O Visa In Second British Passport

Hi All,

As A Brit who travels a lot I am allowed to have 2 passports. I have 1 passport that has 2 pages remaining which contains my O visa. I also have a second passport that is new and only has one stamp in it. Since my annual visa extension is due early next month is there any problem in using the second passport for the visa stamp?

Any good advice appreciated.

Cheers, Rick

It appears you have an extension of stay rather than a visa (from immigration rather than from Consulate) and that is normally only transferred into a replacement passport (which is not what your second passport would be) so expect it will cause some questions. Feeling lucky? Do you have time to get replacement passport? Or is early next month the last date you can do?

Hi Lop,

Thanks for the reply. I still have a few pages in my current passport so I think I can get my extension in that. My concern is mainly in how I can transfer this to my second passport. I guess it will take about 4 weeks to renew my current passport and that's why I thought of using my second passport for the extension. I have been married to my Thai wife for 12 years. My plan was to get the visa in the second passport and then renew my current as soon as possible. Is this workable?

Thanks

Hi Lop,

Thanks for the reply. I still have a few pages in my current passport so I think I can get my extension in that. My concern is mainly in how I can transfer this to my second passport. I guess it will take about 4 weeks to renew my current passport and that's why I thought of using my second passport for the extension. I have been married to my Thai wife for 12 years. My plan was to get the visa in the second passport and then renew my current as soon as possible. Is this workable?

Thanks

Hi Lop,

Thanks

Hi Lop,

Thanks

Not sure if it helps but I'm on a multi O married. When I got a new passport I went over the border at poipet, They transferred the details of the multi O into my new passport and on coming back into Thailand I gave them both and got the 90 days as usual.

Thought I'd post as even if it not really your situation it may be helpful to others

• Like 1

When you are issued a second passport for the reasons you have stated they advise you not to mix and match their use. It is for your convenience.

I do not know about the UK but for US second passports you sign a declaration that you will not carry both at the same time as it Will cause problems.

Visa and extensions are handled differently - extensions must be transferred at immigration and notation of old (invalid passport) is made in new passport. As this will not be the case suspect immigration will have extreme heartburn with such a request to put into a second active passport. I would just get in current passport and then replace and transfer into the replacement as is normal practice if there is not enough time to obtain replacement passport now (believe about 3 weeks is normal for UK). It costs nothing to transfer except a visit to immigration and a few copies.

Thanks for the help guys. I am in Vietnam at the moment, so I will not have time to apply for a new passport until I return to Thailand next week. I might also have to leave Thailand again in early September, so I will get my extension in my current passport on the 18th September and take things from there. It looks like I am in a bit of a mess with this.

Thanks again.

OK guys more opinions and advice if possible. I have decided to send a copy of my current passport back to the UK via HK as is the process. I still have my current passport in hand.The passport will be cancelled as soon as it is received and a new one will be issued in around 3 weeks. Given that the passport is no longer valid do you think that it would be possible to use my second passport for travel accompanied by my current cancelled passport that contains my O visa extension.

Thanks.

Unless you can convince them your second passport is replacement for the current passport and have extension and re-entry permit transferred do not believe it would fly.

Thanks Lop I thought that might be the case, so I guess that I am just clutching at straws. I might have to travel in the meantime, but I suppose that I will have to cancel any business trips until I get my new passport.

Unless you can convince them your second passport is replacement for the current passport and have extension and re-entry permit transferred do not believe it would fly.

Thanks Lop I thought that might be the case, so I guess that I am just clutching at straws. I might have to travel in the meantime, but I suppose that I will have to cancel any business trips until I get my new passport.

I'm in a very similar situation to you and also have 2 almost-full UK passports.

I would appreciate if you could post how long it takes to receive your replacement UK passport.

Thanks in advance.

• 11 months later...