Visa For Thaksin Issued Under U.S. Laws: U.S. Ambassador Kristie Kenney

webfact

Thaksin's visa issued under US laws: US Ambassador

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The issuing of visa for former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was done under the United States laws which had no bearing on domestic politics in Thailand, US Ambassador Kristie Kenney said Tuesday.

Commenting on the Thaksin's ongoing visit to the US, Kenney said every year some 50,000 Thai citizens received visas granted in strict complaince to the existing laws and regulations.

She said the US was honour to have the bilateral cooperation on extradition and criminal assistance.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-14

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Politics not involved in visa given to Thaksin : US Ambassador

The Nation

30188304-01_big.jpg

File photo : Thais protested against US' issuing visa for Thaksin in front of US embassy on August 10.

BANGKOK: -- The issuing of a visa for former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was done under United States laws and had no bearing on domestic politics in Thailand, US Ambassador Kristie Kenney said Tuesday.

Commenting on Thaksin's ongoing visit to the US, Kenney said every year some 50,000 Thai citizens receive visas granted in strict compliance with existing laws and regulations.

She said the US was honoured to have bilateral cooperation with Thailand on extradition and criminal assistance.

She noted that the US had always responded to Thai government requests made under the two legal agreements, hinting that there had been no extradition request in Thaksin's case.

She ruled out any adverse implications, saying the visa granted to Thaksin was not a political issue.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-14

She ruled out any adverse implications, saying the visa granted to Thaksin was not a political issue.

I'm willing to believe it was just an honest mistake, a bureaucratic mishap. Granting 50,000 visas a year to Thai people these things happen {insert some smiley here}

• Like 1

It does make one wonder if he filled out the visa application in an honest manner. Or even if he had to fill out a visa application like a mere mortal.

The Thaksin USA trip OBVIOUSLY had a political motivation for Thaksin. Even though based on the media of small red crowds and large protests, it appears it may be have seriously backfired. It's hard to believe it didn't also have a diplomatic motivation for the American powers that approved this visa.

Edited by Jingthing

I can understand why the USA isn't extraditing if the current Thai government isn't asking for that (why would they, the PM is his sister in case you didn't knoww00t.gif ) but I don't approve of the special treatment for the granting of the visa. Considering how many law abiding Thais are denied tourist visas to the USA, this is a sickening display of hypocrisy. Who can possibly believe that the USA government didn't know there was a huge political implication to allowing his visit? Who can possibly believe that the USA government thought he was coming to the USA for an innocent tourism holiday?

On the other hand, they bomb other countries....so the harm done for Thailand is in compare nothing.

Heck they even let in the the Saudi government......

She said the US was honoured to have bilateral cooperation with Thailand on extradition and criminal assistance.

She noted that the US had always responded to Thai government requests made under the two legal agreements, hinting that there had been no extradition request in Thaksin's case.

The Foreign Ministry, the Office of the Attorney-General, and the Royal Thai Police had collectively failed to do their job by issuing an extradition request for Thaksin, Democrat MP Thepthai Senapong said Tuesday.

http://www.nationmul...o-30188322.html

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 2

I can understand why the USA isn't extraditing if the current Thai government isn't asking for that (why would they, the PM is his sister in case you didn't knoww00t.gif ) but I don't approve of the special treatment for the granting of the visa. Considering how many law abiding Thais are denied tourist visas to the USA, this is a sickening display of hypocrisy. Who can possibly believe that the USA government didn't know there was a huge political implication to allowing his visit? Who can possibly believe that the USA government thought he was coming to the USA for an innocent tourism holiday?

On the other hand, they bomb other countries....so the harm done for Thailand is in compare nothing.

Saudi and the USA are close allies. So of course they would let in Saudi government officials. Thaksin isn't an official Thai official and he does have those legal problems that would surely disqualify a normal applicant.

Saudi and the USA are close allies. So of course they would let in Saudi government officials. Thaksin isn't an official Thai official and he does have those legal problems that would surely disqualify a normal applicant.

However, Thaksin has money, lots of it and controls Thailand at the moment, so the U.S.A. will walk softly and carry a wet noodle.

• Like 1

However, Thaksin has money, lots of it and controls Thailand at the moment, so the U.S.A. will walk softly and carry a wet noodle.

Scruples for sale.

Buyers abound

Shame on you Ambassador Kristie Kenney .

Why shame on her? That visa wasn't issued at Wireless. As for saying the visa was issued according to U.S. law, the fact that he was granted a visa already says that.

Thaksin is the one who got elected. He is only a criminal of the Govt who illegally overthrew the freely elected old Govt. I don't much care one way or the other, but that's the way I see it. I really don't know but I guess he is kind of a leftist, a populist, and we all know where that ends up, bankruptcy every time, and the US is on the same path if things don't change fast. However Thailand is not the US. Woman and older people simple will not get certain jobs. The barriers are higher to advance for most of the country. So it surprises me to hear myself say this, but for Thailand, some wealth re-distribution may be a good thing.

• Like 2

To defend the ambassador a little bit, I seriously doubt that SHE made this call and she is only doing her diplomatic job in defending it. Doesn't mean she is telling the truth ... obviously.

Was she blinking Morse Code for "This is B.S." as she gave the interview?

• Like 1

A post that contained foreign language has been removed, this is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language except for the Thai Language forum where Thai is allowed. And no, it is not my responsibility or other forum members responsibility to Google it and figure it out.

• Like 1

Thaksin is the one who got elected. He is only a criminal of the Govt who illegally overthrew the freely elected old Govt. I don't much care one way or the other, but that's the way I see it. I really don't know but I guess he is kind of a leftist, a populist, and we all know where that ends up, bankruptcy every time, and the US is on the same path if things don't change fast. However Thailand is not the US. Woman and older people simple will not get certain jobs. The barriers are higher to advance for most of the country. So it surprises me to hear myself say this, but for Thailand, some wealth re-distribution may be a good thing.

"However Thailand is not the US. Woman and older people simple will not get certain jobs. "

1. Thaksin got elected but was not P.M. when the coup occurred in 2006. fact.

2. Thaksin IS a criminal. Bail jumping is a crime. fact.

3. Yingluck Shinawatra , who we believe is a woman, is Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Thailand. fact.

4. Wealth distribution is getting more unlikely as the government seems bent on bankrupting Thailand. fact.

P.S. Let us know when the Untied States of America elects its first female president.smile.png

• Like 1

"However Thailand is not the US. Woman and older people simple will not get certain jobs. "

3. Yingluck Shinawatra , who we believe is a woman, is Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Thailand. fact.

4. Wealth distribution is getting more unlikely as the government seems bent on bankrupting Thailand. fact.

P.S. Let us know when the Untied States of America elects its first female president.smile.png

I like how you write 'fact' at the end of your opinions. false.

• Like 1

I like how you write 'fact' at the end of your opinions. false.

Which one? Or all?

Thanks.