Ecuador President Says No Decision Made On Assange Asylum Request

News_Editor

Ecuador president says no decision made on Assange asylum request < br />

2012-08-15 05:35:11 GMT+7 (ICT)

QUITO, ECUADOR (BNO NEWS) -- Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa on Tuesday said no decision has been made yet whether the South American country will grant political asylum to Julian Assange, the founder of the controversial whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks who has sought refuge at the country's embassy in London.

Earlier on Tuesday, the British newspaper The Guardian quoted an unnamed official within the Ecuadorian government as saying that it has been decided to give Assange asylum. "Ecuador will grant asylum to Julian Assange," the official told the newspaper, giving no other details.

But Ecuadorian officials moved quickly to reject the report, saying the asylum request is still being considered. "The government of Ecuador has not yet made a decision regarding the asylum request of Julian Assange," government official Marco Antonio Bravo said. "What is now circulating in the media are rumors."

Correa also dismissed the report on his official Twitter account, saying he is still awaiting a report from the foreign ministry. "Rumors about asylum for Assange are false. There is still no decision about the matter," he said. "I have not yet received a report from the foreign ministry."

On Monday evening, Correa said a decision about the asylum request is expected later this week. "Hopefully on Wednesday there will be a meeting in which they give me all the reports, and this must be taken with great responsibility," he said during an interview on state television. "Hopefully this week we can make an announcement in respect to this matter."

Assange entered the Ecuadorian Embassy in London on June 19 to request political asylum from the Ecuadorian government, claiming the government of Australia - where he was born - has abandoned him and that he is being persecuted politically. He also fears being extradited to the United States, where he believes he could be sentenced to death if he is indicted.

"Such statements make it impossible for me to return to my home country and puts me in a state of helplessness by being requested to be interrogated by the Kingdom of Sweden, where its top officials have openly attacked me, and investigated me for political crimes in the United States of America, a country where the death penalty for such offenses is still in force," Assange said in his request on June 19.

Assange's choice to seek asylum at the Ecuadorian Embassy surprised many, especially because of Ecuador's bad record when it comes to press freedom and accusations that President Rafael Correa is leading a relentless campaign against free speech, but senior government officials have previously welcomed WikiLeaks.

In November 2010, then-deputy foreign minister Kintto Lucas invited Assange to visit Ecuador and offered him residency. "We are open to giving him residency in Ecuador, without any problem and without any conditions," he said at the time, although the Ecuadorian government later said Lucas was speaking on his personal behalf.

Nonetheless, Correa voiced his support for WikiLeaks in a recent interview with Assange for his TV series 'World Tomorrow.' "We have nothing to hide. If anything, the WikiLeaks have made us stronger, as the main accusations made by the (U.S.) embassy were due to our excessive nationalism and defense of the sovereignty of the Ecuadorian government," he said.

Correa added: "On the other hand, many WikiLeaks cables spoke about the interests in the national media about the power groups who go to seek help, to foster relationships with foreign embassies, and benefit from the embassy's contacts. Here we fear absolutely nothing, let them publish everything they have about the Ecuadorian Government."

After Assange entered the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, Scotland Yard said Assange has breached one of his bail conditions and will be arrested once he leaves the embassy compound. "As Mr Assange is in the Ecuadorean embassy he is in diplomatic territory and beyond the reach of the police," Britain's foreign office said in a statement. Police officers have since been stationed outside the embassy compound.

Assange has been fighting extradition from Britain to Sweden where he faces allegations of sexual molestation, unlawful coercion and rape. A London court dismissed Assange's appeal in November 2011 and the UK Supreme Court in June rejected his bid to reopen the case.

The accusations are unrelated to Assange's work for the whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks which brought diplomatic earthquakes to the United States when it began releasing classified documents it had obtained. Assange has claimed the cases have been politically-linked, arguing that the sexual encounters with the two women in Sweden were consensual.

Wikileaks' first big scoop was on April 5, 2010, when it released a classified video which showed a 2007 U.S. helicopter attack in Iraq which left several civilians killed, including two unarmed Reuters journalists. Assange previously said he had been told to expect 'dirty tricks' from the Pentagon, including 'sex traps' to ruin his reputation.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-08-15

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's taking Ecuador this long, man ? Come on, Ecuador, do the right thing and say 'Yes' to his request.

Gosh, he's been at the embassy grounds for so long. I wonder how he's been spending his days there.

Julian Assange granted asylum: reports

Julian Assange will be granted asylum by the president of Ecuador, according to reports.

UK newspaper the Guardian said an official in Ecuador had confirmed the asylum decision.

The WikiLeaks founder has been staying at Ecuador's embassy in London since mid-June as he awaits a response from President Rafael Correa.

It is unclear whether Townsville-born Assange will be able to leave Britain and fly to Ecuador, or whether he will stay in the embassy.

http://news.ninemsn....d-asylum-report

Edited by chooka

Did you read the OP? blink.png

But Ecuadorian officials moved quickly to reject the report, saying the asylum request is still being considered. "The government of Ecuador has not yet made a decision regarding the asylum request of Julian Assange," government official Marco Antonio Bravo said. "What is now circulating in the media are rumors."

A lot of people celebrating in Australia, but it may be a little early, just wait for official confirmation. Lets hope that he has slipped through the hands of the Americans who want him to be put to death. Maybe there really is a God.

Reports that Julian Assange has been granted asylum

Posted by: 3AW NEWS | 15 August, 2012 - 8:03 AM

Assange375.jpg

8AM UPDATE: There are conflicting reports about whether or not Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has been granted asylum in Ecuador.

Britain's Guardian newspaper is reporting Ecuador's President has agreed to Assange's request for asylum.

But Wikileaks twitter feed says no decision has been made.

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breaking-news-blog/reports-that-julian-assange-has-been-granted-asylum/20120815-247f0.html

• Like 1

Did you read the OP? blink.png

Yes I read the report. I merely posted a link to a conflicting story, I didn't write the story and made no comment on any of the articles. I am sorry if I offended you in anyway it was not my intention.

• Like 1

It is reasonably pretty good in the embassy which is exactly where he will be spending many years if Equador decides to hide him from facing jusice.

He still won't be able to go outside the grounds, but at least the Americans can't execute him and that is what he was seeking asylum on. The persecution he was facing from the U.S.

Actually, he is evading sex charges in Sweden. That is why he jumped bail.

This is about political asylum and not whether he jumped bail. He couldn't seek ayslum without breaching bail. You can't make an omelete without breaking an egg. He didn't seek asylum because of sex allegations he sought asylum because he was facing death at the hands of the Americans. He would not be granted asylum on the grounds that he may or may not of had consensual sex. He may however be granted Political Asylum on the grounds that he faces persecution or harm. I am sure that Ecuador have investigated the possibility of persecution by the U.S and if they find it justified then he may very well be granted asyslum.

• Like 1

Actually his arguments for asylum are all over the place. He is Australian and I have yet to see where he can establish a foundation for this claim:

"...claiming the government of Australia - where he was born - has abandoned him and that he is being persecuted politically...."

Actually his arguments for asylum are all over the place. He is Australian and I have yet to see where he can establish a foundation for this claim:

"...claiming the government of Australia - where he was born - has abandoned him and that he is being persecuted politically...."

Julian Assange did a fantastic job. With the help of wikileak, you can get an insight of what was going on in Thailand fro the past 10 years or so that you can't get nowhere else.

That he is being persecuted politically is a no brainer. He should have a statue in every journalist school all over the world.

Edited by JurgenG
  • Like 1

That sounds like a conspiracy theory. whistling.gif

No it is not a conspiracy theory at all. It has been reported in numerous media outlets the "HE" is in fear of being extradicted to the U.S where he faces the possibility of execution. Niether you nor I or anyone else for that matter can dispute the fears or feelings of terror in this mans mind. His thoughts are his and his alone. If Equador establish that his fears have merit and he will be persecuted or harmed by the U.S and grant him asylum on humanitarian grounds then so be it (Personally I think they will)

"We see Assange's request as a humanitarian issue,'' the official told the Guardian.

"It is clear that when Julian entered the embassy there was already some sort of deal," the official added.

In an interview late on Monday, Correa said he expected to respond to Assange's political asylum application later this week.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/ecuador-will-grant-assange-asylum-report-is-false-according-to-president-rafael-correa/story-fnd134gw-1226450535264

The U.S. government has not sought the death penalty against Mr. Assange, nor have charges been laid, let alone there having been a trial with a death sentence judgement. Even more astounding is that Mr. Assange's execution would be a first. The last execution for espionage was at the height of the cold war in the 1950's and they were convicted for passing atomc bomb secrets. Mr. Assange is alleged to have raped someone. . He has to deal with it, or resign himself to eating kabob takeaway and Ecuadorian food and worrying about his future if there is a regime change in Ecuador. Governments change and Mr. Assange knows it. Even if granted asylum, he cannot leave the UK.

• Like 1

of goodness sake stop exaggerating as you always do. He has not been charged with anything

and considering there is absolutely no evidence and considering also the two women

boasted about their " conquest " of Julian Assange I doubt if there ever will be charges rolleyes.gif

http://articles.time...-women-condom

Edited by midas
  • Like 1

Julian Assange did a fantastic job. With the help of wikileak, you can get an insight of what was going on in Thailand fro the past 10 years or so that you can't get nowhere else.

That he is being persecuted politically is a no brainer. He should have a statue in every journalist school all over the world.

I really don't have an opinion about what he has/hasn't done. My comments are directed only at his asylum claim.

He is from Australia, but he seems to be seeking asylum from Australia as well as the UK, Sweden and the US (even though there is nothing concrete to say the US plans to attempt to have him extradited).

Edited by Scott

The U.S. government has not sought the death penalty against Mr. Assange, nor have charges been laid, let alone there having been a trial with a death sentence judgement. Even more astounding is that Mr. Assange's execution would be a first. The last execution for espionage was at the height of the cold war in the 1950's and they were convicted for passing atomc bomb secrets. Mr. Assange is alleged to have raped someone. . He has to deal with it, or resign himself to eating kabob takeaway and Ecuadorian food and worrying about his future if there is a regime change in Ecuador. Governments change and Mr. Assange knows it. Even if granted asylum, he cannot leave the UK.

if you look at the Daniel Ellsberg Case yes Assange would have a pretty good chance of being acquitted.

But we all know USA could in the meantime lock him up indefinitely and that's what they really want

I really don't have an opinion about what he has/hasn't done. My comments are directed only at his asylum claim.

He is from Australia, but he seems to be seeking asylum from Australia as well as the UK, Sweden and the US (even though there is nothing concrete to say the US plans to attempt to have him extradited).

The U.S could put an end to all the controversy and end his asylum plea by simply comming out a saying, We are not interested in Julian and we will not make any attempt to extradite from any country or seek prosecution. We are not interested in Julian and he is free to go. Whole issue resolved and end of debate. Very simple for them to do Yes/No

Why would the US come out and say they don't want him and he's free to go? They have no said that they do want him. There is no concrete evidence to support any kind of an arrest warrant or attempt to have him extradited to the US.

His first stop would have been in Sweden to answer for charges there. The Swedish government has the authority to decide about sending him to another country. He should have asked Sweden to assure no further extradition to the US.

of goodness sake stop exaggerating as you always do. He has not been charged with anything

and considering there is absolutely no evidence and considering also the two women

boasted about their " conquest " of Julian Assange I doubt if there ever will be charges rolleyes.gif

http://articles.time...-women-condom

He has not been charged with anything by the US government either.thumbsup.gif

if you look at the Daniel Ellsberg Case yes Assange would have a pretty good chance of being acquitted.

But we all know USA could in the meantime lock him up indefinitely and that's what they really want

How do you know what the US government really wants? You might be stretching the envelope a little bit there.

boasted about their " conquest " of Julian Assange I doubt if there ever will be charges

If that were true,why would he jump bail to avoid being questioned about the sex charges and why would he be hiding out from the authorities?

This is pretty comical really. He claims to be innocent, but is doing his best to get stuck in one building for the rest of his life to avoid getting sent to Sweden which is known for having one of the mosy honest, most independent justice systems in the whole world. whistling.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

boasted about their " conquest " of Julian Assange I doubt if there ever will be charges

If that were true,why would he jump bail to avoid being questioned about the sex charges and why would he be hiding out from the authorities?

This is pretty comical really. He claims to be innocent, but is doing his best to get stuck in one building for the rest of his life to avoid getting sent to Sweden which is known for having one of the mosy honest, most independent justice systems in the whole world. whistling.gif

how can you be guilty or innocent when you haven't been charged with anything?blink.png

and you know full well he jumped bail to avoid getting the same treatment as Bradley Manning

• Like 1

how can you be guilty or innocent when you haven't been charged with anything?blink.png

and you know full well he jumped bail to avoid getting the same treatment as Bradley Manning

Apples and oranges. Bradley Manning is a US citizen serving the US Army.

Assange is, presently, an Australian citizen serving only himself.

How do you know what the US government really wants? You might be stretching the envelope a little bit there.

U.S studios and producers are fighting over the movie rights, maybe they want him brought to the U.S for a signature.

• Like 1

Off-topic post deleted.

There are a lot of aspects to this case and thus a lot of comments about them. Posting replies to posts which are not about the topic and likely to take it further off-topic are being deleted.

It is reasonably pretty good in the embassy which is exactly where he will be spending many years if Equador decides to hide him from facing jusice.

He still won't be able to go outside the grounds, but at least the Americans can't execute him and that is what he was seeking asylum on. The persecution he was facing from the U.S.

The US can more easily execute him if he is in Ecuador than if he is in the European Union and that is what Assange "claims" he is worried about. It just proves that Assange is a liar about his fears. When he goes to Ecuador and winds up dead with a year, I hope his supporters don't start crying around here since you guys wanted him there.

• Like 1

The US can more easily execute him if he is in Ecuador than if he is in the European Union and that is what Assange "claims" he is worried about. It just proves that Assange is a liar about his fears. When he goes to Ecuador and winds up dead with a year, I hope his supporters don't start crying around here since you guys wanted him there.

change "execute him" into "murder him" and i agree with you.

• Like 1