is subject to Criminal proceedings, but I understand from very good sources, the charge of death by negligence, is the correct decision.

Phrae Police have always treated the farang here with courtesy, and to the best of my knowledge there have been no attempts at corruption towards us.

On the odd occasion where a farang has been assaulted / or subject to other crimes by a Thai National. Phrae Police have been very helpful in obtaining compensation or taking legal action to protect the ex-pat community.

As Ratcatcher mentioned, we do have a large drug problem in the province that is slowly getting sorted out.

Yes there are problems with the legal system, just like there is in our own Countries, and of course there are some bad cops, just like there is some bad farang.

Today, we remember the life of Chanakarn, and send our respects to her Family, and thank Phrae Police for carrying out there duty to the best of there ability.

You seem in the know. Was the gun licensed?

sent from my Wellcom A90+

• Like 1

A Thai senator accidentally shot his cousin dead as he tried to put away the 9mm sub-machine gun that he had placed on the table during a family meal, police said Monday

Has got to be the most off the wall sentence I have read, only on a par with "It was the day my grandmother blew up", and that was fiction

Out on Bail. Sentence Suspended. May be the next reports on this if any.

If he drops his immunity AND if he's found guilty, he could stand to get a fine of not more than Bt.10,000.

10,000 baht is the maximum fine for killing someone? Is Thailand still in the 19th century?

It was a family member hence the discount.

If he had shot a servant the fine would only be 2000 Bt

Why in the world would he be authorized to have an Uzi? If he casually puts it on the dinner table, how many other "Thai officials" and non-Thai officials are walking or driving around with Uzis and taking them to meetings? It's not a great loss if they kill themselves, but spraying Uzis around puts normal everyday people and workers at risk.

Actually, if one is an government employee ( of any description ), it is reasonably easy and cheap to buy one of these firearms perfectly legally. To add to this, government employees can purchase most types of firearm at about half the price that anyone else with a firearms license can. Remarkable really.

Senator: Can I show you my UZI?

Cousin: Wow that is cool.

Senator: Right ain't it sweet.

Cousin: Is it loaded?

Senator: Uhh not sure, let me check.

UZI: CLICK BANG!!

Senator: Ur I guess it is at that! Sorry bout that bullet to the stomach and all.

what a complete tool! 10 years? anyone this stupid needs to be put away for the rest of his life to keep the rest of us safe. Senator? good grief!

Do you think he will spend any of that 10 years behind bars ?? ermm.gif

I would be surprised if he did what with parliamentary privilege and rellies not wanting to press charges.Unbelievable.

what a complete tool! 10 years? anyone this stupid needs to be put away for the rest of his life to keep the rest of us safe. Senator? good grief!

Do you think he will spend any of that 10 years behind bars ?? ermm.gif

I would be surprised if he did what with parliamentary privilege and rellies not wanting to press charges.Unbelievable.

He faces a maximum of 10 years imprisonment and a 20,000 baht ($636) fine.

There is a maximum penalty given however no minimum penalty so you know what that means. partytime2.gif

' Goddam ! ! ! the goong is still alive, pass me the salt and the Uzi please...' <deleted>..

I am truly sorry for the death of an innocent but ....... firstly to own one, secondly to carry it in your car, thirdly to take it to the restaurant, fourthly it was loaded.

Thailand; one step forwards to gaining international respect as a developing country, three steps backwards for every day that goes by with mention of schmucks like this and their antics.

No mention of the grief stricken members. The word "grief" was not even hinted at. No grief, or grief is less important than making fast excuses for this asshol_e, who clearly does not understand how to handle a deadly weapon and decides to bring it into an environment where children are probably present. Good thing the bullet wasn't a through and through and into someone else at such close range.

You cannot write this stuff.

• Like 1

Actually, according to the Thai firearms law, he would not be able to have a license for any weapon, since he has a physical impairment.

But, laws only apply to others, not to senators.

He was just training for the PARALYMPIC shooting event.

Edited by SuneeTH
  • Like 2

BCC reports it was his secretary http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-19247135

and they would know?

their wording makes it clear they are only passing on second hand information. Maybe they should have added ''we are unable to confirm this report."

It is amazing how the story is changing. The different ways of referring to his victim unfortunate casualty is just understandable. They could all be true. But the different guns are not even similar - in name or looks. This sort of story change is usually associated with cover-ups.

Any way, it seems he had a gun – that point has never been challenged – at a mother’s day meal. That seems odd. It was loaded; that is sinister. But as a poster has mentioned, nobody in their right mind would set out to dispose of someone on that kind of occasion and in front of relatives.

Unless - it is a cunning way of ensuring that the case will be dismissed quickly as no witness will squeak about it or anything else, ever.

Any way, it seems he had a gun – that point has never been challenged – at a mother’s day meal. That seems odd. It was loaded; that is sinister. But as a poster has mentioned, nobody in their right mind would set out to dispose of someone on that kind of occasion and in front of relatives.

Unless - it is a cunning way of ensuring that the case will be dismissed quickly as no witness will squeak about it or anything else, ever.

Not that I´m suggesting the cases are similar but...

It´s been proven that in Thailand you can shoot, nay, execute someone in front of dozens of witnesses and as long as you (or your daddy) has the right connections and methods of persuasion with witnesses you can not only walk out unpunished, you may even get promoted.

In all seriousness, if I may add my view, one could also consider being negligent or under the influence or overly wrought, or even sleepy and causing death or bodily harm to yourself or those with you. This is all the same thing, but because of the context this article is being reported in, it is seen a ludicrous, rather than sad. I say this in regards to driving motor vehicles off the road or off bridges or overpasses.

The younger they are, the more sympathy they to exact. The older they are, the less people care; but it is all the same to me; poor judgment, or lacking the ability to even make a judgment for whatever reason.

I thought it was orginally designed for tank crews, to give rapid fire cover as they exited a knocked out tank. "Point and spray". Not the sort of self protection weapon one might carry to dinner!