Chiang Mai Tops The List In "Six Global Destinations For An Affordable Retirement"

Baloo22

Sorry to interrupt You guys..:) Maybe there's another thread for my questions, if so just throw my out..

If You have a budget for rent ( I want a condo) of 12000 - 14000 baht plus water/el with a balcony decent security and a good location

You think that's realistic ? For at least a Year..and You definitely need a transportation in CM right?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to interrupt You guys..smile.png Maybe there's another thread for my questions, if so just throw my out..

If You have a budget for rent ( I want a condo) of 12000 - 14000 baht plus water/el with a balcony decent security and a good location

You think that's realistic ? For at least a Year..and You definitely need a transportation in CM right?

1. you can definitely rent a studio condo for much less than 12-14k/month. If you're smart, like our friend Barry the Canadian (whom I know), you can negotiate a multi-year deal and pay for some improvements yourself and rent a 100 sq. meter condo in that price range with good location and security. Balcony -- I don't know -- most of us who have been here a while end up converting the balcony to some other use.

2. No you don't need your own transportation in CM if you plan to hang out in the city. Hubby and I use song thaews and tuk-tuk's because ours (and Barry's) building is centrally located. When we want to go out of town for a weekend, we hire a car and driver. Much cheaper in the long run than buying a car, only to have it disappear with your Thai "houseboy" when you're in the hospital for spinal fusion surgery.

• Like 1

I don't know how many 'Canadian Barry's' there are in Chiang Mai , but the one I know well, is seething at the moment as his idyllic retirement is about to be cut short by the Canadian government who are currently debating a new law that would require him (and all Canadian retirees) to spend at least 6 months per year in Canada or lose their pensions. Australians already find it difficult to access their pensions if they choose to live outside Australia and Brits get their pensions frozen if they move here. It seems that the retirees home countries aren't keen to see them take their disposable income to exotic foreign locations like Chiang Mai!

Any Australians out there living in Chiang Mai and still manage get age pension from Centerlink, please share your advise?

It is only the disability pensioners that are having/about to have a problem.

Old age pensioners are still OK.

For those who budget properly and have Thai or western food at local cafes and have the occasional treats in nicer places at hotels ...this place is unbeatable

Just went back to native Singapore for 3 nights and what I spend on hotels and food will last me at least 2-3 weeks in CM

And there will never be toothy retirees or foreigners here ....just go to any Tesco or Big C ...if you don't see more than 10 foreigners in MK ...we are still good :-) simple tool like the big Mac price index ...oops did i start another war of posts with the mention of Mcd ?

Enjoy CM for many more years to come ...it's a nice city all in for me and I will not go anywhere else

I don't know how many 'Canadian Barry's' there are in Chiang Mai , but the one I know well, is seething at the moment as his idyllic retirement is about to be cut short by the Canadian government who are currently debating a new law that would require him (and all Canadian retirees) to spend at least 6 months per year in Canada or lose their pensions. Australians already find it difficult to access their pensions if they choose to live outside Australia and Brits get their pensions frozen if they move here. It seems that the retirees home countries aren't keen to see them take their disposable income to exotic foreign locations like Chiang Mai!

I'd appreciate a link to some info on that if you can get your friend do supply one. I am Canadian and I follow politics and pension issues very closely. The CPP (Canada Pension Plan) has just been altered but, nothing new will take affect for 15 years and at that, the only real change is that the first supplement (Old Age Security) which can be collected now at 65 years of age and anywhere in the world, will have the qualifying age raised to 67. There has never been, to my knowledge, any debate on a 6 month requirement other than we lose our health coverage and we do not qualify for the 3rd leg of the pension plan (Guaranteed Income Supplement) which is paid to low income retirees and only if you live in Canada.

The Barry the Canadian i know isnt internet savvy, so probably gleaned the information from The Globe and Mail. I'll pass on your good news! I'm sure it will make him very happy!

I'd appreciate a link to some info on that if you can get your friend do supply one. I am Canadian and I follow politics and pension issues very closely. The CPP (Canada Pension Plan) has just been altered but, nothing new will take affect for 15 years and at that, the only real change is that the first supplement (Old Age Security) which can be collected now at 65 years of age and anywhere in the world, will have the qualifying age raised to 67. There has never been, to my knowledge, any debate on a 6 month requirement other than we lose our health coverage and we do not qualify for the 3rd leg of the pension plan (Guaranteed Income Supplement) which is paid to low income retirees and only if you live in Canada.

i'm also Canadian and have done a fair bit of research on CPP / OAS and the top up GIS. GIS is the only one that requires being in the country 6 months per year, if anyone has any info to the contrary please post it.

Thanks.