• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

forget Gasohol on Motorbikes. it is the worst you can do

tousends of Engines are demaged with gasohol, most the valve and/or piston

I can not explain the problem in English, I can exactly explain in german

Maybe the German bikes aren't made as well?

Seems most bikes produced here in Thailand have a sticker stating 91 gasohol. I think i will stick with the mfg recommendation...

I tried gasahol once with my ER6n and got more knocking on acceleration. Never tried it again. I'd rather pay more and get better performance and less risk of engine damage from knocking. Tony (hey where are you, Tony?) once told me he never had this problem with his ER. Maybe I wasn't keeping my rpms up. Anyway, I don't get the knock with benzene.

I have used Gasohol in my Suzuki Skydrive and Step for over 3 yrs they still run perfectly so in my opinion Gasohol has no bad effects on the engines, always use Benzine in CBR250 but would not think twice about using Gasohol if I had to.

Seems most bikes produced here in Thailand have a sticker stating 91 gasohol. I think i will stick with the mfg recommendation...

There is no problem with using Gasohol E10 it has not damaged my bikes or car.

Never heard of any engines being damaged by E10 Gasohol!!

Most bikes if not all state E10 gasohol or Benzine.

95 Benzine is best, but failing that, I go for 95 Gasahol or 91 Benzine. personally I wouldn't use 91 Gasahol as the only time I tried it my bike ran like shit.

95 Benzine is very difficult to get, 91 benzine is available everywhere as is gasohol, none of my bikes or my car has run badly on any fuel I have used. Again nothing wrong with using E10 the Ethanol content is small and will not damage your bike or car!!

Yes, it is a struggle to find 95 Benzin, some Shell stations still have it though. Most of the time I go with 95 Gasahol. The biggest issue I have with gasahol is that when I get back from being offshore for a month or so, the bike sometimes runs a bit rough until I give it a fresh fill up.

Yes, it is a struggle to find 95 Benzin, some Shell stations still have it though. Most of the time I go with 95 Gasahol. The biggest issue I have with gasahol is that when I get back from being offshore for a month or so, the bike sometimes runs a bit rough until I give it a fresh fill up.

I am sure there is a problem with leaving gasohol standing for a long time, I think it can separate which is probably the cause of your bad running, if you are going away for any length of time it would be best to drain or for a Few days before you go away use benzine!!

Edited by kawapower
  • Like 1

I am sure there is a problem with leaving gasohol standing for a long time, I think it can separate which is probably the cause of your bad running, if you are going away for any length of time it would be best to drain or for a Few days before you go away use benzine!!

Yes, I have heard it separates quickly. A fresh fill sorts the problem out anyway...I'm too lazy to be bothered draining the tank before I head off, but I do leave it fairly low, so when I do my first fill up, I have a high proportion of fresh juice in the tank.

Gasohol not only seperates but is hydrophilic. Meaning it draws moisture out of the air. In limited amounts that's actually a net benefit as the water actually cools the combustion chamber, increases combustion pressure (as water does not compress all that well) and lowers emissions. Obviously an excessive amount leads to improper combustion cycles.

Ethanol is also a corrosive. Meaning that older fuel lines not designed for it are eaten away. Ethanol has about 65% of the combustion energy of benzine (and coincidentally 2/3 of the vapour pressure meaning that instead of the 100% combustion pressure of full benzine you get 2/3 of 10% plus 90% or 96% of the combustion pressure that pure benzine has), and a proper air fuel ratio would be ~9:1 versus the 14.5:1 of a benzine engine. Since 90% of the fuel in E10 is benzine the AFR will be at 14.5 or so and thus incredibly rich for the ethanol. This actually wastes ethanol and makes it burn more poorly the same as if you tried to run a straight gasoline engine at an AFR of 21:1. Latent heat is also higher; meaning you need a higher temperature to properly atomise the ethanol.

Sorry for going off on a technical tangent, but that's what I do...

<deleted> me What!!

Gasohol not only seperates but is hydrophilic. Meaning it draws moisture out of the air. In limited amounts that's actually a net benefit as the water actually cools the combustion chamber, increases combustion pressure (as water does not compress all that well) and lowers emissions. Obviously an excessive amount leads to improper combustion cycles.

Ethanol is also a corrosive. Meaning that older fuel lines not designed for it are eaten away. Ethanol has about 65% of the combustion energy of benzine (and coincidentally 2/3 of the vapour pressure meaning that instead of the 100% combustion pressure of full benzine you get 2/3 of 10% plus 90% or 96% of the combustion pressure that pure benzine has), and a proper air fuel ratio would be ~9:1 versus the 14.5:1 of a benzine engine. Since 90% of the fuel in E10 is benzine the AFR will be at 14.5 or so and thus incredibly rich for the ethanol. This actually wastes ethanol and makes it burn more poorly the same as if you tried to run a straight gasoline engine at an AFR of 21:1. Latent heat is also higher; meaning you need a higher temperature to properly atomise the ethanol.

<deleted> me What!!

Beznine = Good

Gasohol = Bad

OK?

Well that answer certainly beats your previous one!!

Edited by kawapower

Please explain: Gasohol is bad so why have my 2 bikes always run well on gasohol never had a problem in 3 yrs!

Gasohol requires farmland to make. Not only that but requires fossil fuels (in the form of fuel for tractors and trucks, fertilisers for crops, and processing), but you get less power and is less efficient. Recent bikes will burn it, but it is not an optimum fuel.

It's kind of like a fat girlfriend. Sure it eventually does the same, but it's not as good.

• Like 2

Please explain: Gasohol is bad so why have my 2 bikes always run well on gasohol never had a problem in 3 yrs!

Gasohol requires farmland to make. Not only that but requires fossil fuels (in the form of fuel for tractors and trucks, fertilisers for crops, and processing), but you get less power and is less efficient. Recent bikes will burn it, but it is not an optimum fuel.

It's kind of like a fat girlfriend. Sure it eventually does the same, but it's not as good.

Ah thanks for that simple explanation!!

Ha-Ha very well said.

Yes have to agree on that, don't know why Thailand is so keen on Gasohol? Many people in the world are starving and we use farmland for fuel?? Money talks huh.

I always use Benzine 91 if they have it, otherwise I use Gasohol 95 if I have to. If I'm not close to empty then I'll just avoid 'Gasohol only' stations until I see one selling Benzine.

I think the bikes would 'probably' be OK with Gasohol but I prefer not to risk it and it gives me less kpl so there's no point anyway.

I always use Benzine 91 if they have it, otherwise I use Gasohol 95 if I have to. If I'm not close to empty then I'll just avoid 'Gasohol only' stations until I see one selling Benzine.

I think the bikes would 'probably' be OK with Gasohol but I prefer not to risk it and it gives me less kpl so there's no point anyway.

Less kpl but then again, it's cheaper. Ultimately, does anyone know which is the better value in terms of kpl? (excluding other factors as damage to engine etc)

i'm not so sure about that. I have a Honda Airblade and a CBR. I use the Airblade to travel to work and when I use benzine I have to fill up again in no time at all, at least a day earlier than when using G91. I've done long journeys on my CBR and Gasohol91 lasts far far longer than the benzine. I don't notice any difference in acc' or top speed etc either. The Honda book says to use either and the tank has a gasohol 91 sticker on it, so I'm pretty sure modern bikes here can hanlde it without any problem. Thai Honda mechanics and others on here who say 'no G91' are going on what they know on older bikes but that doesn't apply to new bikes.

Dave Boo (or others) will probably call me an idiot, but i will trust the manufacturer more than them and like I've said, benzine is not more fuel efficient. Perhaps I am burning only 96% of my fuel instead of 100% but I sure as hell don't notice, however, I do notice when I'm spending more money more often when using benzine.

• Like 1

<deleted> me What!!

Sorry??? For what? You gave the ONLY worthwhile response. I had no idea about the different optimum AFR for ethanol. However, you mixed up rich and lean (probably inadvertently). The higher the AFR the leaner the mix, lower AFR, richer. So I guess ethanol needs a richer mix to combust properly. another reason why I just stick with benzine 91, which I note was up to 45 baht/liter yesterday at Caltex! I thought, wait a minute, how did you get 640 baht (a new record) into my ER6n? Then I noticed it was up.

• Like 1