Thai Government To Unveil "Stop Corruption" Ratification

webfact

Gov't to unveil "stop corruption" ratification

30188444-01_big.jpg

Niwatumrong//Photo : Vorawit Pumpuang

BANGKOK: -- The government will on Saturday unveil the ratification designed to stop corruption and backed by all agencies, PM's Office Minister Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan said on Thursday.

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will personally spearhead the antigraft campaign," he said.

Niwattumrong said all units of the government, including 144 departments and 76 provinces would take part in rooting out corruption.

Since last month, PM Yingluck has instructed for every department to map out antigraft work plans. The government has also opened a 1206 hotline inviting the public to alert the authorities about graft violations.

Based on tipsoff from the hotline, abuse of power is most common among graft violations, followed by demanding kickbacks, irregularities in connection with flood compensation payments, rice pledging scheme and construction project bidding.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-16

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If (big if) this succeeds in reducing corruption, what will happen to the Thai economy? The economy of graft and corruption is what keeps this country ticking, remove the corruption too quick and the economy just may go through a time of collapse until it adjusts.

Some of the scenario's if they took it serious are interesting. Yingluck v the convicted fugitive criminals police mob.

Good thing is even when the vendor with her under weighting scales sells you less than what her scales are showing, or the cabbie is ripping you off, or you are slamed with falang rates..insert all the never ending scenarios, then one can ring 1206 and let rip...yah for Yingluck.

The ultimate of scams in Thailand and endorsed buy the most corrupt

Set up a hotline for corruption, then charge that caller 20 baht for leaving a complaint. It wont go directly in YS's account but it will eventually get there.

Why didnt I think of that.

• Like 1

Some of the scenario's if they took it serious are interesting. Yingluck v the convicted fugitive criminals police mob.

Good thing is even when the vendor with her under weighting scales sells you less than what her scales are showing, or the cabbie is ripping you off, or you are slamed with falang rates..insert all the never ending scenarios, then one can ring 1206 and let rip...yah for Yingluck.

At most that's what this initiative will address (for certain, very low values of address), small scale, little people corruption. The fat cats will continue to milk the system.

• Like 1

Maybe she can get that done in 3 months with the help of that dead deat Charlerm. coffee1.gif

Last saturday i sat on the beach in Pattya and watched the youtube jetski scams unfold all day long,even the same faces, if i had been a dedicated police officer i cauld have had about ten of them arrested and convicted with video and sound, so it cauld be improved easily, but it wont! This new policy is jus another budget to line somones pocket. Last christmass and newyear i had no internet for two weeks, when i phoned T.O.T. they said its o.k. noone has internet.........acceptance.........This is a third world country because the Thai ppl accept the coruption,racism,sexism etc.
  • Like 2

Maybe she can get that done in 3 months with the help of that dead deat Charlerm. coffee1.gif

Last saturday i sat on the beach in Pattya and watched the youtube jetski scams unfold all day long,even the same faces, if i had been a dedicated police officer i cauld have had about ten of them arrested and convicted with video and sound, so it cauld be improved easily, but it wont! This new policy is jus another budget to line somones pocket. Last christmass and newyear i had no internet for two weeks, when i phoned T.O.T. they said its o.k. noone has internet.........acceptance.........This is a third world country because the Thai ppl accept the coruption,racism,sexism etc.

they don't however accept it when it comes to an Olympic boxing match...oh no that's an outrage. Our Thai boxer was cheated due to corruption by the Chinese and the boxing association so we are outraged but massive, out of control corruption that happens here at home um no problem.

• Like 1

Thailand continues to rank at the bottom, of the countries in Asia that are making an attempt to fight corruption. So, for her to make a pronouncement like this is laughable. It is nothing more than comedy,except it is not funny. While Malaysia, Indonesia, China, Vietnam, the Philippines, and even India to aminor degree have been making some efforts to fight this disease for years now, Thailand continues

it's great slumber. The thing that sets Thailand apart, is it's absolute unwillingness, inability, and lack of motivation, to do anything that will signify progress, or the ability to move the nation

forward. It appears to be rooted in the unwillingness to take on the status quo. What has changed? Egg on the face by the foreign press only causes these silly announcement to be made. It does not cause

anything to change. If there is anything one can be sure of in the LOS, is that nothing will change.

• Like 1

"Thailand ranks 80th in the 2011 Corruption Perception Index (CPI)-Business-Thailand Business...

According to the latest Transparency International Corruption Perception Index (CPI) released on Thursday,

Thailand received 3.4 points on a scale of 1 to 10, and ranked 80th among 183 countries on the list.

Ten Points means a country has a low corruption level, while zero equates to a high of corruption."

This is a quotation from the year 2011, and I doubt that it has changed any since 2011. coffee1.gif

Thailand is probably not aware of any list at all, but they are definetly on the Poop List inspite of the

H A S AWARD giggle.gif

In light of the EZ-Bribe A Cop Card, convicted murders going free, etc etc etc...my guess is they

have slid further down hill. I would give them a score of 1.75

Edited by jerrysteve

What the governments want to ensure with the anit-corruption program, is that only a few selected officials get the money. There for if you are not one of the select few, than you will be stomped out for corruption.

• Like 1

HAHAHAHA .. it's a big joke. Everybody in at least the local government level is guilty of exactly the crimes described here: "abuse of power is most common among graft violations, followed by demanding kickbacks, irregularities in connection with flood compensation payments, rice pledging scheme and construction project bidding."

If they were to stop these corrupt activities what are they going to live on? 5,000 THB a month salary? If the government was serious about even starting tacking the corruption it should double or triple the salaries of government officials and servants, including the police officers FIRST. Then issue a "code of conduct" making it clear what practices are forbidden. Then enforce the regulation and start sacking if not jailing people acting in the old ways. THEN give out the "ratification" to the well performing cells and individuals. As it is, it looks like they are starting from the end, putting a lipstick on a dead body.

• Like 2