Work Permit Required?

Hi,

The company I work for in the UK is currently employing a Thai company to work on a project for us

My company wants me to act as a liaison out in Thailand to help ensure that are requirements are understood

I will be employed by the UK company and my wages will be paid into a UK bank account but I will be working in the office of the Thai company at least one day a week attending meetings and doing the job that I would normally do for the UK company

I'm not sure of the duration yet but given the size of the project it could run into months more likely a couple of years

My wife is a Thai national so I know I can get a visa to visit her and then get an extension based on supporting her

It is the work permit side of things that I am not sure about

If I was employed by the Thai company I know they would need to issue me with a visa but as I will still be employed my UK employers I'm not sure what I need to do

All help and advice gratefully accepted

Thanks for the advice so far

I'll ask the Thai company if they're willing to sponsor me - in the meantime I'll ask my uk employers to draw up a letter explaining their relationship with the Thai company and the role they wish me to undertake plus invoices we've received from the Thai company over the last 6 months

If I get a similar letter from the Thai company that also states they are willing to sponsor me for the wp plus copies of paperwork showing receipt of payment for the invoices will that be enough or is there anything additional that you'd recommend?

Here is more informative topic for this:

http://www.thaivisa....it/page__st__25

You have to work and be part of Thailand based company in order to get work permit. Many work without work permit because they cannot get one in similar situations and Thai officials seem not be interested in remote workers.

They do not have any business in Thailand, only overseas. If doing it by yourself, you would need to setup a Thai company and employ four Thais for each work permit applied. It is a Catch-22.

Edited by tim73

Thanks for the advice so far

I'll ask the Thai company if they're willing to sponsor me - in the meantime I'll ask my uk employers to draw up a letter explaining their relationship with the Thai company and the role they wish me to undertake plus invoices we've received from the Thai company over the last 6 months

If I get a similar letter from the Thai company that also states they are willing to sponsor me for the wp plus copies of paperwork showing receipt of payment for the invoices will that be enough or is there anything additional that you'd recommend?

Best someone from the Thai Company working for your UK Employer now goes to Labour and gets a list of requirements for them to sponsor your WP application - each area will have it's own particular variations/requirements.

Don't go your self without a Thai/English translator as the issues for sponsorship can be complex to explain and are by no means common garden/run of the mill.