Russian Territorial Claims

Capealava

Visiting Koh Larn on Sunday I was greeted by a large Russian flag that dated back to i's Communist era. It is common knowledge that Russians are coming to Thailand as tourists in ever expanding numbers and that Pattaya is usually their first Thailand experience before moving outward to other provinces. ( Phuket, Koh Chang, Koh Samiu etc)

The use of the red star and sickle was discontinued in 1991 at the fall of the Communist USSR (Soviet Union)

In several countries in Eastern Europe, there are laws that define the hammer and sickle as the symbol of a "totalitarian and criminal ideology", and the public display of the hammer and sickle and other communist symbols such as the red star is considered a criminal offence. Hungary,[3]Lithuania[4] have banned the symbol along with other communist symbols.

Of course you see the flags of many nationalities flying on the Beaches of Thailand. Norway , England, Sweden , Germany, etc, and off course the American Flag is popular for use in Bikinis, t-shirts, and shorts. These flags are shown in the spirit of “Fun” and are not making a claim.

I have to admit this flag flying on the beach of Koh Larn disturbed me. I felt a bit threatened by this flag. It is not the Flag of Russian now. Both the flag and the Russian National anthem was changed in 1991. The hammer and sickle has a threatening aspect to it. The creation of ‘Russian areas” such as Jomtien and Pratunmak areas, Hotels such as the Ambassador known to be virtually "Russian only” have increasingly isolated the Russian Tourists form tourists of other countries and in many ways from Thai culture in general.

I am sure the massive increase of international tourists from Russian will eat away at this isolationism and we will see a new more informed worldly Russian Tourist gradually appear on the world stage.

OP sounds totally insecure and small minded.....I wonder if (s)he is offended by Che Guevara t-shirts as well

The USSR was an oppressive regime that was responsible for the deaths of millions, the Hammer and Sickle is representative of that era.

Edited by giddyup

Russia and Soviet is something different.

Communism and its symbols is in most countries not illegal. To forbid a ideology is totalitarian

The ideology itself is neither totalitarian nor criminal in any way, if you read the books. Just what the leaders made out of it.

I would say capitalist America started far more wars than communist Soviet.

On deads I guess with Stalin gets the victory.

I have no problem with soviet flag, usa flag, che TShirt or Swastika, or the christian cross (in its name more people cruel than Hitler and Stalin did were done). Really not important....

OP sounds totally insecure and small minded.....I wonder if (s)he is offended by Che Guevara t-shirts as well

The USSR was an oppressive regime that was responsible for the deaths of millions, the Hammer and Sickle is representative of that era.

Hammer and Sickle is the symbol for labor and farmer. Therefor for example the Austrian eagle holds it as well, but by no means it is communist.

Hammer and Sickle is the symbol for labor and farmer. Therefor for example the Austrian eagle holds it as well, but by no means it is communist.

Hammer and Sickle is also the symbol of most communist counties flags too.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Communist+flags&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENTH423&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xAcqUKSKEIWnrAeYvIGIDA&ved=0CFEQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=630

Russians are an odd bunch, I try to not prejudge any group but have had a disproportionate number of unpleasant encounters with them. I now try to keep my distance. I was surprised to see a red hammer and sickle flag flying at a wat in Laos.

Russians are an odd bunch, I try to not prejudge any group but have had a disproportionate number of unpleasant encounters with them. I now try to keep my distance. I was surprised to see a red hammer and sickle flag flying at a wat in Laos.

Why surprised?

It's a communist country.

• Like 1

Why surprised?

It's a communist country.

only surprised by the mixing of commie symbolism with religious symbolism.

To the OP ... what is your question?

Point is: he got trained to fight the Soviet invasion and now he found out that the Soviets conquered Koh Larn. Panic now, take the guns, fight them back....

When I was drafted I had such officer...he saw everywhere soviets...and the tourists are in fact all KGB.

Edited by h90

Ambassador City is hardly Russian only ..... if you are refering to some other place maybe it is. But so what ? The Hilton Hotel in bkk is mostly caucation bisnessmen , the Novetel in downtown mostly Arab ect ..... Like it or not people tend to like to be around people like themselves. I fail to see the purpose or problem with concering yourself with humans behaving like humans.

PS............. people wear Nazi symbols and other things like that just to annoy you not because they are usually Nazis or Soviet Comunists.

Edited by MrRealDeal

If it was being flown on the back of a T-90 battle tank, I may take heed, but otherwise let it fly! I am not sure which country the OP is from, perhaps he has grievances of the hammer & sickle, but I have no issues with it personally

If it is legal to do so, the authorities aren't going to do anything about it anyway